"The Green Bastard" My free 85 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think a better name would be "The Vomit Comet" ;)

I'm thinking that OSB sunroof isn't gonna last, it will delaminate and fall apart the first time it gets wet.

I'll sell you all the parts you need for the W56 to fix the Reverse. They will be wrapped inside an entire transmission, you'll have to remove them as needed.

(still trying to get this thing out of my garage)

Looks like you've got some kind of lift springs on there all ready! Nice score!

I still have under $500 in my '80 longbed. It needed plugs and wires and some tweaking. The heater still doesnt' blow yet but I've been to busy to tear into the dash. I ended up welding the rear and got a free locker from a buddy for the front end. If you shop and be patient you can keep it cheap but capable. I'm going for the old man look to keep it a sleeper. Now if I can just find some free 31" tires.
Wheel On!

The reverse gear and reverse idler gear appear to be the same for the G52-W56 transmissions. So says the toyodiy.com part number site....

Edit: The gears are not the same!!!!!! Wristy was right... :D

Here's a little tease:

DSC06782.JPG
DSC06794.JPG

Last edited:
Well, I'm running out of things to fix finally. I had to weld on a couple new teeth for the drivers side window. And I need to figure out why my temp gauge isn't working.

Here's a few pics of it stretching it's legs yesterday.

DSC06811.JPG
DSC06814.JPG
DSC06824.JPG

And to think, I've tossed out a few sets of manual cranks when making half doors....

Still looking ugly :)

Those 16's look good. Was the backspacing OK?

I was in Y today but didn't have your # on me, didn't know if you were workin' or not.

It just screams teenage mutant ninja turtle.. Ninja Combat Vehicle logo on the side with a throwing star emblem and you could wear a really bright red sweatband/bandana... Yeah BABY!

I never even checked the backspacing, but they fit fine. I should wear a headband when I drive it though... :D

I wasn't in Y-town today, so no near miss... Hehehe

Does anyone have some yellow and red paint???? :D

Last edited:
In all its dualcasieness:

DSC06720.JPG

DSC07496.JPG

Note the center shifter is a slightly modified forward shifting T-case shifter mount. I drilled out 2 of the holes and did some grinding on the end of the shifter to make it work.

DSC06770.JPG

A bit nasty inside the bellhousing...

DSC06773.JPG

OK, so the bad news is the reverse gears are not the same between the G52 and W56.... So I gave a whirl at welding them up... Yes I know the gears are hardened etc. We'll just have to see how it goes.

DSC06799.JPG

Last edited:
[QUOTE\]
OK, so the bad news is the reverse gears are not the same between the G52 and W56.... So I gave a whirl at welding them up... Yes I know the gears are hardened etc. We'll just have to see how it goes.

DSC06799.JPG
[/QUOTE]

Sweet!!!:cheers:

Nice fix! Can't get any worse than it was right? I want duals in my '80 so bad...

Thats and interesting idea, pure brilliance! I wouldnt put much torque on it, it cant be worse than it was before (unless you sheer the new 'teeth' off and ruin the rest of it...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom