Builds The Drifter - 2019 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A few shots of the trekboxx. Love it so far. Big thanks to David for working with me on the electronics install.

AAA7E222-4033-407F-A2A5-0D025FA80693.jpeg

AA0B9913-A36C-482A-9467-F2B27A8755D2.jpeg

477FB399-4FD7-4346-BECC-088C865E53C8.jpeg

12E4B2CF-DA7B-4920-A6E1-229DBAD03FA6.jpeg

Last edited:
Recently got the rig back from some downtime with @Eric Sarjeant while I was out of country for several months.

A huge thank you to Eric, who was kind enough to look after my rig and facilitate a few upgrades while I was away.

Recent updates include:

- A Camp King Industries aluminum rooftop tent with an integrated 220W flexible Merlin PV panel and internal power/lighting, mounted to the Gamiviti rack
- Re-installation of the Alu-Cab Shadow-Awn to the rigid shell of the RTT
- Addition of a Quick-Pitch Ensuite
- Rigid midnight D-series reverse lights custom mounted in rear housing
- Rock lights
- Rigid Scene lights
- WeBoost Drive-Reach cell extender
- Switch Pro 9100 with hidden mount in the sunglasses holder

Big thanks to Scott at American Eagle Equipment as well, who re-wired the electrical and did several of the installs. Still have a couple of things to work out but overall I'm extremely pleased with how the setup has progressed.

Once I have a little more time with the updates I'll do a more detailed review of each.

IMG_0910.JPG

IMG_0857.JPG

IMG_0854.JPG

IMG_0861.JPG

Since I don't have a rear steel bumper at the moment and I lost some of the storage on my rack with the RTT, I added the dual rotopax carrier to my Wilco Hitchgate Solo and modified it to accept a skinny propane tank. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out as a removable tire/gas/water/propane solution. The propane tank uses a powertank mount to a structural steel T bracket.

IMG_0906.JPG
IMG_0907.JPG
IMG_0908.jpg

Since I don't have a rear steel bumper at the moment and I lost some of the storage on my rack with the RTT, I added the dual rotopax carrier to my Wilco Hitchgate Solo and modified it to accept a skinny propane tank. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out as a removable tire/gas/water/propane solution. The propane tank uses a powertank mount to a structural steel T bracket.

View attachment 2374073View attachment 2374074View attachment 2374075
How big of a rotopax can you fit onto the Wilco? I’m looking at this solution for both an additional spare and extra fuel for an Alaska trip next year.

How big of a rotopax can you fit onto the Wilco? I’m looking at this solution for both an additional spare and extra fuel for an Alaska trip next year.

You could easily run two 3.5g fuelpax, beyond that I’m not sure...

Yes, the Wilco is a swing-out cantilever

Yep, no problem there. Adding the Rotopax makes the clearance a bit tighter, but you just have to swing it out a little more and be conscious if you're parked on a steep incline. I wish the Wilco had a lock-open mechanism/pin rather than friction only but other than that it's been a good piece of kit.

can the tailgate be dropped with the wilco tire carrier??

View attachment 2374075

I've been interested in the Hitchgate also due to a few factors:
  1. Quick install
  2. Versatility (tire, fuel, can attach a cooking shelf, etc.)
  3. "Removability" so it's only there when you go on trips
How much do you think it affects departure angle? Is it sturdy enough to take a bump and scrape once in a while as you drive off a low shelf? I'd probably get the version that had the additional receiver for a bike rack.

It definitely affects the departure angle, but it can handle some bumps/scrapes -- mine has. I wouldn't treat it like a slider or armored bumper though. I doubt the hitch linkage is designed to take that kind of loading from underneath. That said, as long as you are cognizant that it's back there and don't abuse it, it'll probably be fine. I have no issue wheeling with mine. Hope that helps.

It definitely affects the departure angle, but it can handle some bumps/scrapes -- mine has. I wouldn't treat it like a slider or armored bumper though. I doubt the hitch linkage is designed to take that kind of loading from underneath. That said, as long as you are cognizant that it's back there and don't abuse it, it'll probably be fine. I have no issue wheeling with mine. Hope that helps.
According to the Wilco site, Solo can only handle 150 pounds total. I'm guessing your tire/wheel combo plus the propane and Roto's weigh in less than that?

Also, do you think you could mount a Hi Lift jack to one side of the dual RotoPax holder? So, RotoPax on one side, propane in the middle, and Hi Lift mounted vertically on the other side? Obviously would need to come up with some hardware to attach it but I'm pretty creative in that area.

Lastly, where did you get that propane tank? I'm looking for something similar but all I'm finding are the Worthingtons/Flame Kings that are kinda short and fat.

Last edited:
I can tell you that a 305/70/18 on a bbs wheel weighs right at 100lbs.
The propane tank in the picture is the worthington, but I haven’t been able to find one at a reputable place that isn’t way overpriced. I think they used to be $200

Worthington 299494 6-Pound Aluminum Propane Cylinder With Type 1 With Overflow Prevention Device Valve Amazon product ASIN B004FPZABK

Sorry to squat on your build thread, but I couldn't find what firdge that was. Is that the SnoMaster? Which one is it? I am looking at it ad Luna and I am also getting the Alpha from Dave at TrekBoxx.

According to the Wilco site, Solo can only handle 150 pounds total. I'm guessing your tire/wheel combo plus the propane and Roto's weigh in less than that?

Also, do you think you could mount a Hi Lift jack to one side of the dual RotoPax holder? So, RotoPax on one side, propane in the middle, and Hi Lift mounted vertically on the other side? Obviously would need to come up with some hardware to attach it but I'm pretty creative in that area.

Lastly, where did you get that propane tank? I'm looking for something similar but all I'm finding are the Worthingtons/Flame Kings that are kinda short and fat.
Yes, the fully-loaded setup weighs less than 150 with the pax and propane, but not by much. Mounting a high-lift on one side shouldn't be a problem.

I got lucky and picked up the 6lb worthington from West Marine during a sale. I waited for a while, though...pricing on them can be all over the place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom