Builds The Architect's '77 FJ40 (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, well, well.....look what came back from the upholsters. My Procar front seats now have some smaller cousins for rear seats. I know what I'll be doing tonight.

IMG_1184.JPG

IMG_1182.JPG

The cloth seats appear to have been in good shape.
They were in good shape and matched the front seat covering on the original seat frames when I got my FJ40. The gray cloth upholstery was probably installed around '94 (+/-).

Black vinyl looks so much better. Good job.

Noticing my battery being a little on the sluggish side while cranking the past few days, hooked up a meter to check.......Dang, no charging! Time for a new alternator.

While I would guess you will go with OEM, I have had great luck with my Mean Green alternator (and starter).

How coincidental. Check my alternator thread.
Yep, your post happen to be the last one I read before I left my office.....And why I left, to take my daughter to get her car back from the mechanic. While I was there, "Hey, you mind putting a meter on my alternator to see if it's charging? My cruiser seems to sluggish on starting"...."Sorry, you 40 needs an alternator. But Man, it sure is a cool rig! How much would you take for it?"...."Not for sale, but you can order me an alternator and a new Interstate MPT-78DT."

Yes, I'll be installing an alternator & battery tomorrow. Good thing to get that done now, Winter is on its way.

While I would guess you will go with OEM, I have had great luck with my Mean Green alternator (and starter).
Yep, I"ll stick with what is currently an OEM specified product. But I'll research the Green alternator and starter, thanks.

I wasn't able to get the alternator installed on Friday, but should be installed Monday. In the mean time, I've removed two after market additional wires some PO installed. One was a wire from the starter to the alternator, attached to the "B" lug on each. The other was an extension installed on the white wire with the fused link that goes from the ammeter to the battery. It was actually run to the starter's "B" lug. Here is what my alternator & the ammeter wire connection looks like now.

IMG_1251.JPG

IMG_1253.JPG

Here are the two wires that were removed.
IMG_1248.JPG

The Talking Heads in stereo?

I wasn't able to get the alternator installed on Friday, but should be installed Monday. In the mean time, I've removed two after market additional wires some PO installed. One was a wire from the starter to the alternator, attached to the "B" lug on each. The other was an extension installed on the white wire with the fused link that goes from the ammeter to the battery. It was actually run to the starter's "B" lug. Here is what my alternator & the ammeter wire connection looks like now.

View attachment 1004931
View attachment 1004932

Here are the two wires that were removed.
View attachment 1004934

I can't believe the PO used a side terminal battery, that's a short waiting to happen.
img_1253-jpg.1004932

I can't believe the PO used a side terminal battery, that's a short waiting to happen.
img_1253-jpg.1004932
Mike,
The battery is a dual top & side post battery. The top (+) is for the starter and the top (-) is for the ground & winch ground. The side (+)terminal is only for the winch and where I located the white wire with the fuse line from the Ammeter. That wire had a ring terminal on it, and the top battery (+) post doesn't have a second wire connection location. I'm probably going to get a different starter line with an additional post terminal to locate both these connections in the future.

battery_terms.jpg

Question: Why do you feel that the side terminal hook-up is a short waiting to happen?

Pulled the Alternator last night, which was a fight with-in itself, and it is a Toyota - Denso unit. In lieu of replacing it, I'm going to have it rebuilt.....Also, when I reinstall this unit, I'm going to realign the A/C & Alternator pulley to the Crank pulley. I guess when the A/C was installed, the alternator tension bracket got all skewed and didn't align properly.

Mike,
The battery is a dual top & side post battery. The top (+) is for the starter and the top (-) is for the ground & winch ground. The side (+)terminal is only for the winch and where I located the white wire with the fuse line from the Ammeter. That wire had a ring terminal on it, and the top battery (+) post doesn't have a second wire connection location. I'm probably going to get a different starter line with an additional post terminal to locate both these connections in the future.

battery_terms.jpg

Question: Why do you feel that the side terminal hook-up is a short waiting to happen?

Due to the proximity of the side posts to other components and as such the chance of a short is amplified. I see a plastic cover on the one visible terminal which appears to be a good short circuit deterrent.

Due to the proximity of the side posts to other components and as such the chance of a short is amplified. I see a plastic cover on the one visible terminal which appears to be a good short circuit deterrent.
No worries on the side post items....In a week or so, I'll have a before and after on the new military style battery terminals and coverings.

Update on the Alternator....Took my Toyota - Denso to a local shop, asked them to check it before starting any work. To my surprise, it was deemed A-OK and strong. Saved me about $75 bucks. Thus, the problem must have been in the white-green striped wire being broken at the terminal. A quick repair with two female covered connectors and I'm back on the road. I reinstalled the Alternator, put my volt meter on the battery and read 12.42 at rest, and 14.50 cranked. Also, the Ammeter was jumping when switching on the lights on/off and when the turn signals are on. I'll do some research to see it that is normal, but it is a 37 year old system. It used to just sit in the center between +30 & -30, and least now I know current is flowing through it. :)

Looking forward to getting my package from Coolerman and replacing the two female connectors on the Alternator to the correct single female triple post connector. Not to mention getting my military style battery terminal upgrades. :grinpimp:

Oh, installed my new Rockford Fosgate speakers, but kept the old vintage looking speaker covers......"Take me to the River" sounds great thru the new technology, and will even sound better once a new/old shaft-style head unit is purchased and installed. That should be part of the January modifications to my rig. :hillbilly:

Last edited:
Research completed: Per Mr. Rudi's AMP gauge video from this thread, I suspect mine is just fine. The jumping around turning on the lights and turn signals, it is just a friendly reminder letting me know that current is being used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom