The age old engine dilemma. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
B595D2C8-9B22-4507-BEA0-F048A5D42288.jpeg
Hi all, new here to the forum and a new fj62 owner(approximately a month). I recently acquired a 1990 fj62 with 220,000 miles In excellent shape condsidering it’s age. It’s a complete rig, the paint has a few spots where the clear coats oxidized, minimal body flaws, almost no rust, great interior, and has a FJ60 front end swap. I took it to Toyota last week and it got a clean bill of health other than what’s to be expected for a vehicle this age.

Ive been going through all the normal wear items, new tires 31” good year authorities, tune up, oil change, belts all new fluids, thermostat, and brakes. Tie rods ends, birfs, and a ome 2” is next on the list. I want to get it mechanically to a almost new state and make this a reliable truck for weekend camping trips, mild off roading and travels within Washington state.

The problem I have with it is the transmission feels like the 90’s got the better part of it, which opens up a ton of options to deal with. The engine runs great and definitely feels like it has lots of life left. It seems as though the H55f is a popular upgrade in these rigs and I’m open to doing the swap. If I were to make the switch would I notice any better performance out of the 3fe? I understand these things aren’t race cars and just going the speed limit and keeping up in traffic should be something to be happy with. Although not opposed too, power isn’t really my main goal with this project, I would be just as happy with the 3fe granted the trans is doing it justice. Long term reliability and parts availablity is the main concern here. I have a few options I’ve played out I’m just not sure which is the best to go with. As with any build cost is being kept in mind, as well as if going through the headaches of a ls swap is really worth it if I’m not really chasing v8 power. I currently live in a apartment and wouldn’t have space to do anything beyond a oil change or brake job for about another year-two. It’s probably important to note that I’m fairly mechanically inclined, the idea of a engine swap isn’t overwhelming to me.

Option 1: Run it as is until funds are there & have my own space to do the ls swap with a 4l60e transmission

Option 2: Do the H55f swap behind the 3fe, run it for a few years, then do the ls swap using the H55f

Option 3: Do the H55f swap, run it for a few years, then have the engine rebuilt a few years down the road.

I understand option 2&3 is kinda like comparing apples and oranges with option 1(manual vs auto) but a 4l60e is $1500 rebuilt and wouldn’t need engine to trans adapters vs finding a already more expensive H55f, adapters, exct, exct... I’ve otherwise talked myself into ls swap having a ton of pros and only cons being cost and convenience, I just need someone to convince me to keep the old 3fe

Nice rig! love the two tone 62 with the 60 front end, never seen that combo before.

I'm a big fan of anything Toyota being under the hood...nothing wrong with the LS stuff, just not my cup of tea personally. The 3FE with a 5 speed behind is a great combo...especially after a good rebuild. If you just do a h55 conversion you will notice the difference in a good way, your a440 robs the 3fe of its power and with a manual your getting direct power which in turn makes it feel faster. You will definitely like it.

But when your considering a v8 theres no comparison....

I vote option 3, because I'm a stubborn Toyota loyalist

My vote: just drive it like it is. It still has plenty of life left in it. You will change your mind what you want to do with it by the time you're actually ready to do something.

My vote: just drive it like it is. It still has plenty of life left in it. You will change your mind what you want to do with it by the time you're actually ready to do something.

X2, and don't do the lift, it looks perfect as is. Well, maybe remove the running boards.

What seems to be wrong with the transmission?

X2, and don't do the lift, it looks perfect as is. Well, maybe remove the running boards.

What seems to be wrong with the transmission?

Well, I don’t have another automatic cruiser to compare it too, but it seems to have a good amount of play or slop when shifting into gear from park or reverse, also shifts pretty rough. I don’t have a ton of experience with cruisers but if it made it more reliable and enjoyable to drive I’d rather do something sooner than later. You guys are probably right, it could have life left in it I’d rather just not find the end of it lol.

My vote, having just picked up a 235k mile 62 last summer - do a fluid change, converting to full synthetic in the tranny - the seal between the tranny and transfer case will eventually fail (if it hasn't already), causing ATF to migrate into the transfer case and potentially causing some rough shifting.

First thing I did was spend the weekend changing fluids; oil poured out of the fill plug for the transfer case, so confirmed my suspicions. New full synthetic gear oil in the transfer, and quality synthetic ATF in the tranny. Made a night and day difference, truck shifts much smoother for very little investment. Truck is still shifting decent 6k miles and 6 months later, no significant discoloration or change in the odor of the ATF (i.e. not smelling burnt).

Might at least buy you some time while you decide how best to proceed and get your game plan sorted; you are likely going to have a host of improvements you will want to do and this lets you keep driving the rig while you figure it out.

My $0.02

Well, I don’t have another automatic cruiser to compare it too, but it seems to have a good amount of play or slop when shifting into gear from park or reverse, also shifts pretty rough. I don’t have a ton of experience with cruisers but if it made it more reliable and enjoyable to drive I’d rather do something sooner than later. You guys are probably right, it could have life left in it I’d rather just not find the end of it lol.

Yeah, it shouldn't be shifting rough. I guess if you can afford the H55 swap there's no reason to postpone it.

I told myself I’d have an engine swap within a few years of owning my 60.

I’ve now moved to an h55f swap soon with my perfect running 300,000 mike 2F chugging along with no end in site. It still makes near factory compression, starts perfectly and doesn’t smoke.

I think if you get yours running like factory, you’ll be charmed to the point that you forget about how slow it is.

I’m not replacing mine til it can’t move the truck.

I told myself I’d have an engine swap within a few years of owning my 60.

I’ve now moved to an h55f swap soon with my perfect running 300,000 mike 2F chugging along with no end in site. It still makes near factory compression, starts perfectly and doesn’t smoke.

I think if you get yours running like factory, you’ll be charmed to the point that you forget about how slow it is.

I’m not replacing mine til it can’t move the truck.

I’m leaning towards the H55f swap this summer then do a engine rebuild in a few years. I didn’t buy it to go fast, just bought it to get where I’m going in a classic wagon, as others have stated, life slows down when you’re in a cruiser.

A reputable local shop quoted me $1500 in labor to rebuild the engine with me supplying parts. I figure that should last me another 10-15+ years and by then it’s probably going to need a frame off anyways, which I can then consider other engine options.

In the meantime, I’m on the hunt for a rear hatch door. The little bit of rust I have is supposedly a major issue and the local body shop suggested I find another door than try fixing this one as it’s already been repaired in the past. If anyone knows where I can find one let me know please!

In the meantime, I’m on the hunt for a rear hatch door. The little bit of rust I have is supposedly a major issue and the local body shop suggested I find another door than try fixing this one as it’s already been repaired in the past. If anyone knows where I can find one let me know please!

Post an add in the parts wanted section of this forum. If none of our used parts members have one available, there's always Cruiserparts.net.

I would first change the fluids like suggested above. It looks like it had some suspension work done or was someone hiding flat springs with new shackles?

If that all checks out I would do other misc like interior work, paint and body, etc.

You will loose interest in jacking with the drivetrain if all works well. I lost interest in even doing exhaust pretty quickly.

A reputable local shop quoted me $1500 in labor to rebuild the engine with me supplying parts. I figure that should last me another 10-15+ years and by then it’s probably going to need a frame off anyways, which I can then consider other engine options.
Are there any mechanical faults? Does the engine smoke or is it lacking power?

You probably won’t be amazed in terms of power if you rebuild the engine.

Engine rebuilds can get a little sketchy on these 80s emission clad vehicles, pre OBD2 days. Lot of parts to put back together, just my opinion but that’s why you see some SBC and LS swaps. Mine is approaching 200k miles and I was surprised how strong it still is. I bought the cleanest one I could find but expecting the drivetrain to be a basket case and it wasn’t (although it was flat towed behind a motorhome so more than likely less real miles on it).

Anyway, I would do a wet and dry compression test, if it’s out of wack you can do things like Seafoam, valve adjustment, engine restore in a can, block sealer, and typical maintenance to see where you really stand. I would also replace the maze of hoses under the hood if everything is good...

Part of the endearing factors in these is just how adequate the engines are and only that. Not bragging about how big my third member is. Unless you want a hot rod or trail truck I would skip the LS swap for now and get everything else top notch. Just my opinion...

Nothing has made me as giddy as driving my new engine swaps. That transition from just barely putting up hills, to blazing(actually accelerating) up long highway inclines @70mph is a VERY fulfilling sensation. I've never gotten that kind of satisfaction from new brakes, or big tires, or suspension mods.

To this day, spanking my cruiser puts a $hit eating grin on my face. Every time.

Just my opinion. .

I would first change the fluids like suggested above. It looks like it had some suspension work done or was someone hiding flat springs with new shackles?

If that all checks out I would do other misc like interior work, paint and body, etc.

You will loose interest in jacking with the drivetrain if all works well. I lost interest in even doing exhaust pretty quickly.
Engine rebuilds can get a little sketchy on these 80s emission clad vehicles, pre OBD2 days. Lot of parts to put back together, just my opinion but that’s why you see some SBC and LS swaps. Mine is approaching 200k miles and I was surprised how strong it still is. I bought the cleanest one I could find but expecting the drivetrain to be a basket case and it wasn’t (although it was flat towed behind a motorhome so more than likely less real miles on it).

Anyway, I would do a wet and dry compression test, if it’s out of wack you can do things like Seafoam, valve adjustment, engine restore in a can, block sealer, and typical maintenance to see where you really stand. I would also replace the maze of hoses under the hood if everything is good...

Part of the endearing factors in these is just how adequate the engines are and only that. Not bragging about how big my third member is. Unless you want a hot rod or trail truck I would skip the LS swap for now and get everything else top notch. Just my opinion...

My thoughts exactly. I figured with 220,000 it would be on a downhill path, while the trans doesn’t make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, the engine seems to run perfectly. I don’t know how many owners this things had but someone took decent care of it for most of its life, changed the fluids but didn’t do much more than that. At some point someone tinkered with the interior, it has nice plaid seats, a Tuffy box with custom leather top, matching steering wheel wrap and did the FJ60 front end conversion so whoever did that probably had some pride for the old girl. The guy I got it from is not a car guy by any means and bought it because it’s “the car to have” in Portland right now. Having said that, my girlfriend drove it over the cascades to get it home for me and it went about 35 mph up some of the hills. I was pulling a trailer with my pickup and the whole time could only think of the worst after just paying 8k for a 28 year old wagon Immediately checked the air filter and plugs when I got it home. The filter had seen better days, and the denso plugs (guessing original) literally had no gap left in them they were so fouled up. I gave it a major tune up, ran a can of sea foam through the intake, changed the oil twice, once with a quart of kerosene ran at a idle for about 10 minuets and it runs like brand new. The valves quited down quite a bit & definitely has more power. The oil change with the kerosene didn’t have any abnormal amount of sludge/discoloration for a oil change with less than a few hundred miles so I would think the engine is fairly clean inside.
I think I have a good running engine that’s probably capable of another 100,000+ I’d like to get a compression test done, and replace the the maze of hoses & vacuum lines, all things I can do in the driveway of my apt. I’m thinking the best route to take is do the H55f swap and address the engine issue when it becomes one.

Nothing has made me as giddy as driving my new engine swaps. That transition from just barely putting up hills, to blazing(actually accelerating) up long highway inclines @70mph is a VERY fulfilling sensation. I've never gotten that kind of satisfaction from new brakes, or big tires, or suspension mods.

To this day, spanking my cruiser puts a $hit eating grin on my face. Every time.

Just my opinion. .

I didn’t “need” to hear this :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom