Builds That One Build Thread... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright, the time has come. After Lurking in the shadows on mud for years, i am starting my build thread.
Be warned, this will probably be painfully slow.

My Vehicle: 1997 FZJ80 40th Edition, i have had it for about a year and a half now. I got it bone stock with 186000 miles, it now has 198000. AND ITS LOCKED! But i cant get them to engage...

The day i got it:clap:
IMG_20140108_165307074.jpg

How i got hooked: My first vehicle was my dads old FJ60 that i brought back to life after it sat for many years. I drove that for about four years, then he took it back and dropped a turbo diesel in it....your welcome @MountNGoat...for re-sparking your interest lol
This is what the 60 looked like when i was driving it(On the left). You can see my brothers 80 on the right @JohnnyOshow22
IMG_0240.JPG

Since i have owned it, i have done the CDL mod with a 4runner hazard switch for like $8. I also now have a OME 2.5 inch lift.
IMG_20141209_153352716.jpg

Recently the paint has gone sour real fast. I am going to Monstaline it in white but I'm not 100% on that color.

I have deflared, removed the running boards and factory roof rack in preparation. I still need to take off all the door trim.
IMG_20150714_192500061_HDR.jpg

I am filling the Holes with JB weld. Its a 2 part epoxy that seems to be a popular choice.
IMG_20150713_172523895_HDR.jpg

After opening up the door panels i have decided to replace the interior lights with LED's (PFRAN kit) and also to replace the factory speakers(2 of 4 are gonzo). Also i will be trying to lube up my windows so they go faster...

Can anyone tell me about some fairly cheap plug and play options for all four of the door speakers?

I should be ordering the Monstaliner soon(Friday Hopefully)....just not 100% on the color yet...
Next on he list are new shoes. Duratracs! but cant decide on what size...i am leaning towards 315's

My overall goal is to be able to do Rubithon next year with my dad and brother. They just did it this year and i just cant miss out next year, they had a great time to say the least.

Now I'm going to have to create one of these things... :bang:

So i finally got these damn things to go solid!
IMG_20150727_213612446[1].jpg

And this finally arrived today:bounce::bounce2:
IMG_20150727_215142024[1].jpg

IMG_20150727_215816984[1].jpg

I ordered their 2 gallon kit. This comes with everything in this picture except the small roller, green sponge and the primer on the far left. I got the primer because i did take some parts of the body down to the bear metal when sanding. The small roller and sponge are for tight spots. Other things i bought for this project are MEK to clean the surface, painters tape, paper(to cover the ground/tires/windows) and a $25 orbital sander.

It will be WHITE!!!

It looks like i will be painting it next Monday, the 3rd.

nice. how much of the rig are you gonna cover with the liner? Based on the amount you sanded, you're going to cover quite a bit...

nice. how much of the rig are you gonna cover with the liner? Based on the amount you sanded, you're going to cover quite a bit...
I am covering everything, well i did cover everything. I decided to make it a late night last night and its now drying.
IMG_20150729_144953044_HDR[1].jpg
IMG_20150729_161345565_HDR[1].jpg
IMG_20150729_145001160[1].jpg

Looks great. How much time went into the prep? I think I will do mine in the fall.

Looks great. How much time went into the prep? I think I will do mine in the fall.
A lot of time went into the prep.

First i deflared and took off the running boards
Then i removed the roof rack/black rubber trim things that run along the top of the roof.
Then i tore off the door trim, not all 80's have this, they run down the side off the door and onto each quarter panel aways.
After that i took all old adhesive off.
^^^that took 3 hours

Then i filled all 60 holes. This takes forever. I would recommend a side project for this part, the epoxy takes a long time to set but you have to keep an eye on it. I filled all the holes over two weeks when i had the time.

After that i sanded the entire thing. 2 hours. Then pressure washed it.

Then i used the provided scuff pad. 1 hour. Then pressure washed it.

After that i wiped down the car with MEK, then another wipe with acetone. 2 hours. I really wanted the surface to be as clean as possible.

Then taped it up. 2 hours.

Put primer down on places i sanded down to the metal, then scuffed that up and cleaned the area with MEK/Acetone. This happened mostly on the hood and roof where the paint was super thin. This took awhile because the primer needed to dry.

The it took 4.5 hours to mix everything up and paint the entire thing. I also took most of the tape off right away.

I hope that gives you an idea of how long this processes is. This is no weekend job.

You said you sanded it then used the provided scuff pad. I am of the understanding that only the scuff pad and MEK wash is the requirement per the instructions. This is based upon what I have read on MUD.

You said you sanded it then used the provided scuff pad. I am of the understanding that only the scuff pad and MEK wash is the requirement per the instructions. This is based upon what I have read on MUD.
You are correct, according to their instructions only the scuff pad is required. I sanded because I wanted to make sure my clear coat was gone completely because it was flaking off and just disintegrating, so i was only scuffing the actual grey paint. This was a precaution. I decided to do this after reading a j**p thread and talking to one of the monstaliner reps over the phone about my clear coat problems.

Nice job, son, looking good and can't wait to see it! Glad you got your diff locks working, too.

good work! looks great!!!

good work! looks great!!!

So i got 35s about a month ago! They are Goodyear Duratracs and i could not be happier! So far i have had them in the sand at Turf n Surf, the snow and ice on northern Nevada and in the mud yesterday on my club run.

The day i got new shoes
IMG_20151023_140318471_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20151024_173436975_HDR[1].jpg

I picked up a 20inch light bar for Turf n Surf. I could not imagine more light for $40, it is bright.
DSC_8264.jpg

IMG_20151029_112414405_HDR[1].jpg

Monstaliner update:
It's holding up really well and is still bright white.
All i do is power wash it and it looks great.

Broken:
The passenger windshield wiper stopped working, I need to look into that.
High beams don't work at all anymore, need to figure that out as well.

New stuff to happen soon:
My roommate bought me a ebay snorkel instead of paying me for gas that he owed me for hauling him to turf n surf, i ain't even mad.
I will be sourcing the needed stuff to get another inch out of my lift, i don't like rubbing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom