Temporary centered 40 axle question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mcdesignsoffroad.com
As I slowly work on getting my wife’s 80 back up and running my head keeps leading me to future work on my 40.

I have a 14b that I started working on years ago that I will eventually have under my rig. In the meantime I’m wondering what I could do with some of the extra 40 rears I have and some early mini truck housing axle tubes to create an approximate 58-59” wms quick centered axle.

Could I use 79-85 2wd mini truck tubes and 86+ 4wd rear shafts to work with a 40 diff to get a quick and dirty wider-centered 40 rear until I can get the 14b in there?

Are the wheel bearing ends the same between the 2wd and 4wd Yota truck axles?

Just thinking about what’s easily available in local junkyards and stupid cheap.

this is an Fzj80 center and IFS rear axle tubes, but same concept.

stolen from Facebook. I think it needs a plate to keep the diff mounting face square to everything else but a pretty good axle jig for cheap

61862700_10157457749972010_1380674407608877056_n.jpg

62154448_10157457750002010_8265446346748592128_n.jpg

That axle jig makes no sense. The cruiser pumpkin is bigger, therefore the axles tubes need to be pushed out wider to accommodate the difference between the two. Am I missing something does it slide out wider when you put the bigger third housing in? You don't need a jig to make a centered rear cruiser axle. I have done quite a few with and without an alignment bar. So long as you measure lots and tack evenly until its solid then weld it out slowly adjusting weld areas to avoid warping. Better to start with a first gen toyota housing as the tubes slide right inside the cruiser housing and use the shafts from an IFS rear axle. Woody used to have a good writeup on here.

That axle jig makes no sense. The cruiser pumpkin is bigger, therefore the axles tubes need to be pushed out wider to accommodate the difference between the two. Am I missing something does it slide out wider when you put the bigger third housing in? You don't need a jig to make a centered rear cruiser axle. I have done quite a few with and without an alignment bar. So long as you measure lots and tack evenly until its solid then weld it out slowly adjusting weld areas to avoid warping. Better to start with a first gen toyota housing as the tubes slide right inside the cruiser housing and use the shafts from an IFS rear axle. Woody used to have a good writeup on here.

I’m not super familiar with the 8” stuff but I can’t imagine the distance between the side gears being THAT much different between the 8” and 9.5” thirds. The jig seems pretty logical to me.
Also I’m pretty sure the guy that made it was just using stuff he had lying around.

This has been done for the past 25 years.

I’m not super familiar with the 8” stuff but I can’t imagine the distance between the side gears being THAT much different between the 8” and 9.5” thirds. The jig seems pretty logical to me.
Also I’m pretty sure the guy that made it was just using stuff he had lying around.
Sorry but you are wrong. If you have a center block or Locker of some sort, the axles will not fully seat where the retainers are. The depth of the axles into the side gears needs to be set when the new third is married to the housing tubes.

Sorry but you are wrong. If you have a center block or Locker of some sort, the axles will not fully seat where the retainers are. The depth of the axles into the side gears needs to be set when the new third is married to the housing tubes.

Good to know. Thank you for correcting me on that. Makes me wonder what the builder of that axle in the pics I posted did. Or if he’s in for a surprise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom