Tech Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm planning out my winter upgrades and have a few questions. So I think I should ask the people who I'm just trying to keep up with.

My plans for this winter are power steering(yea really this time),front locker, and some suspension seats.

1.POWER STEERING
I've had a scout box in the garage for about 4-5 years now. My thinking for the scout box is, my v8 is held in by an engine plate that bolts to the frount of the 350 and uses the stock engine mounts on the frame. An old Downey item I believe. The scout box mounts out far enough for shaft clearence not to be a problem, but I need some way to mount the pump up higher to clear the plate. All other options I've looked at would require making some new engine mounts and loseing the plate mount I now have.

Some have said I'd be better to go with another ps setup other than the scout, but it does seem to be the easyest for me.

So my first set of questions,
Scout Power Steering or another route?

Is there a ps pump system out there that will mount the pump up higher on a 350 chevy, and where can I get it?

Any ideas on the best for my money cross over steering set up and from where?

2.LOCKER

I have a lockrite in the back and am happy with it, noisy but works. I would love to have an ARB if I could find a used setup but don't know if there will be enough money after longs and all the other mods. So will probably go with another lunchbox set up.

Lockrite or auzy(sp?) locker and where is the cheepest price?

3.SEATS

After PYS last year it took me about 2 days before I could stand up straight and walk normal. Because of the beating on the trails,(figured I better throw that in) so I'm hopeing to put some suspension seats in before next years fun. I like the idea of mounting the seats into my rollcage, but my fuel tank is still under my pass. seat and I need to get to that so I'm leaning more toward a stand alone type of mount.

Anyone have a sugestion for a type of seat or a place to buy them?

Any tips on mounting these seats?

Just for general reference, my rig is a FJ 40 with a chevy 350,mini truck knuckles, rear discs,SM420,4" lift springs(I know SOA SOA... but I'm going to stick with this for now),rear locker, and 35's.

Any insights and opinions are welcome but just asking before I start gathering any more parts.

Mark

Stock PS box from 85 & older mini
will bolt in stock location
& use existing linkage
Have to fab a mount.
Don't know bout pump mount

Lock rite locker

I'm wanting to get rid of all the stock linkage, hell I'm still running on a trail fix made on slickrock at Tellico about five years ago. Besides from what I read those setups are only rated for up to a 35" tire and when the need arrives I will go bigger, I have the room.

Also bought an aluminum radiator for the 40,hell of a deal cheeper than repairing the one I have, so I need some tips on mounting this and where to get an elec. fan. Got any left Tony?

Mark

What all do I need to grab from the pull-a-part if I find a Taurus. The fan and what else? I have 3 more days off before Christmas and then the whole week between it and New Years so may hit the pull-a-part and then start some work that week.

I think the Scout box will serve you well. What pitman arm you use depends on how you hang the box and what arm you happen to score at the PnP. To connect the arm to the tie rod I've made my own by using the tie rod half from a Toyota and a half of whatever donated the pitman arm with matching rod end. Sleeve together and plug weld 4-6 places on each side of the joint. Or you can spend the coin to have BudBuilt make you one custom.

For the pump I'd cruise the GM section at the PnP and see what brackets you find that can be altered to fit. Given the millions of GM V8/V6 powered vehicles there has to be a combo that you can use with minimal work.

To connect the box to the column I've used steering shafts from Astro vans. The joint at the steering box matches the Scout boxes I've used (there are 2-3 different spline counts IIRC). The other end has worked at the column with some fab work on the column (weld a bushing to the shaft to increase the diameter and grind a couple flats to match the joint). Cut the shaft in half and stretch with some tubing. Or drop some more coin on a sweet Flaming River steering shaft kit.

Good luck!
Nick

For best price on a locker, just "google shopping" it, there are hundreds of vendors!! I found lockers for cheap. One of the cheapest is usually PORC (performance offroad center) but buy at your own risk! They are a shady group!

Joe found some suspension seats for cheap that were intended for a VW. They are pretty sweet, maybe he will chime in.

Performance offroad center had the cheapest price by far when I bought mine. I paid for 3 day shipping, and they took like 2 weeks to get the locker out. The guy gave me all kinds of attitude when I called up a few times asking about it. Turned out, they didn't even ship it out until 9 days after I ordered and paid.

In the long run, they made a shipping mistake and I got a REALLY good deal on the locker. (~$0) :D

PORC wanted to advertise here...$200 a year was too expensive...guess this explains why...

Thanks for all the info guys, I knew I could count on you all. I belive I will stick with the scout box, it just looks to be less work to not have to try to fab up new engine mounts. Yea Luke I've seen the tech. page about spliceing the two rods together but I hope to go with an aftermarket unit that is more heavy duty, I've been lucky not to have had any issues before now so why push it when I have the money on hand. I have the pitman arm from the scout to go with the box, I've read that it is too long causing too quick steering on the road but good for the trail, so that is another area I will need some more guidance from someone who has been there,....Woody any tips?

The locker issue seems to be settled, lock rite in the back so go with a lock rite in the front, just seems easier. I do plan to spring for a set of long birfs, but should I go for the full axle set also or not?

The seats will be the last problem too fix unless something falls in my lap.

I had hoped to spend some quality time in the pull-a-part this week on some days off but mother nature is pissing all over that idea. So I should have some time to surf the web for some sweet deals.

Mark

The spline count on a Scout Saginaw 'should' be the same as any other Saginaw, including GM...IIRC, my pitman is off a Camaro or a Wagoneer...

There are good's and bad's about the Scout...on full compression with a SOA, the spring can contact the drag link/end at the pitman. Mine uses a 5/8" heim joint to the drag link with a button head cap screw and a 'short' jam nut to maximize clearance...I had to grind the rivit on the frame so it would clear. ...and it still contacts the spring on compression.

If you do the longs, do the whole 30-spline set and the hub gear as well. The hub gear is required for warranty, IIRC. I've broken one (star shattered), but with no steering stops and my driving style, it's no surprise. The new stuff turns better, and is what I have installed now.

Front lunchbox is a great choice, my Aussie has survived well up there.

IIRC, Saturn seats are comfy...worth sitting in a few sets at the PnP.

Thanks Brian, thats the info I'm looking for.

Mark

Mark,

I do have an electric fan that has built in thermostat & all that good stuff I'm not using.
If all else fails at the P-n-P & you are interested, let me know.

I do also have a set of SR5 seats in tan leather (drivers is a bit worn on ingress/egress side, no foam showing, but leather worn out)

Go 30 spline....the hub gear isnt required for warranty though.

PORC actually got kicked off Pirate about a year and a half ago. The complaints and poor feedback in the seller feedback forum were non-stop.

"The warranty does not cover our products if another part fails and damages our part, such as a stock hub gear breaking and damaging the splines." Straight off Longfields site...$60 for the hug gear upgrade, while yer in there...obviously, common enough to make a specific statement about it.

"The warranty does not cover our products if another part fails and damages our part, such as a stock hub gear breaking and damaging the splines." Straight off Longfields site...$60 for the hug gear upgrade, while yer in there...obviously, common enough to make a specific statement about it.

Unless thats brand new....Cause Ive never heard of him not warrantying a set for that, or even asking about the hub gears, when I warrantyed mine, and when tom warranty's a set every year...

oh and BTW, less reading websites and more picking up RZR's....bum.

been around long enough that I knew about it over a year ago when I installed the latest set of Longs...I don't know that he'd ever denied a warranty on that tho.

May actually get in the shop to work on the 80 today...may...

been around long enough that I knew about it over a year ago when I installed the latest set of Longs...I don't know that he'd ever denied a warranty on that tho.

May actually get in the shop to work on the 80 today...may...

If it is the case then no big deal. Bobby is the shiz and its still a good deal!

I would hurry on the rzr...when todd isnt trying to hotwire it, he is taking his pants of and sitting on the shifter. Once I think I saw him drinking from a box of wine while he did it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom