Tearing down my HJ47 troopy (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have a link to a thread with the part number for the brake cable? Plan on using a split case and post 8/80 40 series axle in my FJ45LP-B

I don't, sorry. I sent a used cable from a 2008 HJ79 to 2manycruisers back home in Santa Fe and he said it fit (not with a lot of spare cable, but fit). I will see if I can get the part number for it.

They are certainly available from the wreckers here. Remember that they fit the 79-84 style handbrake wherer the lever is on the transmission hump. It will not fit the pre-78 style where the lever is under the dash.

You can ring Rod at Just Wrecking Toyota and he will send one off to you right away. I think I paid au$150 for it here. Rod's number is +61 8 8359 4499.

Cheers,

Josh

If your's is a RHD, there is an original e-brake cable available that you can use. It was only used in AUS spec HJ47's cab chassis' trucks. The pickup and troopie don't use that cable since they have the t-case mounted e brake.
I used this cable for my LHD 45 and other than some tweaking of the mounting points it was a direct fit.

I remember it was around 90 euro's when i ordered it, but that's a while ago. I'll see if i can find the part number.

Mark

Thanks guys, I'll keep this info in mind when I tackle the transmission switch. Obviously doing this when I have the motor out makes more sense, but the cost involved causes me to wait.
There's miles to go before I sleep!

I just looked in the parts book and it's part number:
46410-60190 HJ47,FJ45 RHD GEN. W/rear wheel parking brake.

I'm not sure if it's actually available since it's a few years ago when i got mine. Anyway, here's the number, use it if you want.

Good luck with the project!

troopie said:
I just looked in the parts book and it's part number:
46410-60190 HJ47,FJ45 RHD GEN. W/rear wheel parking brake.

I'm not sure if it's actually available since it's a few years ago when i got mine. Anyway, here's the number, use it if you want.

Good luck with the project!

Scott, Let me know if you still need an engine hoist, I've got one that I'm not using, also check my build thread, I've got two Pep Boys roll around engine stands that are taking up space in my garage that you can put your motor and transmission on while you do the rest of your work.

Thanks Mike,
A few guys at work offered to come over for the engine removal. One of em has the hoist and an engine stand. We'll see if all this works out, but I'd love to have your input when we do the removal. At this point, I'm looking at the shop manual and getting ready to start removing bolts that connect the transmission to the engine. The shop manual recommends taking the engine lose from the tranny. It comments about the weight. I've always seen the engine/ tranny being removed together, but not neccesarilly a L/C engine/tranny. Of course, I want all the experts I can find, and you're the only one close by, so maybe if the time frame works out, I'll call you for assistance.
Thanks bro!

Josh,
I love your green truck . It's vintage looking and very cool. Now I'm screwed, but I do have time becuase I aint even close to paint yet. So, now I have Mike's 40 which is a very nice vintage looking green and your's which is way cool.

Last edited:
Motor is out

The motor is out and now the fun begins, I hope. I'm not sure if the engine stand is big enough though. The engine overhangs the front wheels 4 or 5 inches and it just seems inadequate. It's rated for 1000 lbs though. Anybody know what a 2H weighs? i'll be degreasing everything for a while and probably will send the truck to get sandblasted.
engine removal 009.jpg
engine removal 008.jpg
engine removal 007.jpg

Engine on stand

This pic shows the engine and how it overhangs the front wheels. Is it just me or should the stand be longer for these 6 cylinder engines. A V-8 probably fits within the front and rear wheel supports.
engine stand 002.jpg

Congrats Scott, Sorry I couldn't make it up there yesterday but it looks like you made quick work of it. I don't know what the 2H weighs, my engine stand was rated for 1000 lbs too and the 2F looked the same way, I was worried as well but never had a problem. You can easily weld a caster to a piece of pipe and fab up a bracket to mount it to the front bottom of the engine, or to the oil pan (just for moving around purposes).

When removing or adjusting the door hinges, I reached in through the kick vents. Jus' sayin'

Thanks Mike, I know these motors are heavy compared to V-8s. I think i'll do something like you said and make a support piece. The manual for the stand says not to move it under load which is a pain becuase I have limited space. I was planning on rolling it around as I needed. I can get a 2 ton stand for around $110. I'll do something tomorrow. The throw out bearing was just laying in the housing, I'm guesing it was about toast. One of the engine mounts was broken or I somehow broke it taking out the motor. Now comes the part where you decide what to do while the motor is out. New clutch for sure, I have a new water pump, so that as well. Belts and hoses of course. Valve cover gasket when i take the valve cover off. First i have to get 30 years of grease and mud off.

Thanks Mike, I know these motors are heavy compared to V-8s. I think i'll do something like you said and make a support piece. The manual for the stand says not to move it under load which is a pain becuase I have limited space. I was planning on rolling it around as I needed. I can get a 2 ton stand for around $110. I'll do something tomorrow. The throw out bearing was just laying in the housing, I'm guesing it was about toast. One of the engine mounts was broken or I somehow broke it taking out the motor. Now comes the part where you decide what to do while the motor is out. New clutch for sure, I have a new water pump, so that as well. Belts and hoses of course. Valve cover gasket when i take the valve cover off. First i have to get 30 years of grease and mud off.

Oil pan gasket and rear main seal are also a good idea. While the pan is off you can clean up 25 years of sludge in there. You will be amazed how much sludge is in there. When I did that on my 2H, I removed about 1 qt or so.

Broken motor mounts are very common on that rig I've found. Did you have a shudder before you pulled the engine?

Cheers,

Josh

Josh,
I didn't notice a shutter, but that doesn't mean much. I imediatally put in the turbo because of the slowness inherant of the 2H. But yes, oil pann gasket, rear main seal. Thanks!!

Degnol,
Got it, i'll try thru the kick vents for the upper door hinges. Is that why those things are there, because they really don't cool my feet much.

Ok, Rear main seal, oil pan gasket, makes sense because I can open the oil pan and look at the bottom end.

New 2000 lb engine stand

Paranoia led to this new engine stand. Twice the weight capacity (1 ton). Hopefully I won't flip it over while I'm degreasing it.
new stand 015.jpg

Tranny gone

Finally got the tranny / transfer case removed. My transmission jack was not very big and didn't evenly carry the transmission. After about three hours of wrangling, it's out.
5 6 2011 029.jpg
5 6 2011 030.jpg

Last edited:
Paranoia led to this new engine stand. Twice the weight capacity (1 ton). Hopefully I won't flip it over while I'm degreasing it.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that no-one is following you. Nice stand:cheers:

Now you can start rebuilding big Cummins, Detroit and Cat diesels too!

Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom