TCSTARK - My 1981 BJ42 Build Thread - Murphy's Law (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mounted the tire carrier to the Gozzard tub. I had to use four rivnuts on the top mounting bracket since I did not have rear access to the drilled holes. I used four bolts with washers on the bottom mounting bracket. My concern is the weight factor stressing the fiberglass tub and ultimately cracking. I think I will use a metal plate on the bottom to strengthen it up.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I installed the bump stop with no issue. Next up is the latch. I will have to figure out the best location and method to install the latch.

I started mocking up the dash panel. The windshield hold down brackets are installed and I have a good game plan for installing the dash pad retaining clip.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I added an ignition switch and momentary switch. Let's just say I had a creative PO moment and got creative with a couple of marine grade bezels and a hole saw. Since this will be a heirloom to my daughter she won't do too much complaining.

image.jpg

Dash pad retainer clip and dash pad installed.

image.jpg

Shiny doodads added...

image.jpg

I mock fitted my Cruiser Crap center console. I am very happy with the dimensions and how it looks with the seats.

I also started to mock up my OCD soft top and Paki bows. The front doors had issues closing so I made an executive decision that the soft top will go on my other cruiser.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I am batting the idea around of getting the tub and fenders painted before it heads over to Trollhole's shop...

Wow - that looks great! are you planning on using the brackets I supplied you? I love the mountain cord idea, I've been trying to come up with a solution for my fiberglass half doors. -Mark

Yes, the mounting brackets will work perfectly with my fiberglass tub. I just need to drill the permanent holes in the tub.

The cords were a gamble purchase but I love the way they came out.

I started stripping the fancy doodads off of the tub so that I can prep it for paint. I have a co-worker who is into racing that has a buddy who does paint. He will LineX the interior tub/underneath and paint the exterior/fenders/tailgate/tire carrier.

The plan is to strip it down and pull off the fenders and patch any erroneous holes and deliver it some time this week. While it is being painted I plan on mounting the auxiliary tank and cleaning up the frame and any other hard to reach items. Once the tub is back I will reassemble everything before delivering it to trollhole's shop where it will be brought to life.

Last edited:
image.jpg
The bottom of the tub has been rhino lined. It will cure for one more day and then the interior of the tub will be lined.

Here are a few photos of the work...

image.jpg

image.jpg

I am starting to get pretty pumped at this point.

While the tub is off I started mocking up the rear tank.

image.jpg

Is there a need to add either an in-tank or on-line fuel pump in addition to the engine's injector pump?

The exterior tub, fenders, tailgate and tire carrier have been prepped for final paint.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good mate

The rear tub support brace is now powder coated and installed! This enabled me to start bolting up the body mounts and start with assembly.

MasterCarr fuel rated hose 2 1/2 OD - 2 1/8 ID

image.jpg

Last edited:
It is a poor low res photo but it is flat black.

I have started piecing the cruiser back together in an effort to consolidate the hundreds of parts scattered throughout my house.

image.jpeg

I still debate over a hardtop or soft top for my cruiser. I installed the Aqualu tailgate in hopes of making my decision easier. Nope, still haven't decided.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I ran into some fitment issues with the gozzard fiberglass fenders (pictured below). I opted to go with a set of OEM fenders I was going to sell rather than patch/drill the fenders for the 100th time. I am glad I made that decision as the fit is near perfect.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Arghhhh. Looks like s***

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom