talking 80 series starters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
gents,
i pulled this unit and i am thinking about getting it rebuilt if it is nippon denso. but i am not sure if it was already a rebuilt unit.
also, i bought a rebuilt one which i was thinking was nippon denso. can i tell from the box here that the one in the truck now is in fact nippon denso?
i guess i want to make sure i have a nippon denso and i’m not sure. also was ND the OEM factory starter?
anyone know anything about this and willing to set this straight for me?

5C59F804-9B43-4D98-A313-F0DC5F4DB072.jpeg

7D130E65-2F82-450E-AA53-C60831A0867A.jpeg

B806B71B-0241-47B3-9A57-FAB399667B66.jpeg

FDDEF849-4AE6-44AB-B5FE-06B564A6BAF4.jpeg

2A51E2CF-3776-4F95-B823-A7A0481E82F1.jpeg

Nippon= Japan
Denso= Electrical Device

Nippon Denso= Denso

The starter you removed is not OEM. It’s aftermarket.

The starter in the box is Denso aftermarket OE fit.
thanks a LOT onur. someone was saying they suspected the replacement was not nippon denso so i guess i got confused.
so is there a good way to decide if it is worth rebuilding the one that came out? or if i list it locally what to sell it for? i am pretty sure it still works and was a loose connection even though i replaced it with the cold weather one.

<edit: ALSO, what does “DENSO OE aftermarket OE fit mean? did the vehicle come with ND starter that is the same as the one i put in? except that the one i put in is rebuilt? or what exactly please?>

The one you were unsure about says "REMANUFACTURED IN MEXICO" right on it.

Plus the sticker in both English and Spanish and the phone number is for 'REMY Power Products'.

So yes....its NOT Denso.

Plus the sticker in both English and Spanish and the phone number is for 'REMY Power Products'.

So yes....its NOT Denso.
Remy is 3rd generation name for Delco Remy which has been around in USA for 120+ years. Started up by Frank Kettering, a prominent American inventor. Not sure if Remy is still USA based, but obviously that was not rebuilt here.

Denso aftermarket first time fit means that it’s designed to meet or exceed OEM specifications.
This really means nothing these days. Every single garbage Chinese/Mexican part says that. Whether or not it actually "meets OEM specifications" is a different story. In my experience, there is no aftermarket replacement part that actually meets original Toyota Land Cruiser specifications. And certainly nothing "exceeds" them.

Last edited:
This really means nothing these days. Every single garbage Chinese/Mexican part says that. Whether or not it actually "meets OEM specifications" is a different story. In my experience, there is no aftermarket replacement part that actually meets original Toyota Land Cruiser specifications. And certainly nothing "exceeds" them.

I’m just stating the marketing the OP could have just deciphered on the box. :lol: It was a bit tongue and cheek.

Another example of a kerapp reman part (PS pump) just pulled off a 95 model that the PO installed. Note the lettering on the bearing:

Power steering pump reman Chynna bearings.jpg

Remy is 3rd generation name for Delco Remy which has been around in USA for 120+ years. Started up by Frank Kettering, a prominent American inventor. Not sure if Remy is still USA based, but obviously that was not rebuilt here.
so the one i put in is nippon denso and this may or may not be as good as the
OEM?
and the one that came out is worth rebuilding?
is it worth something if i sell it?

OEM?
Well it's worth nothing at all to me. I'm only putting a genuine starter on my rig, and the same is probably true for a bunch of other 80s owners out there. If it's not a Nippon Denison starter I wouldn't put it on my rig. Nippon Denso is OEM. That's what you want.

I don't think you'll find much value in a used or home rebuilt aftermarket starter, no matter which company made it. People only buy those because they're in a jam, they don't want to pay OEM prices, or they don't know any better. That said, you can try and flog it for something, someone might be interested. I can pick up a genuine starter for $50 here in Aus if I'm in the right place at the right time though. Can't imagine myself paying anything for an aftermarket one.

OEM?

I am playing a drinking game for every time you say "Nippon Denso".

Denso is a Toyota parts supplier. The original starter when your truck was new was Denso. The one you pulled off is garbage. It is worth nothing. You can rebuild it. You can also rebuild a Pontiac Sunfire, even though no one should.

I am playing a drinking game for every time you say "Nippon Denso".

Denso is a Toyota parts supplier. The original starter when your truck was new was Denso. The one you pulled off is garbage. It is worth nothing. You can rebuild it. You can also rebuild a Pontiac Sunfire, even though no one should.
yeah. in the bmw motorcycle world they always say nippon denso or ND. so it was confusing to me to just see denso i guess.
also if the one that came off was worth rebuilding or worth something to someone i was going to sell it or pass it along. otoh, i have had inquiries from people that want to buy it so i want to make sure why know what they are getting before selling it.

Holy s*** dude. How do you even brush your teeth or tie your shoes?

View attachment 2616845
lol. three totally different things. it’s like anyone else on here onur.
they might be able to run into a burning building and save your cat, or operate on a brain and and save a loved ones life after an aneurysm. but be totally clueless when it comes to automotive.
everyone is going to have a different skill set! 🥰

lol. three totally different things. it’s like anyone else on here onur.
they might be able to run into a burning building and save your cat, or operate on a brain and and save a loved ones life after an aneurysm. but be totally clueless when it comes to automotive.
everyone is going to have a different skill set! 🥰

^^^^

There is certainly some truth in that statement.

You'll never see me participate in a post/thread concerning 'electronics'. I just don't get it.....and the irony of it is my Father was an Electronic Engineer in the Navy. Somehow that 'gene' skipped over me.

Things 'electrical' I can sort of muddle my way through. I'm more of a mechanical person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom