Talk me out of this!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im thinkin about selling or trading the grizzwald wagon for a mini/ 4 runner...
In considering the things I want to do and where I want it to go, Im of the impression that it would be a good idea to get a built rig and take it from there!
Id have better aftermarket options, better part availability, less weight and greater manuverability...
To get the wagon where I want it, its gonna take some BIIIIG MONEY and a lot of time...
There are some NICELY BUILT mini trucks out there for around what it would take to do the biggest mod I have to the 62...

Julez is AGHAST that Im even considering this...

Talk me off the ledge here boyz!

K

Duuuude---Don't do this. The biggest problem with minitrucks, is you have to hang with minitruck guys. Not worth it. Just ask dieselbigot or cubedweller. Land Cruiser guys are sophisticated, articulate, employed, rednecks.

Mini-truck guys are just knuckle dragging, slack jawed, mullet sporting rednecks and the ones that are not rednecks, are meth abusing loosers.:flipoff2: One step above jeep owners!:D

The Land Cruiser is legendary, bomb proof, heavy duty. A minitruck is dainty by comparison.

Here is what you need to do:

Remove your automatic transmission and install a manual. These are cheap and often given away. I'll give you the bell housing and maybe the clutch.

Buy a Marlin Toybox.

Install.

So for $2500 you are done. Plus, you will have the satisfaction of driving a rig you built yourself. Anyone can buy a built truck and go wheeling. That's lame.

Actually, mini-trucks are great wheelers. Beyond great. Don't get hung up on the $$. Run what you have, and what you built.

I see where you are coming from Keith. I considered this alot because of my budget and facilities while I was/am building my wagon. The way I see it, to go out with the big dogs I still need a toybox or some sort of reduction, a front locker, longfields, and a rear bumper, (which are big ticket items.) I am of course using the word 'need' loosely but I think these are really helpful in wheeling. Right now I could buy a built mini truck/4runner that is 'done' and go beat on it for 5k. And now I am at a stand still for mods because I can't afford/justify putting more money into my wagon!!!!!

I see where you are coming from. . .But Andy is right I think.

Dylan

You can kiss off using a mini-truck for exped type runs: No room and zero comfort. Speaking of no room...how are you going to cram your hulking body into a mini-truck? Get the first part of the name Keith: Yep that's right...its M I N I. That means DAMN small bud!

You need to come out on a couple of our trans Nevada runs...you and Jules. That'd do it I think.

This may take the conversation a little sideways, but Saturday after Jumbo Grade, went to the movie theater to see The Kingdom. Thrilling movie with action sequences rivaling the Bourne Ultimatum. Now in that movie, I believe I saw no less than four absolutely beautiful FJ-60s. They looked mint and completely bomb proof. There was even a scene pitting 60 vs. 60. Bad guys stole a good guys 60, which became a chase sequence. It was intense.

Who makes chase scenes with mini trucks?

It was great to see the FJ-60 get its 15 minutes.

Chicago i can appreciate where your comming from having a wagon my self but after watching yours im impressed bud and gonna do the spring over on mine as well thanks to you and Calicruiser no if and or buts about it you sell it youll regret it youhave the room and comfort and with a little extra work and a few bucks youll rival even Shawns or Rusty's 40's yes i have a 40m to play with but Spressomon is right mini trucks dont have alot of room and whatever you bring with you on runs is out in the open unless you buy lots of boxes to put it in and you have to stop to get what you want out of the bed of the truck gonna be rougher ride and your misses isnt gonna enjoy it near as much cuase even with an ext cab truck you still dont have alot of leg room its better than single cab but not by alot youll deff feel cramp in a mini and you dont get the satisfaction of being able to say HEY LOOK WHAT I BUILT myself

anywho just my 2 cents

Dan:cheers::beer::bounce::bounce2:

That is what I needed to hear!
It not something that I necessarily WANT to do, it just much more conveninet in the long run!
The comfort thing is BIG! Having the ability to sleep in the back of the rig comfortably and get out of the rain like we did on Rubicon was HUGE for Julez!
I dont think she'd have had as much fun if were were in a tent in the rain...
She brought that up as well when I mentioned it to her!
Getting the gearing is my BIGGEST issue...
Then the cost of the toy box, then new shafts, then the longs, then the locker, then a fresh motor...It just makes my head spin to think about the overall costs to get it where I want it!

Thanks for the words boyz!
Its making stop and reconsider this whole thing!

that is why I posted this here!

K

You can kiss off using a mini-truck for exped type runs: No room and zero comfort. Speaking of no room...how are you going to cram your hulking body into a mini-truck? Get the first part of the name Keith: Yep that's right...its M I N I. That means DAMN small bud!

You need to come out on a couple of our trans Nevada runs...you and Jules. That'd do it I think.

:lol::lol::lol:
With the damage that I have done to my arms and shoulders, Im shrinking QUICKLY!
Its hell getting OLD!:shotts:

K

I see where you are coming from Keith. I considered this alot because of my budget and facilities while I was/am building my wagon. The way I see it, to go out with the big dogs I still need a toybox or some sort of reduction, a front locker, longfields, and a rear bumper, (which are big ticket items.) I am of course using the word 'need' loosely but I think these are really helpful in wheeling. Right now I could buy a built mini truck/4runner that is 'done' and go beat on it for 5k. And now I am at a stand still for mods because I can't afford/justify putting more money into my wagon!!!!!

I see where you are coming from. . .But Andy is right I think.

Dylan

That is where Im at right now...
LOOOONG list of mods and no money to do it with!
But you REALLLY WANT TO cuz you LOVE the rig!

K

Chicago i can appreciate where your comming from having a wagon my self but after watching yours im impressed bud and gonna do the spring over on mine as well thanks to you and Calicruiser no if and or buts about it you sell it youll regret it youhave the room and comfort and with a little extra work and a few bucks youll rival even Shawns or Rusty's 40's yes i have a 40m to play with but Spressomon is right mini trucks dont have alot of room and whatever you bring with you on runs is out in the open unless you buy lots of boxes to put it in and you have to stop to get what you want out of the bed of the truck gonna be rougher ride and your misses isnt gonna enjoy it near as much cuase even with an ext cab truck you still dont have alot of leg room its better than single cab but not by alot youll deff feel cramp in a mini and you dont get the satisfaction of being able to say HEY LOOK WHAT I BUILT myself

anywho just my 2 cents

If you need help...I have some experience with this!:grinpimp:

That is where Im at right now...
LOOOONG list of mods and no money to do it with!
But you REALLLY WANT TO cuz you LOVE the rig!

K

But your current configuration hasn't stopped you from doing well and having fun on the runs. In fact think about all the cool trips you could go on using a portion of the $$$ you are going to spend on your rig! Its the age old adage: Separate your "wants" from your "needs" and life gets simpler. Now if I could just practice that advice too :rolleyes:.

Hey Keith, you up for a road trip?

1982 FJ60 drive train Sounds like it's almost free at this point.

WHOA!

that's FAAAAAR AWAY!
Price sounds good, but 252K is quite a lot of miles for that, even if it is dirt cheap!
Are the manuals pretty easy to re build?

K

But your current configuration hasn't stopped you from doing well and having fun on the runs. In fact think about all the cool trips you could go on using a portion of the $$$ you are going to spend on your rig! Its the age old adage: Separate your "wants" from your "needs" and life gets simpler. Now if I could just practice that advice too :rolleyes:.

Yeah...
there are people who have bigger problems!
Im probably gonna just do the conversion with the toy box!
Just go step at a time!

This frickin rig is gonna be basically BRAND NEW by the time Im done with it!

Im gonna keep an eye out for a cheap tranny, however, I think Im gonna need a 5 speed with the 4.88's

K

Hey Chicago ya gotta take a step at a time bud and one thing at a time just like you done so far it will all get done in time even though you and me may want it done now would love to just be able to go buy everything i need and install it but we are working stiffs with a budget and the toys come last. just a thought here bud you try taking some of your income tax checks every year and saving for the bigger cost things like the Toy Box before long youll have what you need. wont be seeing you guys tonight thanks to the local round table me and my duaghters are down with food poisening so see you guys on the next run

I'm glad to see my comments about the 60s in the movie helped you conclude parting with the woody would not be in your best interest, nor the club's.

Anytime I can offer my counsel, just let me know…

Keith S.

BTW, great fun wheeling with everyone Saturday. Good fun.

I'm glad to see my comments about the 60s in the movie helped you conclude parting with the woody would not be in your best interest, nor the club's.

Anytime I can offer my counsel, just let me know…

Keith S.

BTW, great fun wheeling with everyone Saturday. Good fun.

:lol::lol::lol:
Yeulp...
Cuz when HOLLYWOOD speaks...people LISTEN!

Thanks for the input, Keith!

K

I think Sean described what I WANT to do with my rig BEST...
I want to be able to do the Rubicon, CLEAN...
In otherwords...I want to have my rig set up to where its capeable to run that trail with some grace and control...
Granted, that was my FIRST time ON that trail (how much can I expect with that level of experience) and the weather conditions (IMO) were not very conducive to a newbie.
As mentioned...Ill start with a front locker, run it again and re assess the situation from there!
Additionally, I need MORE EXPERIENCE more than money to throw at my rig...Rusty and Brett and many others on that run are seasoned wheelers, and Im not considering that....
What Im doing is trying to "build it better" to make up for my lack of driving ability...BOTTOM LINE!:eek:

Thanks for the help gents!
I, my wife and my rig thanks you!

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom