Tail light/Bumper Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As I am working on rewiring the whole vehicle (74, built in DEC 73), I wanted to fix the tail light alignment issue in the images. I noticed that the tail lights are covering the mounting holes for the bumperettes and are obviously mounted at an angle that has my OCD going crazy.

Is there a smaller tail light that should have been used from a different year? I searched forums and found a post about the different years, but it only stated "smaller" or "5 wire" etc, it didn't give measurements. Mine are 9 7/8" wide.

taillight2.jpg
taillight1.jpg

There are differences between '73-'76, '77-'79 and '80-; you should have these:
81550-60190 (RH) / 81560-60110 (LH); you may not find the assy part number on anything. The lens part numbers should be 81551-60180/81561-60080

lens.png

It looks like you have
81550-60192 (RH) / 81560-60112 (LH) [1980-]

I don't know that the different assy's aren't interchangeable. In no case should the assy cover the bumperette mtg holes.

I thought all the 3 bulb lights were the same size, just the plug connector changed.

US or central American rig?

There are differences between '73-'76, '77-'79 and '80-; you should have these:
81550-60190 (RH) / 81560-60110 (LH); you may not find the assy part number on anything. The lens part numbers should be 81551-60180/81561-60080

It looks like you have
81550-60192 (RH) / 81560-60112 (LH) [1980-]

I don't know that the different assy's aren't interchangeable. In no case should the assy cover the bumperette mtg holes.
Thanks - must be a size difference there.

I just measured mine. It measures (roughly) 9-7/8" long and there is approximately 1/2" between the end of the taillight assy and the bumperette.

Your taillight appears to be in the same location as mine; your bumperette mtg holes must be wrong. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that someone added some.

It almost looks like you have the pre-9/73 bumper, before the 3 light version, and it was modified.

It almost looks like you have the pre-9/73 bumper, before the 3 light version, and it was modified.
I'm wondering that also. The bumperette aligns up with the mounting holes, and the step does also. If I were to move the bumperettes in towards the center there isn't enough room for the step to be mounted. Looks like I might need to do some fabrication/modifications then.

I thought all the 3 bulb lights were the same size, just the plug connector changed.

US or central American rig?

9/73 on tail lights will interchange on the rear frame member. I would do it verify my rear frame member is still stock the way it left the factory.

Tail light is mounted at an angle which is not correct. Also not sure what is under the hood that would say US model. 3/69+ will have plaque on the A pillar if it was originally imported to the US. 1/75 on plaque under the hood will have a model number that ends in A if a US import.

9/73 on tail lights will interchange on the rear frame member. I would do it verify my rear frame member is still stock the way it left the factory.

Tail light is mounted at an angle which is not correct. Also not sure what is under the hood that would say US model. 3/69+ will have plaque on the A pillar if it was originally imported to the US. 1/75 on plaque under the hood will have a model number that ends in A if a US import.
Sticker under hood, and A Pillar plaque:
pillar.jpg
sticker.jpg

See if the vin number on the right front frame rail matches the vin plate on the door pillar. Unless I'm mistaken '74's had round tail lights. Either the rear crossmember has been replaced or it's possibly sitting on a newer frame.

Sticker under hood, and A Pillar plaque:
View attachment 3303181View attachment 3303180

The emissions sticker, okay makes sense. Forgot about those. Wasn't saying your wasn't a US import just all US imports originally have a plaque on the A pillar 3/69.

See if the vin number on the right front frame rail matches the vin plate on the door pillar. Unless I'm mistaken '74's had round tail lights. Either the rear crossmember has been replaced or it's possibly sitting on a newer frame.

3/73 was the start of the three lens tail lights. Light would be correct for a 12/73.

VIN on the frame rail is gone from what I can tell. I've found out that the front body parts are from 79/newer as the front bezel is not the rounded style, it's newer.

Do you have a shackle reverse on the front. The plate welded on the front covers at least part of the VIN stamped in the frame. Not sure what difference it makes as far as tail light and bumperettes 1/79 the body mount changed on the back. Old had just four hole drilled. Newer only used two but a large round washer is welded on top of the rear crossmember to beef up where the two mounts are. If the body is a 74 fuel tank would be under the passenger seat. 1/79 it was mounted below the tub and increased from a 161/2 gallon tank to a 22 1/2 gallon tank.

Do you have a shackle reverse on the front. The plate welded on the front covers at least part of the VIN stamped in the frame. Not sure what difference it makes as far as tail light and bumperettes 1/79 the body mount changed on the back. Old had just four hole drilled. Newer only used two but a large round washer is welded on top of the rear crossmember to beef up where the two mounts are. If the body is a 74 fuel tank would be under the passenger seat. 1/79 it was mounted below the tub and increased from a 161/2 gallon tank to a 22 1/2 gallon tank.
I see lots of grinding marks under the paint when I hold the light at an angle, so I bet they ground it off. The gas tank is under the passenger seat, though.

I see lots of grinding marks under the paint when I hold the light at an angle, so I bet they ground it off. The gas tank is under the passenger seat, though.

A 74 used the older two piece side doors. 1/75 was the new one piece door. The limiter on the A pillar was different. The striker on the B pillar changed as well. On the older one the area for the striker was no wider than the B pillar. Newer it wider towards the inside.

Sounds like a FrankenCruiser due to a crash. 😕

I have a 9/74 and here is my setup. Notice how the bumperette bolts up to the same holes as the step. For the older 40’s with the round lights seems like they use the step with the bolts on the inside of the step and the bumperette has its own mounting hole. I think you some weird setup with the rectangle rear light frame member but holes for the round lights. If you look closely at photos of the round light rear frame members, the holes for the bumperettes are where the little indent is located. FrankenCruiser is right @pjohnson

FD01742F-164C-4BF1-98AC-2053731F851A.jpeg

58C85635-1AD8-4D12-AFF0-148B3D4E2DA9.jpeg

1682059042385.png

Last edited:
I have a 9/74 and here is my setup. Notice how the bumperette bolts up to the same holes as the step. For the older 40’s with the round lights seems like they use the step with the bolts on the inside of the step and the bumperette has its own mounting hole. I think you some weird setup with the rectangle rear light frame member but holes for the round lights. If you look closely at photos of the round light rear frame members, the holes for the bumperettes are where the little indent is located. FrankenCruiser is right @pjohnson

View attachment 3303580

View attachment 3303579
View attachment 3303603
Thanks - this really helps. I'll be trying to put some makeup on the frankencruiser scars to make it look close to decent.

I was expecting a lot when I purchased it. Originally everything underneath aside from the exhaust was painted bright red. Frame, suspension, drivetrain, bumpers etc. The wiring was a mess, so I tore that out and am putting in new wiring harness now. I did find through the process that it has ARB lockers on front and rear, but the lines and pump are gone. I have new bulkhead kits ordered to fix that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom