T case Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi - I'm Brad and a new cruiser owner. I bought a 78 fj40 that hadn't run in 3 years.
after going thought some butchered wiring I have it up and running, but couldn't get it to move.

Went to drain the oil from the t-case and it came out an 80-90w powder. Took it off and it was seized and rusted and I couldn't get it free.

I checked faq and the tech section I coudn't find anything. I was wondering which t-cases i could buy and bolt. Being a college student I'm hoping for the cheap and easy. Can I bolt up a tcase from a fj60? If so which years.

thanks - BRAD

74 to 80 Single piece 4spd case is what you need. Personally I'd stick with a 78-80 case. Personally I'd stick with anything 75 and over. The later the year the better. SHould be able to be had for around 200 in fairly good shape.

thanks -

If I could get a good deal on a tranny and tcase from an 84 fj60 could I just swap that it - how hard/how involved would that be

thanks again for your help

thanks -

If I could get a good deal on a tranny and tcase from an 84 fj60 could I just swap that it - how hard/how involved would that be

thanks again for your help

It would work, but you need a crossmember support and you'll have no emergency brake. I would look for a good 75-80 t-case and just swap it out. I have a nearly complete t-case you could have from a '76, but it isn't worth shipping cross country.

Hi - I'm Brad and a new cruiser owner. I bought a 78 fj40 that hadn't run in 3 years.
after going thought some butchered wiring I have it up and running, but couldn't get it to move.

Went to drain the oil from the t-case and it came out an 80-90w powder. Took it off and it was seized and rusted and I couldn't get it free.

I checked faq and the tech section I coudn't find anything. I was wondering which t-cases i could buy and bolt. Being a college student I'm hoping for the cheap and easy. Can I bolt up a tcase from a fj60? If so which years.

thanks - BRAD

Brad, I have a 1978 FJ40 and successfully bolted on a 1975 tcase. Found it through a MUD member for $150. ;)

Could I just mount the fj60 case to the fj40 4speed (H42) tranny?
what all would be involved with that.
thanks!

Welcome.

Two different animals...

Your trans has a 16 spline output shaft...

Split case will have a 19 spline input gear....

Among other little differences..

Just find a one piece case and be done with it.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom