T case Question

Hi - I'm Brad and a new cruiser owner. I bought a 78 fj40 that hadn't run in 3 years.
after going thought some butchered wiring I have it up and running, but couldn't get it to move.

Went to drain the oil from the t-case and it came out an 80-90w powder. Took it off and it was seized and rusted and I couldn't get it free.

I checked faq and the tech section I coudn't find anything. I was wondering which t-cases i could buy and bolt. Being a college student I'm hoping for the cheap and easy. Can I bolt up a tcase from a fj60? If so which years.

thanks - BRAD

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
74 to 80 Single piece 4spd case is what you need. Personally I'd stick with a 78-80 case. Personally I'd stick with anything 75 and over. The later the year the better. SHould be able to be had for around 200 in fairly good shape.

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
SILVER Star
thanks -

If I could get a good deal on a tranny and tcase from an 84 fj60 could I just swap that it - how hard/how involved would that be

thanks again for your help

It would work, but you need a crossmember support and you'll have no emergency brake. I would look for a good 75-80 t-case and just swap it out. I have a nearly complete t-case you could have from a '76, but it isn't worth shipping cross country.

Hi - I'm Brad and a new cruiser owner. I bought a 78 fj40 that hadn't run in 3 years.
after going thought some butchered wiring I have it up and running, but couldn't get it to move.

Went to drain the oil from the t-case and it came out an 80-90w powder. Took it off and it was seized and rusted and I couldn't get it free.

I checked faq and the tech section I coudn't find anything. I was wondering which t-cases i could buy and bolt. Being a college student I'm hoping for the cheap and easy. Can I bolt up a tcase from a fj60? If so which years.

thanks - BRAD

Brad, I have a 1978 FJ40 and successfully bolted on a 1975 tcase. Found it through a MUD member for $150. ;)

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
Could I just mount the fj60 case to the fj40 4speed (H42) tranny?
what all would be involved with that.
thanks!

Welcome.

Two different animals...

Your trans has a 16 spline output shaft...

Split case will have a 19 spline input gear....

Among other little differences..

Just find a one piece case and be done with it.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom