Swing out tire carrier questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.lovetheworld.nl
I want to have a carrier fabricated for my spare tire on the right, and a box + jerry can on the left. I can't weld myself but I can make a drawing for the guy who is going to weld it, and buy the right hinges and stuff. It should be mounted on the hitch plate which is allowed to tow 2000kg, so should be okay.
It will only hold a 29" mud tire, so the weight is not that high.
My questions:

1: Is it true that they always rest on the hinge?
I see some pictures, and it looks like they always take the full load on the hinge, so also during driving. I would think it would be better to have it rest on the steel supporting beam under it when driving, but I haven't seen to much examples of it. Would be nice to have some inspiration.

2: Is it true to that most hinge systems available (weld on things, aimed at this use) are way overrated for my 29" wheel? I see some really nice hinges, but they can cost over $100 and have a weight rating of 500lbs / 250kg, way too much.
I have to weigh my wheel to be honest, but I guess you need some more weight rating for the steel, and the fact that you apply it at a distance of the hinge, which makes the force greater.

I probably have more questions later

This is an example of what I want, so it is not so big like with the big trucks.
I have ambulance-style doors opening to left and right, so we have to design it that opens far enough so the doors can open.

IMGP2377.jpg

Have you looked into using a trailer spindle and hub? Relatively inexpensive and should be readily available.

Thanks for the suggestion. That looks a lot cheaper.

Am I correct in saying that the trailer spindle and hubs are meant for applications with bearings and the weld-on hinges for swing out carriers are without bearings? Even though they are more expensive it is usually just a pin and a sleeve, sometimes greasable.

Yep. 'Standard' trailer wheel bearings. Usually 1"(25mm)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom