Sway Bar Extensions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SURE!

I'm up for the challenge...'cuz it seems easy! I'll run to HD/Lowes/Napa this weekend to find parts to do this.

Well...I guess I won't pressure Jim toooooo much. he's got lots going on. It's always nice to "give him da'business" prior to giving him business.

;)

Nice to hear Shawn! Maybe you can create a little side business to fund the 40 :D

:cheers:

well if someone steps up and makes and offers quick disconnects for front and/or rear i will be in line to buy some. i was convinced of this over the past week in death valley, came back to ask about them because ive not found a supplier in the past day and voila!

ps: i would want them as bullet proof as possible and also as easy to disconnect and reconnect as possible. i have ome 2.5 inch lift plus greasable shackles if that makes any difference.

one love
jah bill

I agree and am certain Shawn can come up with such a disconnect.

Shawn, when you need to see a 62 to make the rear disconnect you know who to call. ;)

alrighty then...

Looks like I have a project....excellent! I'll use my old ones to play with and see what I come up with.

I've an 11mo. old, so I'll sneak into the garage when I can. It doesn't seem too difficult, that's for sure.

Maybe we should get you stuck with your new OME? then test fit to a 62? ;)

Are you guys talking about figuring out a way to do rear extensions?

Here's how I did mine. Shamelessly stolen idea from KLF:

Get some 1/2" tubing from home depot.
Cut the sway bar links in half.
grind them down untill they fit in the tubing.
Cut the tubing to the length you want to extend the bars, pluss some to slip into the tubing.
Slip the cut ends into the tubeing. I grind it so that they will slip in pretty easy.
Stick the extended bars on the truck to make sure you have everything alligned right, and the lenth is correct. You want the sway bar to be parallel to the ground.

Weld it up. Paint them.

I'll be glad to extend yours for you if you don't weld. My welds aren't pretty, but they hold. PM me.

BTW, this is on my FF, so that's a home-made bracket on the axle side of the sway bar. That's why it looks jacked up.
IMG_0328.JPG
IMG_0201.JPG

Looks good Greg, do you disconnect them offroad? I see what looks like a quick release on the bottom, can you provide detail of that too?

Yep, I disconnect them to go to the river, leave alone to wheel.

Same exact set up as th one in tech links:
five.jpg

I'm going to try the agent orange zip tie it up technique next time. I ususally un bolt the bar from the axle and leave it at home.

Last edited:
Are you guys talking about figuring out a way to do rear extensions?

Here's how I did mine. Shamelessly stolen idea from KLF:

Get some 1/2" tubing from home depot.
Cut the sway bar links in half.
grind them down untill they fit in the tubing.
Cut the tubing to the length you want to extend the bars, pluss some to slip into the tubing.
Slip the cut ends into the tubeing. I grind it so that they will slip in pretty easy.
Stick the extended bars on the truck to make sure you have everything alligned right, and the lenth is correct. You want the sway bar to be parallel to the ground.

Weld it up. Paint them.

I'll be glad to extend yours for you if you don't weld. My welds aren't pretty, but they hold. PM me.

BTW, this is on my FF, so that's a home-made bracket on the axle side of the sway bar. That's why it looks jacked up.

After looking at this it really makes more sense than a quick disconnect. Two bolts and it's off, that's quick enough isn't it?

Greg, .5" tubing? ID or OD?

Thanks.

I buy a set if you guys are interested in fabbing them. (The fronts)

After looking at this it really makes more sense than a quick disconnect. Two bolts and it's off, that's quick enough isn't it?

Greg, .5" tubing? ID or OD?

Thanks.

OD. It's labeled 1/2" at Home Depot in their metal section.

I go ahead and cut the sway bar links, wire wheel the paint off of them and take them into Home Depot with me. Thats how I know I got the right thing. Remember, you do have to take a little metal off of them to get them to slip into the tubing.

Thanks Greg, I'll pick up some 1/2" and if it doesn't work I'll do as you suggest, lazy man's approach. ;)

Since I installed the 2.5" OME HD system I removed the front and rear swaybars. It did have some roll (just enough to frustrate the Mrs).
Bought a new plasma cutter a few days ago and needed something to play with...Extended the rear swaybar and reinstalled it today. Made a HUGE difference and made it feel much more "planted" while on the road.
Such an easy removal/install that its kinda iffy whether its worth fiddling with quick disconnects. I mean, its either 2 bolts (with QD) or 4 bolts (without QD).

Last edited:
that looks easy enough.

we can get that done chris.

when we do your locker, we can take a closer look :D

One more vote for fronts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom