Suspension refresh on 2006 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey crew,

I'm getting back in to a bit of wrenching and want to refresh the suspension on my 06 LX470 with 195k miles. From what I can tell it's had a fairly easy Californian life, the AHC still works fine and the ride is decent although I don't have much to compare to. I've inspected the suspension and it seems that the stabilizer link bushings front and rear are all gone, the cushions on the shocks are cracked and probably a few bushings are past their best. A few questions:

1) Is replacing the rear coil springs for new OEM (AHC version, 8231-6A770, 48231-6A780) likely to improve the ride? No obvious problems with the old ones but I assume that they're the originals.

2) It looks like the AHC shocks can be purchased for around $200 (48510-69127) whereas all the bushings separately are close to $100 plus the labor to press them in to an old shock - is it a no brainer to just buy the shocks that come with all the bushings and install those? (This thread was an excellent help: Front AHC shock bushing and cushion replacement - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/front-ahc-shock-bushing-and-cushion-replacement.1221355/page-2)

I also ordered new globes from Impex so will be installing those when they arrive - I currently get 8 on the graduation test but want to get the ride like new!

Are there any other must do or highly likely to be shot bushings on an LX with these miles?

Cheers!

PXL_20230215_012722608.jpg

PXL_20210418_174309059.jpg

PXL_20230215_012715602.jpg

PXL_20230215_002813425.jpg

All your front and rear control arm bushings, there are 18 in total. Also diff bushings (3 locations and 5 parts) and engine/tranny mounts (3 more).
I'm currently working through all this myself. Ultimately, body mounts are on the list as well.

Oh, nice looking truck!

These kits come with OEM parts to replace all the bushings for your suspension in the front and rear. It does not include tie rod ends, upper or lower ball joints, or any diff bushings or tranny mounts. It also doesn't include anything for the CV axles if they are leaking.

Also sway bar links if they've not been done. It's amazing how much a little tiny bushing can impact the ride.

I cranked my torsion bars two turns this morning and I am somewhat amazed at the difference in ride…2006 @ 180k.I did the ahc flush last summer doubt the bars had ever been touched..

I cranked my torsion bars two turns this morning and I am somewhat amazed at the difference in ride…2006 @ 180k.I did the ahc flush last summer doubt the bars had ever been touched..
Nice! We're u guided by the AHC pressures at all or just gave them a crank as they'd likely flexed over time?

I’m going to eventually get my tech stream working but I just wanted to take some of the load off of the globes. I figured I could always put it back if I didn’t like the results..

Great plan to go through this refresh. I have a I have a 2006 lx470 and have been going through the same process. I’ve done a number of items, globes, fluid flush, sway bar refresh kit, front and rear upper and lower control arms/links (SPC and Metaltech rears). Techstream and cranked TB to get in correct pressures. My 2006 drives smoother than my 2015. Had to add onboard air with rear bags for weight from skid plates and bumpers but it is great. Really trying my hardest to not go standard shock lift because I love the AHC.

Still getting some clunking over speed bumps and feeling many small cracks in pavement and shock bushings seem to be culprit. No leaks in my shocks but as you mentioned labor for bushings seems pointless so I’m considering swapping out with new shocks. Are all year AHC shocks interchangeable? I am hearing fronts are interchangeable from 1999-2007 but rear shocks are only interchangeable from 2002-2007. I have access to some new OEM AHC shocks off a 2001 so I can’t figure out what makes the rear shocks different and why 2001 shocks would it work for a 2006. Anyone know if 2001 front and rear OEM will work on 2006?

Also I would love to rebuild my pump and reservoir so I am looking at some used pump/tanks and hoping all years are interchangeable also. Anyone know if they are all interchangeable?

Thanks in advance for the help!

4749D7AB-907C-4615-B342-6C4B5432D1DB.jpeg

2EE360B2-FE66-459D-8331-91356FFA84F3.jpeg

28ED0E5F-EF2D-47FF-84D6-5BEADBE32B4D.jpeg

BD2F7FAA-30A1-496E-AC3B-0FE05E991832.jpeg

This is timely post as I am looking to do this as well.
Two weeks ago I went under the car and noticed that the rear sway bar link were lose. The bushes were not so fresh anymore, might be 300,000 kms old.
So new ones and link itself were bought and I installed it last weekend.
I haven't driven the car yet, but it will surely be better.

Having recently gone through all the bushings and mounts on my 04 LC I encourage everyone to go through these as all of mine showed dry-rotting of some form.

Having recently gone through all the bushings and mounts on my 04 LC I encourage everyone to go through these as all of mine showed dry-rotting of some form.

I have read that there are no part numbers for the rear lower arm bushings.
However some are using 80-series bushes.
What did you do?

What did you do?
I replaced all the arms, LCA’s, UCA’s, and mounts (body, motor, trans, front diff) combined it was a huge difference. Individually each felt like 3%-5% (barely noticeable).

Great plan to go through this refresh. I have a I have a 2006 lx470 and have been going through the same process. I’ve done a number of items, globes, fluid flush, sway bar refresh kit, front and

Still getting some clunking over speed bumps and feeling many small cracks in pavement and shock bushings seem to be culprit. No leaks in my shocks but as you mentioned labor for bushings seems pointless so I’m considering swapping out with new shocks. Are all year AHC shocks interchangeable? I am hearing fronts are interchangeable from 1999-2007 but rear shocks are only interchangeable from 2002-2007. I have access to some new OEM AHC shocks off a 2001 so I can’t figure out what makes the rear shocks different and why 2001 shocks would it work for a 2006. Anyone know if 2001 front and rear OEM will work on 2006?

Also I would love to rebuild my pump and reservoir so I am looking at some used pump/tanks and hoping all years are interchangeable also. Anyone know if they are all interchangeable?

Thanks in advance for the help!
What did you do?
There is absolutely part #’s for the rear control arm bushings. Partsq.com has great diagrams to look up parts and then order through Impex. I used this method for parts and did the work myself. Totally worth it!

Also shock bushings can be replaced with OE parts and isn’t difficult. At least the fronts aren’t.

There is absolutely part #’s for the rear control arm bushings. Partsq.com has great diagrams to look up parts and then order through Impex. I used this method for parts and did the work myself. Totally worth it!

Also shock bushings can be replaced with OE parts and isn’t difficult. At least the fronts aren’t.

Strange as Amayama and Toydiy don't list them.

Do you still have the factory AHC shocks?

1690265507389.png

Just checked, no mentioning of bushing on Partsouq either.

Strange as Amayama and Toydiy don't list them.

Do you still have the factory AHC shocks?
Yes, still have factory AHC shocks. I just replaced the bushings in the front. I haven’t yet tackled the rear shocks, but have the parts on the shelf.

My 99 has been in progress with me since I got it. AHC globes and fluid, rear upper and lower control arms (just ordered the uppers today to go with the lowers I've had here for weeks), rear spring spacers to help the sagged OEM springs. After that it''ll be time to take off the front hydraulic shocks and push out/ press in the lower bushings and upper cushions. After THAT it'll probably need transfer case bushings.

Basically, after 250k, it's worth just redoing all of it. You don't have to do all of it at once, but if you have the time/ inclination that would be the most reliable way to get a great riding truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom