Sunroof issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well today we got a fair amount of rain and I found water on my front passenger seat. The leak is coming from the rear part of the window directly in the middle. So today after work I checked my drains with the weed wacker line method and everything seems to be clear. Well when I tilted the sunroof up to look at the seal this is what I found. It might be hard to see in the pic but there is hole in the seal that's a little less then a half inch long.

I have searched on hear and I cannot find anyone really addressing this issue. Apparently, some on MUD mentioned about having to get a whole window assembly because they couldn't find a replacement seal. Anyone ever replace the rubber seal around the sunroof?

Well I am glad to see I am not the only one with this issue. Just curious does everyone else have the same wear in the rear seal like mine? I wish I took some pics when it was leaking to accurately show where the water is coming it at. In my situation the headliner and everything else is 100% dry.

In my 30 min of research so far it looks like my only option might be to replace the whole glass since it's a one piece application, the part alone is 350. I hope there are other options, I can't believe we just can't replace the seal itself. Plus, I don't trust myself to replace the window correctly. With my luck it just wouldn't find right and I am kind of OCD when it comes to stuff like that.

In the end if I have to end up replacing the window anyways might as well experiment to see if there is another solution. I wonder if I could inject is small amount of silicone in the hole in the seal to try to seal it up. When the sunroof is closed you would never see it. Only time you would is when the roof is tilted up and you would have to be on the roof to see it anyways so who give a F____.

Thoughts.... Suggestions?

LockedNLoaded: you cannot replace the glass and seal as a one piece pre-assembled assembly. I went through this ordeal last summer when I replaced the sunroof cables. I wanted to get a factory-set seal with new glass and was prepared to bite the bullet so my sunroof wouldn't leak but Beno said they're two separate parts (unlike the 80-Series roofs). I ordered new weatherstripping from Beno when I ordered everything and pulled the old one off, scraped off the remnants of glue, and applied 3M Trim Adhesive and let the seal set. Been leak-free since I fixed it.

Rich

LockedNLoaded: you cannot replace the glass and seal as a one piece pre-assembled assembly. I went through this ordeal last summer when I replaced the sunroof cables. I wanted to get a factory-set seal with new glass and was prepared to bite the bullet so my sunroof wouldn't leak but Beno said they're two separate parts (unlike the 80-Series roofs). I ordered new weatherstripping from Beno when I ordered everything and pulled the old one off, scraped off the remnants of glue, and applied 3M Trim Adhesive and let the seal set. Been leak-free since I fixed it.

Rich

Thanks for the info. I am glad to see there is another option there. When I was looking at the Toyota Parts diagrams last night it did not show a weather striping option. Do you have to remove the glass to install the new strip? Sorry if that's a stupid question, I have never had to mess with a sunroof before.

No problem. Yes, you have to remove the glass in order to replace the weatherstripping.

Remove the two interior plastic trim pieces on the sides and undo the four nuts and pop the glass up and out, it'll be easier with someone else to help.

If you do replace the seal, chances are the new one will be kinda tight which is a good thing. Let the glue set overnight so it can bond... My friend did this without letting the glue set and it pulled the back end of the weatherstripping off.

If you still find it leaking and/or tight when in use, use a hairdryer and go around the perimeter to soften it up a bit.

Well seeing how I was faced with spending hundreds of dollars fixing this issue I thought I would spend three bucks and give permatex rtv silicone sealant a try and it worked perfectly. No more leaking at all!!! I just made sure to inject enough into the seal on both ends. I highly recommend giving this a try first.

If you don't care about opening the sun roof, I've heard of people just sealing them closed with a good thick bead of silicone and removing the fuse. This was on other cars, but would work here, I imagine.

If you don't care about opening the sun roof, I've heard of people just sealing them closed with a good thick bead of silicone and removing the fuse. This was on other cars, but would work here, I imagine.
There is no way I could do that to a cruiser.

Not to be too ghetto, but I temporarily plugged a hole CV boot with that flex-seal stuff and it worked awesome. I would bet a small squeeze of that into that hole would give you some extra time. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom