Suggestions on best way to deal with rubbing from tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m sure this subject has probably been beat to death, but after my new tires, I am now in the learning curve for a tire rubbing solution.
I have the Radflo 2.5 lift (Coilovers in front and the spring kit in back. Also added in the spydertrax 1.25” spacers when I had my 265/70/17s. Now with the new KO2 285/70/17s, I am rubbing in the front when turning (especially in reverse). We trimmed a little of the plastic in front of the tires and zip tied the cuts together which helped, but still have some rubbing on the plastic in front and a tiny bit on the steel behind the tire.
I find myself jumping to conclusions on how to help, like maybe I need new wheels with a different offset and/or new UCAs.
I searched but didn’t find any videos on how to trim the plastic. Can anyone give a good set of instructions or point me to a link or video. Tires work great and look good so far though.
upload_2019-1-5_15-13-0.jpeg

Losing the spacers and buying wheels with a slightly more aggressive offset (~0 offset) would help. That'll push the tire out, but not as far as you are with the spacers, so it will be less likely to rub on the body mount and wheel well liners.

If you want to keep the spacers, you can do a body mount chop (grinding down the piece of metal behind the tires).

This video helped me move my wheel well liners forward.

I have -12 offset on my 17x9 MB Wheels and still rubbed on the metal on frame. This was on the BFG KO/KO2 in front 285/70R17s

I just did a quick test at a parking lot on my new Nitto Ridge Grapplers and didn’t hear the rubbing noise on the metal frame on reverse and forward full turn. I only turned in one direction trying to get out of a shopping center.

So, tire brand seems to possibly make a difference even if it’s a tiny small difference. Not sure what’s the difference. Only thing that changed was new tires and alignment.

Never mind, just did a full turn again and im still rubbing at full turn. And mine rubs on the frame. Not a body mount, so you cannot chop the frame area where my tire rubs

Last edited:
BMC is the easiest in combination with more caster and some seam pounding and plastic trimming

Just for reference...I’ve done the front bumper liner trimming, removal of running boards, and caster adjustment via TC UCAs. I have -12 offset wheels on 285/70R17 AT tires. Im lifted approx 2.5” in front with the 6112 coilovers.

The back of the tire still rubs the frame at full turns primarily on reverse and sometimes going forward. Mainly on the drivers side. No rubbing on the fender liner at all on and off road.

My solution is to avoid full on turns! So, my turning radius is now wider to avoid rubbing.

In short, getting new wheels with more offset or aftermarket UCAs might not fully solve your rubbing problem. You might have to pound some metal.

Lose the Spidertrax and and most of your rubbing will disappear. If you like the Spidertrax then a BMC is a must. Better yet is LR UCAs and push the caster forward as much as possible. Each tire manufacturer is a little different so you have to pay attention to their exact specs for any specific size. Just like shoe sizes run differently depending on shoe company...
A lot of 285-17-17 that are commonly known as “33s”, are 32.8, etc etc, and some are actually 33”.

If you plan on going bigger than a 285, then a BMC will be in your future.

thank you...those videos (and feedback) helped me get a good feel for what is needed. I might try to find someone in the PNW that can help do some of the metal work. I can trim the front liners but just don't have the tools or shop to do the BMC myself. Maybe some aftermarket UCAs will help too (at the very least I need to do another alignment after the new tires).
while we are at it...any recommendations for the UCAs...? I have seen several posts of those who have the total chaos and some who have the JBA.

Really depends on your setup, climate and purpose. Here in the NE, running uniball UCAs is almost pointless due to climate and the amount of salt used on the roads in the winter. Therefore I run SPC LR UCAs. If I could run Total Chaos I would. That being said, I have the OME 2.5” lift, SPC UCAs, 17X 8.5 0 offset wheel w/ 285-70-17, no BMC and I’m not rubbing. I removed the OE running boards and modified the front plastics as in the video that @Arailt shared.
I did do the BMC on my FJC but was running Spidertrax. Bought a cheap angle grinder and it was about 10 minutes worth of work on each side. There is a new method that guys are doing as well. Basically taking a wedge out of the body mount, pounding the plate back into place and then tacking it. Some have done this with just a dremel tool.

thanks...appreciate the info on UCAs Now I might be doing a few days of research on all the ones I have heard of (Dobinsons, SPC, Total Chaos, JBA, etc)

Here are some more:
Icon
Rokmen

I was initially interested in the JBA as they are local to me but was turned off by the GM balljoint. Just personal preference.

Hey @BobinLaconner, do you have a picture of where you tire rubs on the frame? I'm just curious to see if its in the same spot as mine. Here's a picture of the rub point on mine. This is the driver side tire.
Tire_Rubs_Frame_01.jpg

I think mine is about the same. Hits that body mount and also the front plastic. I will have to look again to see if the rub pattern on the body mount is the same as yours​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom