Strongest car wash soap to remove grease, dirt, contaminants?

Discussion in 'Paint and Body' started by Bryan062087, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Bryan062087

Bryan062087

Can someone recommend a strong car wash soap or spray that is really good at removing grease, dirt, grime and all other contaminants?

I've used some armor all cleaning wipes and spray cleaner, but I don't want to continue using it since I don't believe its designed for painted surfaces.

Thanks

2. gregnash

gregnash Anal Retentive Analyst SILVER Star

If you have a pressure washer everyone seems to believe that investing in a Foam Canon attachment is one of the best things to help remove all the garbage. From there, I have heard that plain ole Simple Green is great for getting everything off. I have not yet tried it though.

Splangy likes this.
  3. stpetedale

stpetedale

Dawn will strip almost all grease and waxes. I wouldn't use as a regular maintenance wash. I use chemical guys citrus wash. If u have stubborn grease and brake dust etc in paint finish I would use Car pro Iron x followed by a good clay to pull all the junk out of paint then a wax of your choice.

Empty room likes this.
  4. Brentbba

Brentbba Former Golfer SILVER Star

X2 on Dawn...not for regular use. I use Zaino Bros. show car polish products and they instruct you to strip all old wax, grease, grime, etc with Dawn as well. They have the same caveat about not using Dawn for an every day car wash too.

Edit - I've also used a Turtle Wax tree sap type remover on a brand new car! :eek: Car had been sitting under a tree at the dealer and despite dealer attempts still had a mild rough feel to the paint. Got more than a HE!! of a deal so I wasn't worried. After Dawn, the Turtle Wax product and a good clay job the finish was perfect.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    stevezero, gregnash and PAToyota like this.
  5. gregnash

Ok so has anyone tried Dawn in one of those Foam Blaster/Canon things? I plan on painting my FJ60 in a few months here and will need something that can get all the dirt/grime/etc. off thoroughly before I throw down the paint. Had originally thought of using full strength Simple Green (the actual green stuff) in the foam canon, doing a couple washes with that and letting it air dry. But then I have heard awesome things about Super Clean Degreaser (simple purple bottle with simple writing on it that I think I have passed over in the LAPS multiple times because it was just the "simple" looking) and was thinking of throwing some of that into a foam canon for a good, thorough cleaning.

6. LC4LIFE

LC4LIFE Supporting Vendor SILVER Star

Dawn, Simple Green, APC's will all work well to clean and decrease it , but will not work well for prepping it for paint. Many of these have perfumes, or some sort of other additive that gives it a scent or some sort of "softness". That characteristic is bad prior to paint. You can use these to clean your 60 to get all the gunk off of it, but once you scuff/sand the surface you will want to use a proper surface prep cleaner prior to priming or painting. If all you do is use one of these cleaners and let it dry you will get fisheyes.

stevezero and gregnash like this.
  7. PAToyota

PAToyota Keystone Cruisers SILVER Star

Yep, even the Dawn "pure essentials" states that it has "essential oils" in it. Wait… Clean off all the grease, but then put oils back on? Yep…

Use it to strip the grease, wax, and dirt off, but then wipe it all down with a pre-paint prep solution of some sort.

gregnash likes this.
  8. gregnash

Good to know...

9. Empty room

Empty room GOLD Star

Purple power or power clean degreasers and dawn afterwards will clean ANYTHING!!!! Let the degreaser set a minute or so and agitate... then wash with dawn! Rinse... wax soon

Repeat if necessary but that should get it with a good body firm brush or scrubber that’s paint safe

stevezero likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.