Strange scraping noise from he rear while turning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All, a new noise has popped up on my 2011 LX and of course, this is happening while I'm on vacation 500+ miles from home and my garage.

When I'm turning to the left with enough speed (20+MPH) I'm hearing a noise from the left rear. I'm 95% sure it's from the rear. I'm 99.9% sure it's "rotational" in nature based on the sound itself. It sounds like something is scraping, not really grinding as the wheel turns. I have only heard it at low speeds but that may be because it's only at lower speeds (20-25MPH) that I can turn enough to really have the truck lean a bit to the right. I do NOT hear it when moving straight and do NOT hear it when turning right, only to the left. Applying the brakes makes no difference in the noise. That being said, this is the same wheel that I had a locked caliper on (since replaced) 10 months ago.

Any thoughts or advice? A little worried about the 500+ mile trip home. As if the gas shortage in the southeast wasn't enough to worry about for the trip.

I’m with others, my mind went immediately to rock between the rotor and dust shield.

You may also be able to help knock it loose with a car wash pressure sprayer.

I had something similar happen on the front DS wheel last year. Turns out that one of the clips that holds the brake pad in place had broken and at least one of the brake pads on that wheel was not secured correctly any longer.

Thanks guys!

I’ve tried the reversing and breaking hard with no success and puzzled looks from other vacationers. Also, I need to modify my statement. I do hear it now on the right side when I’m turning right. So, it appears to be on the rear on both sides only when turning a little sharply at 20-30 mph. Haven’t gotten any faster than that on the island on so not sure if it would make the noise at higher speeds or not but I think not. It seems to be related to “lean”. Also, when driving slowly (10mph) on a bumpy road I’ll hear it occasionally.

Just throwing this out to cross off your list. Double check the lug nuts. My buddy lost a wheel after a day of wheeling. Had a scraping sound coming from the rear that he thought was axle related. Turned out it was either loose lugs or wheel studs. Ultimately Snapped the wheel studs and lost a wheel on the drive home.

Just throwing this out to cross off your list. Double check the lug nuts. My buddy lost a wheel after a day of wheeling. Had a scraping sound coming from the rear that he thought was axle related. Turned out it was either loose lugs or wheel studs. Ultimately Snapped the wheel studs and lost a wheel on the drive home.
I will definitely check this since I rotated my tires a week ago. I did kinda loosely check one wheel but it didn’t seem to have lug nuts loose that could move with my fingers. I’ll double check with a tire iron.
How many miles are on the LX and any rust? It could be the rear wheel bearings or dust shields.
143k and not much rust fortunately. Spent most of its life in northern Kentucky. I fluid filmed it last year.

The thing that is confusing but also telling (perhaps) is that only seems to make noise when something is being pushed slightly off center by centrifugal force or a bump. Straightforward on smooth pavement = no discernible noise.

Would it be possible to see a rock or shell (vacationing on a Florida island) if I take the wheel off? Or would I need to get the caliper and rotor off as well? I have a pretty extensive tool set with me but not full mechanics garage set.

Thanks again for your help guys!

I never got around to doing a write-up on this, but as the rear dust shields rust they expand outboard and make contact with the inner lip on the inside face of the rotor. I noticed mine when I replaced the rear rotors and it expanded so much that the wheels couldn't rotate by hand when the lug nuts were torqued. I looked at the factory rotors and that lip had been machined down to eliminate dragging. I had a similar scraping noise and had Toyota fix it under an extended warranty and I guess that was the problem and their fix.

I machined my new ones down by 0.1" and hammered the dust shields as best as they could be and haven't had another issue. Could be worth looking at if you're planning on taking the wheel off. Unfortunately the number of possibilities that contribute to scraping and vibration is up there with interior rattles and such.

Good luck with the trip.

I have had the exact same problem for some time now. I haven't had the chance to remove the wheels to inspect but I believe it's dust shield related like stated by some here.

Ok, so got home yesterday and the noise did not magically disappear while driving the 500+ miles home. Fortunately, it is only when the truck is leaning over so doesn't seem to be an issue while driving on the highway.

Got the wheel and rotor off this morning. Didn't see anything obvious. Dust shield is showing a very small bit of rust but no wear spots shining through indicating metal on metal scraping. Using compressed air, I blew everything out that I could reach including the dust shield, the caliper, parking brake area, etc. Put the wheel back on and the noise remains unchanged. I've also loosened the parking brake spring as far as it will go to try to remove any contact between the inside of the rotor and the brake.

Here's a video of what it sounds like while driving.

The first 3 times you hear the noise (first is at about 10 seconds in) I'm turning to the left at about 20 MPH. The 4th and last time you hear the noise (which is similar but definitely different), I'm turning to the right at about 20 MPH.

Here's what it sound like turning it by hand with the rotor on and rotor off:

Here are some images with the wheel and rotor off:

IMG_8309.jpg

IMG_8310.jpg

IMG_8311.jpg

It definitely sounds like sheet metal that is scraping but I can't find anywhere that the dust shield appears to be rubbing.

It sure sounds like what I’ve experienced when the backing plate rubs the rotor. I wonder if you have a wheel bearing going and that is allowing the hub assembly to change position when it is turning?

Is this just a funny angle?

389CF4E0-CB8F-43E1-9523-1013B171E5D5.jpeg

Is this just a funny angle?

View attachment 2675903
Funny in what way? I've never taken the rotor off before so I don't know if what you have circled is normal. I see how it looks kinda skewed but I'm not sure if that is the camera or not.

Looks like it was against the hub in the photo. I assume it isn’t the case, but worth confirming.

I think he is indicating that it looks like that brake shoe retainer looks awfully close to the flange on the axle shaft. I could see if it was really close, then you put the rotor back on, the "hat" of the rotor might push on the shoe just enough to get contact there.

Looking at it again, I'm not sure that retainer is fully engaged the way it's supposed to be. I hate those things.

Good catch. I have a tool specifically for that, it has a screwdriver handle, but allows you to press in the hat and turn it 90 degrees between the install position and the latched position.

38228A36-2720-4195-B680-C24C93BBB39D.jpeg

Looks like it is not installed all the way. Should be pushed in and rotated 90 degrees. That's probably the source of your noise.

Hey guys (especially @empty80 for hopefully catching that odd angle), thanks for sticking with me through this challenge. There is nothing I hate more than an inconsistent problem. Makes it really hard to track it down. I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to look at it tomorrow. I've ordered a "brake tool set" that should arrive Tuesday which has a tool that should do the trick for fixing that clip. I know I probably could use something around the garage but I'm planning on doing a full rotor/pad replacement plus parking brake pad replacement soon anyway so I need that set in the garage.

I'll let you know the outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom