Strange CDL mod ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everybody

I have a 1995 HDJ80 4.2TD 24valve manual.
No axel-lockers but factory CDL (I presume :)

The previous owner made some kind of mod to the CDL wiring I can’t understand. The CDL hasn’t been working in the time I’ve owned the vehicle.

At the Transfer Control Relay a pin on the connector has been pulled out and isolated – and the wire from another pin (Pin 6) has been cut and directed via new wire to CDL switch.

At the CDL button a plug on the connector has been pulled out and isolated – and the wire from another plug has been cut and directed via the new wire to Transfer Control Relay.

I have looked at the CDL mod threads - mut this dosn't look like that ?
I've also looked at the EWD but I can't work it out :(

Can anyone shed a light on this? Help – and/or pictures of original wiring at Transfer Control Relay and CDL button appreciated :cheers:

Best regards,
Chris, Denmark

At_Transfer_Control_relay.jpg

CDL_switch.jpg

I don't know what you've got going on there, with the Slee Off Road 7 pin mod they remove the black wire with the blue trace from the same connector as your dealing with. Anyway here is a copy of the Slee info just in case it might help you.

This modification does not have anything to do with the CENTER DIFFERENTIAL LOCK SWITCH (CDL) directly. You do not have to do this, if you just install a CDL switch. The purpose of this mod is to overide the default behaviour of the vehicle that automatically lock the center diff in low range.

However if you do this mod, you are going to need a CDL switch, otherwise you will never be able to lock the center diff.

Remove the dead pedal and the left front sill plate.

DSC03305.JPG

In the left kick panel you will find a Silver metal box. That is the ABS ECU.

DSC03308.JPG

Remove it, and behind you will find a black plastic relay about the size of a cigarette pack. It says "transmission control relay" on it. That's what you are after. The EWD calls it the "center diff lock relay", same thing.

DSC03316.JPG

Unplug the harness from it and take a terminal pick and remove the black wire with blue tracer from pin#7.

DSC03317.JPG

DSC03319.JPG

DSC03321.JPG

DSC03322.JPG

Insulate the bare terminal to suit and then put everything else back where you found it.

If you have the low 4 position switch at the transfer case unplugged, crawl under there and reconnect that as well.

What you have just accomplished is you have interrupted the signal from the transfer case that tells the lock ECU that you went to low range but you are still sending a signal to the transmission ECU telling it that you ARE in low range. Therefore the transmission will shift in the correct low range pattern. In addition you now have true manual control over center diff locking. It only locks when you tell it to without regard to transfer range selection.

Per my 94 wiring manual, plug C4 for the center diff lock relay is set up like this. Note this info is for a 1994, gas fuel, Land Cruiser delivered in the USA.

(1)(2)-------(3)(4)
(5)(6)(7)(X)(9)(10)

Wire color codes for each location
(1)Green
(2)White and Black
(3)Light Blue and Black
(4)Green and Light Blue
(5)Green and Yellow
(6)Black and Red
(7)Black and light blue
(X) open
(9)Black
(10)Green and Black

Each wire feeds
(1) Center diff lock control motor
(2) ground
(3) fuse block
(4) Center diff lock control motor
(5) Center diff lock control motor
(6) Center diff lock control
(7) Transfer switch position
(X) open
(9) Center diff lock control
(10) Center diff lock control motor

IMG_0434.JPG

Last edited:
Per my 94 wiring manual, plug C4 for the center diff lock relay is set up like this. Note this info is for a 1994, gas fuel, Land Cruiser delivered in the USA.

(1)(2)-------(3)(4)
(5)(6)(7)(X)(9)(10)

Wire color codes for each location
(1)Green
(2)White and Black
(3)Light Blue and Black
(4)Green and Light Blue
(5)Green and Yellow
(6)Black and Red
(7)Black and light blue
(X) open
(9)Black
(10)Green and Black

Each wire feeds
(1) Center diff lock control motor
(2) ground
(3) fuse block
(4) Center diff lock control motor
(5) Center diff lock control motor
(6) Center diff lock control
(7) Transfer switch position
(X) open
(9) Center diff lock control
(10) Center diff lock control motor

View attachment 1777498

I know this is a bit old but this is helping me understand the circuit. It's essentially the same from the relay on for the 100. I need to move my switch but want to make sure I understand this right.

So out of the Control Relay Where:
(1) Center diff lock control motor 12+
(4) Center diff lock control motor 12+
(5) Center diff lock control motor Ground
(10) Center diff lock control motor Ground

Am I reading this right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom