Stranded need help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Stuck on a dirt road. I was driving and my horn started going off. Cruiser died and now it won't start .Horn either honks continuously or honks twice when I open the door. It acts like the alarm .Any ideas would help .

It is most likely the alarm. My horn did similar before the alarm let go.
What year have you got?

There was a thread the other week about disabling the alarm. I'll see if I can find it.

The gist of it is this: pull the panel below the steering wheel. On the underside of the steering column is the main harness plug. If you're lucky, the alarm was wired in there.

I believe the main ignition wire is the fat black one. On mine, the wire was clipped, and a relay was wired into it. I pulled on the wires to get at the relay, clipped the wires off, twisted the fat ones together, wrapped it with tape, and drove that way for awhile.

What happens when you turn the key to start it?

Oh, and a quick fix might be this:

1) unbolt the wires going to the positive battery terminal.

2) clean each wire. Ideally with a brass brush, but just a cloth will do

3) PUT THE KEY IN THE IGNITION AND TURN IT TO 'ON'

4) reconnect the wires to the positive battery terminal and tighten them down.

My recollection of the awful stock (port-installed) alarm is that if it loses power, it will assume it's being stolen when it gets power again, unless the ignition is on when it happens.

I completely removed the aftermarket system here on the side of the road and hooked all plugs back up via the factory connections. But still no luck. It will turn over but won't fire. I'm assuming ecu or coil without power. Maybe fuel pump .I guess I will be towing it home to figure it out.

I completely removed the aftermarket system here on the side of the road and hooked all plugs back up via the factory connections. But still no luck. It will turn over but won't fire. I'm assuming ecu or coil without power. Maybe fuel pump .I guess I will be towing it home to figure it out.

Did you remove the alarm relay under the steering column? Removing the alarm won't make any difference if the the relay is still hooked up.

This is what I removed

20180506_145709.jpg

Relay was in that aftermarket harness

Heading back to town with it on tbe trailer. I'll trouble shoot it when I get home. It's probably something simple.

The relay I was referring to is definitely in that pile. Assuming you put the factory connectors back together you should be able move on to the next T/S step.

Just got to the house . never saw any cut wires when removing the alarm .it's probably a fuse somewhere.

Found that the ignition fuse had no power. Fuse was good. Jumped a wire from the rear heater fuse up to the ignition and now she runs. Not sure what is going on with the ignition wire but at keasli found the culprit . Southern engineering picture attached.

15256557088546502084093689617416.jpg

Check continuity across the socket pictured. It supplies B+ to the ECU. If it fails you will NOT get a Check Engine light when turning the key to RUN! Mine failed on the lower pin’s crimp. I was dead in the water until we jumpered a B+ lead from the battery to the ECU. You could pull off your jumper and try jumpering over this socket. It is right in front of the OS resevour.

C9591FDA-721E-4F38-8F46-C0F29880CCDF.jpeg

I have seen this plug as a 1,2, and3 pin plug, depending on year?, but they are all only a single white/red wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom