Stolen FJ62 - SE Portland - FOUND!!! RECOVERED!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you go back to that camp with a can of gasoline and a match? Call it urban renewal!
Hey, lots of conifer trees require heat from a fire to activate and drop seeds from the cones.... just sayin’...

Did you go back to that camp with a can of gasoline and a match? Call it urban renewal!
sure is tempting to pay a visit.

there’s a business next door that has cameras facing into that lot where i found our stuff. i plan to stop in and ask if they’re willing to share any video.

as much as i’d love to see them accidentally have a fire. it’s not worth a murder charge if i’m caught on video pulling in there and torching it all!
1630254775086.png

Yeah I got it. I would have ended up in jail. I would have lost it if I caught some one trying to steal my rig I have had for 44 years. Let things cool down and remember "Revenge is a dish best served cold"

Yeah I got it. I would have ended up in jail. I would have lost it if I caught some one trying to steal my rig I have had for 44 years. Let things cool down and remember "Revenge is a dish best served cold"

spent all weekend detailing the truck. she sure looks good!

moving on from the ordeal. next order of buzz. wire in a kill switch.

i plan to tap into the old NSS circuit from the automatic transmission

AD816CAD-1CED-4C1A-B364-A689DAE00158.jpeg
14F7BDCF-FB89-4206-BDA8-C6C295F367B9.jpeg

i will extend off from those wires and insert a push button switch in a place that only me and my wife and fishing buddy will know about.

plus a club for visual deterrent.

and contacting Hagerty for a full value replacement policy. (just in case all other measures fail)

7C352F04-9468-4080-8B35-91ED0E17F2B1.jpeg

@Paul DiNapoli here is a great Kill Switch that uses a padlock for extra security. About $75 on Amazon.

0C773B03-4764-4320-AF88-92FEDCBC4CA6.png

@Paul DiNapoli here is a great Kill Switch that uses a padlock for extra security. About $75 on Amazon.

View attachment 2773059
would you be willing to share a few more photos of that thing? am i right in assuming that goes under the hood somewhere? does it just disconnect all power from the rest of the rig? (if i'm understanding how that thing works??)

I put my t-case in neutral last night just as thought...and this morning it even foiled me for a split second. gave me a bit of a laugh.

@Paul DiNapoli Here‘s a couple more pic. This shuts off power from your positive lug on your battery down to your starter.

When you have it ‘on’ everything works except your starter. Turn the key, everything lights up, radio is on etc…it just sounds as if you have a dead battery. It is not impossible to work around it…but if you get the one with a padlock it makes it more difficult/time consuming.

I feel much better having it than not having it. Think about Apple AirTags or similar…in addition to this item. In your described situation, if you had Airtags…and an iPhone, you likely could have driven to your stolen rig almost immediately.

EE4F2503-AA0B-42F8-BE50-FD0313BEFA29.png

4BEFA758-D59F-452F-B000-2FF19660B496.png

@Paul DiNapoli Here‘s a couple more pic. This shuts off power from your positive lug on your battery down to your starter.

When you have it ‘on’ everything works except your starter. Turn the key, everything lights up, radio is on etc…it just sounds as if you have a dead battery. It is not impossible to work around it…but if you get the one with a padlock it makes it more difficult/time consuming.

I feel much better having it than not having it. Think about Apple AirTags or similar…in addition to this item. In your described situation, if you had Airtags…and an iPhone, you likely could have driven to your stolen rig almost immediately.

View attachment 2773235

View attachment 2773236
got it...it sits inline on the main line between battery and starter motor.... that's what i was after. in the open position - everything has juice...just nothing to turn over ther starter.

thanks!

Congrats on the safe recovery, that is good news and sounds as measures will be in place to prevent a recurrence.

I think you are correct about the ease of entry/drive being the reason they are taking 60’s, plus to many people these are just old Toyota’s and its reasonable to think they are just part of the urban environment. There are probably several other easy to steal rigs on their list as well, we just aren’t as concerned about most of those.

Sad truth to the modern drug addiction issue is these folks were likely intelligent, productive members of society at one time, now they are mostly using their skills to find the next fix at other’s expense.

What if you found your stolen truck but the VIN plate had been changed. Assuming you proved it to the authorities by the frame stamp or otherwise, would they let you register it if the original VIN plate was long gone?

What if you found your stolen truck but the VIN plate had been changed. Assuming you proved it to the authorities by the frame stamp or otherwise, would they let you register it if the original VIN plate was long gone?

I guess if we're just going down hypothetical - there's more than 1 place to find the VIN on the truck..so that's a good thing.

finding your own truck / getting it back - there is no registration activity due until the next time the tags expire...so this doesn't seem like a big issue (yet). now if you were just about to sell your rig to it's next owner - perhaps that introduces a complication to the sale.

for my case: it's still my truck with my valid plates and my registration slip is in the truck...so there's nothing really to do here (for me until next may 2022). if the vin plates had been popped off - it seems like it would be a problem at some point...but not really one to solve or worry about right now. I don't recall the last time the DMV looked at the vin of my cruiser...and i'm not selling it.

I guess if we're just going down hypothetical - there's more than 1 place to find the VIN on the truck..so that's a good thing.

finding your own truck / getting it back - there is no registration activity due until the next time the tags expire...so this doesn't seem like a big issue (yet). now if you were just about to sell your rig to it's next owner - perhaps that introduces a complication to the sale.

for my case: it's still my truck with my valid plates and my registration slip is in the truck...so there's nothing really to do here (for me until next may 2022). if the vin plates had been popped off - it seems like it would be a problem at some point...but not really one to solve or worry about right now. I don't recall the last time the DMV looked at the vin of my cruiser...and i'm not selling it.
I only had to have my vin checked when I got brand new tags for my truck when I first bought it.

I only had to have my vin checked when I got brand new tags for my truck when I first bought it.
I have never had any vehicles vin checked ever. Well noe can not say that i have srcaped some vehicles they check at the scrap yard around here but about 10 years ago they didn't.

I have never had any vehicles vin checked ever. Well noe can not say that i have srcaped some vehicles they check at the scrap yard around here but about 10 years ago they didn't.
Yeah this truck is the only vehicle that they’ve ever checked. I thought it was odd. When I went in to get all registered the lady said “let’s go see this truck and make sure it is what you say it is”. I guess I didn’t think anything if it at the time but in hind sight it’s kinda odd. Maybe I had forgotten to write the vin down and she just wanted to go out with me to check it... I dunno...

Yeah this truck is the only vehicle that they’ve ever checked. I thought it was odd. When I went in to get all registered the lady said “let’s go see this truck and make sure it is what you say it is”. I guess I didn’t think anything if it at the time but in hind sight it’s kinda odd. Maybe I had forgotten to write the vin down and she just wanted to go out with me to check it... I dunno...
So did you take her for a ride😁😁😁

I use a DIY tracker that uses a cell network. Takes a bit of work to get running but its way cheaper than a normal tracking service as its basically $10 for 6months with the right service plan.
Amazon product ASIN B07H3XKNLH Is the main board. You need an Arduino nano uno to use this.
I made a special enclosure to house it and I utilize Freeboards open source IOT program to monitor it. All data going through freeboard is exposed and your location data will be completely available to anyone so I also ended up writing a small encryption code.

Glad you found your rig!
Can you share details on this device? I'm very interested in building one or two for myself.

Can you share details on this device? I'm very interested in building one or two for myself.
This page has everything you need. the guy has library's with example code and youtube tutorials. Its a pretty neat thing you can hookup to get live telementery. I use freeboards local opensource software instead of their paid version. Be sure you encrypt your location data as its all avalible to anyone on dweet.io if you go that route

I made a case for mine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom