Stock 2016 LC, My high beams actually suck IMO (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Despite all the positive posts I'm reading about these, mine actually suck and I'm hoping to find out why. I mean - it's actually so bad that the only observable benefit I get out of them is on roads with reflective signs. Only then do I get visibility at greater distances.

If there is no signage etc, they are basically useless. My 2017 4runner had way better high beams...

Going to snap some pics in hopes that there's something obvious I'm overlooking. I searched last night for almost an hour to no avail - any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks

Despite all the positive posts I'm reading about these, mine actually suck and I'm hoping to find out why. I mean - it's actually so bad that the only observable benefit I get out of them is on roads with reflective signs. Only then do I get visibility at greater distances.

If there is no signage etc, they are basically useless. My 2017 4runner had way better high beams...

Going to snap some pics in hopes that there's something obvious I'm overlooking. I searched last night for almost an hour to no avail - any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks

Sounds like they are either pointed too high...or maybe you are looking for a “hot spot” that tended to be viewable with old style lights. My LEDs are WILDLY brighter. But old habits die hard and looking for that crappy little hot spot is deceiving. Crappy old lights spread so poorly, but bc it had a visible blob of light in dim conditions.

If you aren’t in full darkness when judging, LEDs can seem dim because the light spreads so smoothly.

But anyway...check that aim.
Don’t 16+ models have an aiming feature?

Last edited:
Maybe so.. I just took a few pictures, though I think at night, the pattern against a wall would be more telling.

It looks like the driver side high-beam bulb is more of a purple tint compared to the left high-beam.

I have 2016 and high and low beams are better than every other vehicle I have ever owned. I would get them checked out. something must be wrong.

I will check adjustments tonight.. after I read the manual. These 4 squares are not very self explanatory to me, maybe because I don't know which lamps are LED, which are HALogen.

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

What I see with my 18 is that the low beams are so good that turning on the high beam is not as dramatic as in other vehicles. I think both the light output and evenness of the beam pattern is excellent on the 16+.

What I see with my 18 is that the low beams are so good that turning on the high beam is not as dramatic as in other vehicles. I think both the light output and evenness of the beam pattern is excellent on the 16+.

That's how it feels to me on my LC as well. Hardly palatable though. High beams shouldn't have any regard for oncoming traffic, they should be blasting the entire landscape for me to see. If downward aiming low-beams make my high-beams seem impractical, then maybe the lighting system is impractical. More pics..

LvsH_001.png

LvsH_002.png

LvsH_003.png

That's how it feels to me on my LC as well. Hardly palatable though. High beams shouldn't have any regard for oncoming traffic, they should be blasting the entire landscape for me to see. If downward aiming low-beams make my high-beams seem impractical, then maybe the lighting system is impractical. More pics..

View attachment 2081875

View attachment 2081876

View attachment 2081877

For one thing...fog lights turn off in high beam mode (I find that annoying)....so that’s likely part of the loss you perceive.

Your aiming (higher/lower) seems off tho.

Very different results on my 08...both pre and post LED upgrade.

By the way... Did you lock camera exposure value for both shots? iIf not, your camera won’t represent the true brightness difference.

But your lights’ AIM seems off to me. Your high beams should be hitting...higher up. :meh:

Are the high beams halogen? If so that could play part into why you aren't seeing a significant change. Upgrading that bulb to LED if it's not already will get you what you want

For one thing...fog lights turn off in high beam mode (I find that annoying)....so that’s likely part of the loss you perceive.

Your aiming (higher/lower) seems off tho.

Very different results on my 08...both pre and post LED upgrade.

By the way... Did you lock camera exposure value for both shots? iIf not, your camera won’t represent the true brightness difference.

But your lights’ AIM seems off to me. Your high beams should be hitting...higher up. :meh:

Yes I locked the exposure as recommended. I will have a look at adjustments. What replacement bulbs would you recommend if getting the absolute brightest high-beams were the objective?

Thanks again for your help

Are the high beams halogen? If so that could play part into why you aren't seeing a significant change. Upgrading that bulb to LED if it's not already will get you what you want

Do I have to pull them out to check? I plan on giving it a go over the weekend.

Yes I locked the exposure as recommended. I will have a look at adjustments. What replacement bulbs would you recommend if getting the absolute brightest high-beams were the objective?

Thanks again for your help

Since the headlights in the 08 are different...I don’t know the answer for yours specifically. But the 16+ headlights I’ve seen have been really effective. Not sure what’s going on with yours.

One thing you and I would both like to solve is the ability to keep dogs on when brights are on. On the trail...like you say...more scene coverage is great, and I’d love to be able to keep my excellent T13 bumper LED dogs on with brights...

PS. I have LEDs from IPF in mine and they are crazy bright. But I started with 08 standard type bulbs. Yours starts out way brighter...

Last edited:
Do I have to pull them out to check? I plan on giving it a go over the weekend.

Unless someone on here already knows the answer, or you're better than I am at searching you don't have to take them out.
With how easy they are to remove I'd would just take them out to check. you probably don't even have to take them out, can just pop the hood and look at them from the back to tell.

I run CougarMotor LEDs for Lo, Hi, and fog. Found them on amazon for same price as good halogens and they are stupid bright!

PS. I have LEDs from IPF in mine and they are crazy bright. But I started with 08 standard type bulbs. Yours starts out way brighter...

I actually found Phillips 9011 HIR bulbs to be brighter in my high beams. And no bluish color which helps prevent glare in misty conditions.

So - my head light assembly has this plastic cover where all the bulb access would normally be. I removed front the plastic under the hood to see if any quick detach clips were holding it on.. Sadly, it doesn't look like a traditional bulb change (as I've done for the past 25 years).

I'm going to try and find repair manuals etc to see how I am supposed to access the bulbs, if at all.

I fear the bumper cover and entire headlight assembly may need to come out based on what I am seeing..

Edit: I believe this is a 2016+ thing perhaps? Info on this is so scarce. I'll try the toyota part diagrams to see if anything can be learned there..

Just called the stealership and the gentleman in parts was kind enough to candidly inform me that.. in the event of a bulb failure, the expectation is i would replace the entire assembly. Yikes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom