STLCA Nashville Meetings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wooly's off road is a "sanctioned" place to ride, i.e. you pay a per day fee to ride and there are marked trails, and it's a good place to air down the tires and practice wheeling without being too far away from things. We have done Dirt Devil a couple of times, and it's not a bad place to go drive some back roads. I think they have closed off some of it, since it goes through people's property in spots.

@DSLTOY and the bunch have been working very hard on getting a new park opened up at the Cove, and it's not a far drive from Nashville. It is not a day trip, and requires an overnight stay, since we usually have camped on the trails.

Wooly's off road is a "sanctioned" place to ride, i.e. you pay a per day fee to ride and there are marked trails, and it's a good place to air down the tires and practice wheeling without being too far away from things. We have done Dirt Devil a couple of times, and it's not a bad place to go drive some back roads. I think they have closed off some of it, since it goes through people's property in spots.

@DSLTOY and the bunch have been working very hard on getting a new park opened up at the Cove, and it's not a far drive from Nashville. It is not a day trip, and requires an overnight stay, since we usually have camped on the trails.

Thanks bud, appreciate the info. Given the limitations of my stock rig, any suggestions about where to go for some light wheeln'? Is wooly's, Dirt Devil, or some place like Blue Holler up in KY better?

Thanks bud, appreciate the info. Given the limitations of my stock rig, any suggestions about where to go for some light wheeln'? Is wooly's, Dirt Devil, or some place like Blue Holler up in KY better?

There are some guys around that have the Gaia track coordinates for some of the routes they have taken on the Dirt Devil. I can ask around. the Dirt Devil was originally run by some motorcycle guys, and it encompasses a large amount of miles in total. The section we ran was very scenic, and started near Leipers Fork, TN.

Wooly's has some decent trails but also gets pretty gnarly pretty fast. If you have stock tires, you want to go to Wooly's when it is DRY...

Basically, in the Southeast, you need some decent tread on your tires since there is frequently mud on a lot of the trails. Get some good hybrid all terrain, or mud terrain like the BFG KM3 (crossover M/T). Heck, there are a million tire choices these days.

As others have stated, Windrock is our home away from home, and there are literally thousands of acres out there with beautiful trails for all levels of vehicles. It's a great weekend trip.

Just to clarify, because I have talked with the guy and we own one of his maps. The DD is 100% on public roads. However, Hickman County has a lot of unimproved roads which are in that area. Due to folks getting off the public right of ways and damaging private property, the county has made several sections of road private to protect those land owners. And the main road that was closed is not nor was it ever part of the original DD. And a lot of the gaia tracks labeled as DD are not. They are an amalgamation of some DD roads combined with other streets people have explored while in the area.

It is a nice drive and for a stock truck, the dirt roads and numerous creek crossings are great, but stay on the roads and ONLY cross the creeks at designated locations. I saw a guy this week who claimed to be on the DD, but had clearly driven up or down the creek and had stalled out and was stranded... that guy is why public areas get turned private and residents dispise seeing a group of trucks coming. And while I do not care for the guy who sells the DD maps, mostly because it has not been changed in over 20 years and he has created the subculture that passes around tracks under the table, i also know why he does it. Because the locals associate all the unwanted visitors to him. And when folks run the creeks and damage private property and its all done under the DD name, it hurts his reputation. I honestly have thought about running and mapping the whole route exactly per the map and sharing, but I get why he doesn't.

And Joel, sorry I am in no way implying you or any of our guys are at issue, just really needed to make sure it was understood what was going on out there. That creek run became a real issue and it was primarily the heep clubs that ruined it for everyone, but again, they weren't on the DD anyway.

As others have stated, Windrock is our home away from home, and there are literally thousands of acres out there with beautiful trails for all levels of vehicles. It's a great weekend trip.
I've checked it out online and it looks awesome. I plan on booking for the first weekend in May when they're allowed to issue permits again. Thanks for the suggestion.

I found this other thread that was talking about this: Middle Tennessee - Tennessee Dirt Devil Update - IMPORTANT!!

I'm on the TNdirtdevil site. So all I have to do is contact the number there and request a map?

That is one of the places I found the information. I eventually found a press release and also called the county highway department and got confirmation that Tatum creek was closed to public traffic and was turned into a private road. Like I said Tatum creek wasn't even on the DD map, but it had lots of creek crossings and was a really nice ride, but a bunch of folks were running the creek, tearing up banks and damaging private property, so the county closed it.

As far as the map yeah email and PayPal him the $20 or whatever it is now and you will get a very unimpressive large paper map that is not to scale nor does it make a lot of sense, but using Google maps or some other mapping software. You can generally get the right path, though there were a couple times I wasn't sure if we were on the right road or not.

We drove it late last year and we did enjoy it. Just have to keep an eye on the map and make sure you don't miss a turn. You can make a pretty good day of it and the trace is along the eastern edge with liepers fork not too far off, so it can be a fun day trip. Take snacks and lunches cause the pickins are pretty slim on route.

Just to clarify, because I have talked with the guy and we own one of his maps. The DD is 100% on public roads. However, Hickman County has a lot of unimproved roads which are in that area. Due to folks getting off the public right of ways and damaging private property, the county has made several sections of road private to protect those land owners. And the main road that was closed is not nor was it ever part of the original DD. And a lot of the gaia tracks labeled as DD are not. They are an amalgamation of some DD roads combined with other streets people have explored while in the area.

It is a nice drive and for a stock truck, the dirt roads and numerous creek crossings are great, but stay on the roads and ONLY cross the creeks at designated locations. I saw a guy this week who claimed to be on the DD, but had clearly driven up or down the creek and had stalled out and was stranded... that guy is why public areas get turned private and residents dispise seeing a group of trucks coming. And while I do not care for the guy who sells the DD maps, mostly because it has not been changed in over 20 years and he has created the subculture that passes around tracks under the table, i also know why he does it. Because the locals associate all the unwanted visitors to him. And when folks run the creeks and damage private property and its all done under the DD name, it hurts his reputation. I honestly have thought about running and mapping the whole route exactly per the map and sharing, but I get why he doesn't.

And Joel, sorry I am in no way implying you or any of our guys are at issue, just really needed to make sure it was understood what was going on out there. That creek run became a real issue and it was primarily the heep clubs that ruined it for everyone, but again, they weren't on the DD anyway.

Great to know this info, Matthew! It would make sense that the intent of the trail to be for public land use only, and to not intentionally have private property be part of the trail for anyone to drive on.

That said, whatever we ran that day we ran it last it was fun, and it had some creek crossings and cool places to stop for lunch and let the kids get out and throw some rocks in the creek!

It would be nice to have a place that people in middle Tennessee you can go as a group for simple club outings just to get to know folks and get the tires dirty.

I did some digging... apparently there isn't much going on in Kingston Springs. Have you ever heard of or gone to DirtDevil trail? Tennessee Dirt Devil Off road Adventure Trail

There's also Wheelin' In The Country (WITC) Wheelin' In The Country - About Us

and

Wooly's Off Road, FB link: Wooly's Off Road or their web site, which is sparse: Wooly's Off Road Club

Looks like Wooly's is open this weekend too!

I have heard of the Dirt Devil trail as well as WITC but not Wooly's. The two off-road parks look more like rock-crawler, mudding types of places, based on most of the posted pictures. I don't think I'm up for that just yet. I need some sliders at a minimum before I get into that I think. However, the DDAT looks like it could be fun and relatively mild for the most part.

I have heard of the Dirt Devil trail as well as WITC but not Wooly's. The two off-road parks look more like rock-crawler, mudding types of places, based on most of the posted pictures. I don't think I'm up for that just yet. I need some slides at a minimum before I get into that I think. However, the DDAT looks like it could be fun and relatively mild for the most part.

Yeah, man. Based on the amount of rain we have had in the last couple of days, it will be muddy out there at Wooly's off road, even though it is going to be nice for the next few days. It still is a fun little place, and wouldn't be a bad daytime weekend outing for some locals... They used to cook burgers and have them for sale, but the Covid-19 may have shut that down?

Dirt Devil would be fun also. anyone have authentic tracks? I have a Gaia GPS track from the last time we went out there a couple of years ago... Not sure if it is "real"... LOL

However, the DDAT looks like it could be fun and relatively mild for the most part.

I thought the same thing when I looked at them. Another member suggestedhttps://windrockpark.com/

Thinking about heading out there this weekend Friday/Saturday, weather permitting.

@Tennessee80 if it survived, we have a copy of the paper map. I need to track it in Gaia sometime to make sure it is not lost since the paper map was almost destroyed after the first trip out.

I thought the same thing when I looked at them. Another member suggestedhttps://windrockpark.com/

Thinking about heading out there this weekend Friday/Saturday, weather permitting.

I haven't talked to the boss (wife) yet but I could probably do a day trip on Saturday if anyone else wants to try a group thing. I don't have a winch but I do have a nice recovery strap and hitch receiver recovery point as well as a strong back and good shovel in case it gets too crazy for us newbies.

I haven't talked to the boss (wife) yet but I could probably do a day trip on Saturday if anyone else wants to try a group thing. I don't have a winch but I do have a nice recovery strap and hitch receiver recovery point as well as a strong back and good shovel in case it gets too crazy for us newbies.

Maybe we should head out there, for research and to make sure you get the track........

so we could possibly do a few hour Dirt Devil ride Saturday? Last time we met up and started at the infamous Pucketts in downtown Leipers Fork... who knows, we may even see the Judds?! LOL

so we could possibly do a few hour Dirt Devil ride Saturday? Last time we met up and started at the infamous Pucketts in downtown Leipers Fork... who knows, we may even see the Judds?! LOL
Ok, I got the go-ahead from the boss and I'm in for Saturday if anyone else is. Good to go to meet at Pucketts as well.

Whoever wants to go text me at:

615-512-3106

the weather is going to be perfect. Maybe meet at 10:00 am? Bring your 2 meter radios if you want to communicate

Whoever wants to go text me at:

615-512-3106

the weather is going to be perfect. Maybe meet at 10:00 am? Bring your 2 meter radios if you want to communicate

Truck is in the shop getting the timing belt and water pump changed. I’ll confirm tomorrow.
No radio yet. Any suggestions on where to look?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom