Stereo Install Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After following a dozen threads on replacing the stock HU on my 1997 LC, I took the plunge this week. I dropped a Kenwood DX373 head unit and replaced the rear speakers with the infamous pioneers everyone raves about on the forum. I'm going to do the front speakers once I find my courage to rip off door panels. I've never done anything like this and I find it a bit intimidating...Anyway, everything went pretty well so far. The harness from Crutchfield was a snap to connect everything. The bluetooth phone and mic works great. The iPod/iPhone connection...solid. Now for the problem.

When I tried the balancer to test the speakers I discovered the right channel both front and rear is dead. I removed the HU again and reconnected the factory unit. Same. However, when I move the rear door back and forth a bit I can hear some crackle in the speaker and sound pops in and out. This tells me I have the speaker wired correctly, but there's something amiss. I don't know a lot about this stuff. In fact, my wife was horrified when she saw me pulling the dash out to install the HU. I know there's a factory amp behind the glove box. Is that a possible source of failure? I can use some help from the community here! Thanks in advance for any thoughts and ideas.

Sorry I don't think I can help, but one of reasons I'm installing a Kenwood DDX393 is because I lost the sound from the right side (front and back) along with my console speaker (LX450). Did you get the harness that integrates the factory amp? A lot of people bypass the factory amp, and if you do that I think there is a different adapter harness. I plan on using the factory amp, and got this adapter harness. Hopefully, I can attack the install on mine today.

image.jpeg

I don't have the packaging anymore Canman, but that appears to be the identical harness I used. The kind people at Crutchfield even sent me a new harness in the event I have a bad one. I'm not looking forward to redoing that! I did not bypass the factory amp which is why I'm posting here to see if others have similar problems. My HU install was pretty easy. LMK how it goes and if you gained your right channels.

What color plug on the cruiser did you plug the harness into?

Were the right side speakers working before? Pull the HU and plug in the factory radio and see if they are working (don't have to bolt it up, just set it in place). Its always a possibility that the wires have gone bad at the pivot point of the door.

@darknes I hooked into the large white harness. There are three back there from what I can see.

Were the right side speakers working before? Pull the HU and plug in the factory radio and see if they are working (don't have to bolt it up, just set it in place). Its always a possibility that the wires have gone bad at the pivot point of the door.

I did that...still no go from factory and new HU.

I just replaced mine a few months back. The adapter Crutchfield sent me was a two plug adapter that plugged in to two different connectors behind the old head unit (it didn't use the one I unplugged from the OEM unit). I believe this is the one that bypasses the factory amp and my system works great.

So if they aren't working with the factory HU and they were working before it sounds like you need to go down stream from the HU. Its not un common for the wires to become brittle and break where they pivot between the door and body. Pull the kick panel and door panel off and inspect the wires.

I just replaced mine a few months back. The adapter Crutchfield sent me was a two plug adapter that plugged in to two different connectors behind the old head unit (it didn't use the one I unplugged from the OEM unit). I believe this is the one that bypasses the factory amp and my system works great.
^THIS^

I also unplugged the "subwoofer" in the back. It was giving feedback to the rear door speakers.

I'd use an ohmmeter between the harness behind the head unit and the back speaker terminals. That would enable you to confirm a wiring issue without taking off your front door card. The YouTube channel "Texas KnowHow" did a good job showing that front door panel removal procedure in his three part FZJ80 stereo/speaker install video. It's no big deal... just try to pry right at the connectors and don't ask the old cardboard to pull them out.

@darknes I hooked into the large white harness. There are three back there from what I can see.

Ok. You are not bypassing the factory amp. Just making sure.

It sounds like your problem is almost certainly a broken wire in feeding the righthand speakers. However, it's odd that it affects both the front and rear speaker since they are separate wires. When you move the door and the speaker crackles, do both the front and rear speakers crackle, or just the rear?

image.png

Ok. You are not bypassing the factory amp. Just making sure.

It sounds like your problem is almost certainly a broken wire in feeding the righthand speakers. However, it's odd that it affects both the front and rear speaker since they are separate wires. When you move the door and the speaker crackles, do both the front and rear speakers crackle, or just the rear?

View attachment 1283869
Just the rear. I can't get anything out of the front speaker. Oddly I could only get the rear to make noise with the factory HU, not the new one.

This is the harness they sent with my unit. Just make sure you have those two (extra) connectors behind your stereo before you order this.

Vehicle-specific Wiring Harnesses at Crutchfield.com
That harness looks identical to the one I installed. There were three harness adapters behind the factory unit. This one appears to attach to the same harness the factory harness attached to that I used. The other two are much smaller.

Just the rear. I can't get anything out of the front speaker. Oddly I could only get the rear to make noise with the factory HU, not the new one.
I wonder if I should be bypassing the factory amp? Is there a different harness to use if yes?

I'd use an ohmmeter between the harness behind the head unit and the back speaker terminals. That would enable you to confirm a wiring issue without taking off your front door card. The YouTube channel "Texas KnowHow" did a good job showing that front door panel removal procedure in his three part FZJ80 stereo/speaker install video. It's no big deal... just try to pry right at the connectors and don't ask the old cardboard to pull them out.
Those Texas Know How videos are fantastic. Gave me the confidence I needed to dive into this. Thanks for the support!

^THIS^

I also unplugged the "subwoofer" in the back. It was giving feedback to the rear door speakers.
Z it looks like the adapter link you sent me is the same I used. The photo only shows one harness link. Did yours have two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom