Steering wheel wobble - transfer case or actuator motor failure? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seeking help diagnosing an issue that has sidelined my truck. The problem only presents after the truck has been driven for a while. Problem does not arise during brief drives / short distances. There is no pattern to when it does happen -could show up after driving for 15 miles or 50, highway or secondary roads. When the problem shows up, the steering wheel has a low frequency vibration. Tires, wheels, steering all check out fine. Thought it might be sticking caliper but those have been checked and lubed. IF it was a CV / axle I would expect it to be shaking all the time, not only after it warms up. Tried driving after disconnecting front prop shaft and problem went away. Definitely in center /front drivetrain. I'm thinking it might be diff lock actuator or transfer case -does that make sense? I had thought the transfer cases on these were bulletproof. I have a video but don't know how to include it in post. Thankful for any guidance on tracking this down. This is a 2006 LX 470 with 110,000 miles

You can check for play between CV and Hub Flange as a more common problem based on what you said so far. I wouldn't condemn anything in the diff / transfer case yet.
>> Can look underneath and have someone stand on the brakes while shifting between park / drive and see if the cv has play in it
>> This problem is usually more related to a driveline clunk, but idk it's probably worth checking.

So your symptom is just a slight wheel vibration.... sometimes?

Otherwise if everything in the front end is tight and checks out but you have some steering wheel vibrations I usually just relate that to uneven tire wear / pressure / balance.

Possibly it's a missing/broken c-clips on the front outer axle shafts.

I wouldn't call it a vibration, more of a shake or wobble. I will pop the dust caps off to check the hubs to check the c-clips Here's a video of what it looks like. steering wobble

I wouldn't call it a vibration, more of a shake or wobble. I will pop the dust caps off to check the hubs to check the c-clips Here's a video of what it looks like. steering wobble
This looks to be a steering system issue, but entire front end needs to be inspected.

@cruisermaine I just review your video. This is similar to @pili issue. Although his at first was a very violent jerk to right, than release feel as if steering wheel disconnects (no control) from rack, than repeat rapidly. Now @pili 's is more like what you have, but not as pronounced. We now know his actuator had not be engaged (at all or most of the time) for past 2 years.

You may just need a proper calibration. "Current thinking" is, disconnecting the VGRS actuator should stop the "wobble", if only a calibration issue.

Check to see if your VGRS is engaging. Note, VGRS ECU will shut down actuator without VGRS light on, under certain condition as a fail safe. One of which is high temperature of actuator.
First when cold, than as the event happens after warm up drive stop and check again. Do this test a few times.
Start engine and let ideal, while in park, turn your steering wheel all the way toward one side until it stops (lock), than turn all the way to other direction (lock).
Lock to lock, VGRS engaged - 2.4 turns.
Lock to lock, VGRS not engaged - 3 plus turns.

Some ??
Any modification to your 06LX, form factory configuration?
Is the factory rack & pinion still in or is it a replacement (which rack & pinion do you have)?
Has steering snap ring recall been done?
Is slow speed steering, a bit hard, cumbersome or very easy, compared to other 03-up LX?
What fluid is in PS reservoir, how old and what is the level currently?
Is the steering rack, its lines, pump leak or any been replaced?

Last edited:
@cruisermaine I post some of above post from your thread in link below. As we may be dealing with a same or similar issues.

@2001LC thanks for your thoughts on this. I bought the truck several years ago and did not get anything on maintenance history. I have not replaced any steering system components. I have not replaced the fluid as yet. Front suspension has been gone over and there are no issues there. There are no leaks from the truck. I haven’t driven other ‘03 + LX’s so no idea on comparison. My truck is completely stock - no mods. Will check lock to lock turns as described and report back.

@2001LC thanks for your thoughts on this. I bought the truck several years ago and did not get anything on maintenance history. I have not replaced any steering system components. I have not replaced the fluid as yet. Front suspension has been gone over and there are no issues there. There are no leaks from the truck. I haven’t driven other ‘03 + LX’s so no idea on comparison. My truck is completely stock - no mods. Will check lock to lock turns as described and report back.
Consider posting in @pili thread.

following up on this issue. Ii's been a little while but I have been busy with several projects including building a cabin and landscaping at my house. Problem has been solved. The two things I did were to replace the activation motor in the transfer case and a transmission relay. Both were replaced at the same time so I don't know for sure which was the problem.

following up on this issue. Ii's been a little while but I have been busy with several projects including building a cabin and landscaping at my house. Problem has been solved. The two things I did were to replace the activation motor in the transfer case and a transmission relay. Both were replaced at the same time so I don't know for sure which was the problem.
I'm having a hard time thinking through, how TC or AT could cause steering to behave as yours.

What even made you think to replace these parts?

I'm having a hard time thinking through, how TC or AT could cause steering to behave as yours.

What even made you think to replace these parts?
My mechanic went over braking and steering systems first. When these checked out he suspected the transfer case or center diff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom