Steering Gear Box Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Three years ago, I replaced my very leaky, original 1996 steering gear box with a reconditioned OEM replacement. Professionally installed. Cost me about $900 for parts & labor, but no more leaks. Everything was fine, until a few weeks ago when I had a 2.5" OME lift kit installed, along with 35" tires. Looks great, drives great. No vibrating at speed. No rub. All good. But since the lift & tire install, the gear box has been leaking like crazy. 1/2 quart a week! It's ridiculous. Even with the fresh alignment and tires balanced, I'm sure the bigger tires are creating more strain on the box. But, 1/2 quart a week seems excessive. And it didn't leak before I had the lift installed. Before I take it back to the shop and ask for help/blame them, I thought I'd see what you guys have to say. I've tried turning that nut. No luck. If I can back it off, is there maybe some kind of thread seal I could put on there, before I snug it back down?
IMG_4878.jpg
IMG_4877.jpg
IMG_4876.jpg

What Summit Cruisers said.....
You should clean clean clean first.
I'd use brake cleaner, electric motor cleaner, or electric contact cleaner.
Whatever it takes to get it all clean and dry.
Your leak could be from the fluid resiviour to pump supply hose or the high pressure hose.
Anyway clean and operate the power steering whilst looking closely for the leak.

Many people have used the Gates brand hose with long term success.
If you replace that line follow the proper bleeding procedure from the fsm.
That is jack the front wheels up. With the truck not running turn the wheels from wheel stop to stop many times and keep filling to the full mark. Then turn stop to stop some more. That bleeds the air.
Then fire that pig up and see if it whines or not. If it groans or whines it still has air in the system.
Rinse repeat till it's bled.
There are write ups for that but that's the short one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom