Steering Column - Main Steering Shaft - Shaft Snap Ring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MemphisTLC

2005 Toyota Land Cruiser
SILVER Star
Threads
I was reading through the MilkmanVX’s post on Steering Shutter and hopefully found one of the issues potentially causing my harsh steering. Here is a link to the referenced thread:

After reading through the 4th post on that thread I checked to see if a loose main steering shaft locking clip (Shaft Snap Ring - Toyota Part Number - 9090520003) could be causing some of my issues. Here are a few pictures of my lower main steering shaft assembly:

0C8717C5-B50D-4640-A76E-5323BC4898DC.jpeg

DB370B11-80B0-417D-A580-53C0BD4B740F.jpeg

1403682C-D240-447F-8E64-50E45E103A18.jpeg

Sure enough my locking clip has slipped out of the groove and somehow got wedged between the lower bracket and thrust stopper. A couple of observations/questions here….

Is the locking clip sitting backwards (based on the angle of “teeth”) on the thrust stopper?

Can I loosen the lower bracket and try to get the existing locking clip up the shaft?

Do the bearings look normal…are they in good working order?

If the bearings are in good working order and I can get the locking clip up the shaft do I just straighten the flange and locking clip teeth, insert the locking clip and rebend the flange to retain the clip?

Is this amount of grease normal?

My gut feel is someone attempted to fix the steering issue and forgot the lock ring sitting on thrust stopper. After tightening everything up and realizing their mistake they stuffed a bunch of grease into the bearing and bent the housing over to more or less try to replicate the job the locking clip is suppose to do.

Total rookie when it comes to wrenching…thanks for your insight and time in advance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom