Starter wiring help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I may have gotten a bit over my head swapping a motor for my son's FJ40. The PO said this would all be an easy swap. I can't for the life of me figure out where these wires all go (are they hooked up right?). The Black with yellow stripe is disconnected and just hanging there.... Don't know where it goes....... Any help would be appreciated. He just turned 16 and is itching to drive this tank.

IMG_0206.jpg

The Large Black Yellow wire is from the switch and should go where you have put the thin Black White wire. The thin Black wire connects to that green wire.

Where does the white wire come from?

The Large Black Yellow wire is from the switch and should go where you have put the thin Black White wire. The thin Black wire connects to that green wire.

Where does the white wire come from?

Looks like the fat white wire runs to the amp gauge.

What yr 40 is this?(might make a difference in the wiring colors)
It appears to be an OEM starter and not a GR starter--correct?
77 wiring--may not be the same for yours--The black w/yellow strip comes from coil pos. The big white w/blue stripe goes to ground-

Heater elec diagram.jpg

Last edited:
No no no !
White/Black is ground! If you connect a white/blue wire to ground you will have an INSTANT and spectacular harness fire! Especially if you do not have a fusible link installed!

The starter as shown is hooked up correctly IF the wire connected to the S spade terminal on the starter is Black/WHITE. It's hard to tell the color in that pic. However, since there is only three wires coming out of the harness, I'm pretty sure it is Black/White.

The large Black/Yellow wire (depending on what year this is) goes to either the igniter, the ballast resistor, or straight to the coil + terminal.

The green wire on the starter is for the ballast resistor which you do not seem to have. If you did there would be TWO Black/White wires, a small gauge BW wire which would connect to the green wire on the starter, and a larger gauge BW wire which connects to the S spade terminal.

Guess we really need to know a year here. My 78 uses the thicker Black wire for the starter and the thin one is the bypass, mine has a resistor wire in the harness.

Does it start?

That white wire should have a fusible link correct? white wire connects right to my battery +.

Pics of your coil and battery maybe.

Last edited:
On the older trucks that white wire goes FROM the starter stud to the AMP meter, through the Amp Meter then to the alternator B+. After 9/71 Toyota started running the white wire out to near the battery and added the fusible link between the wire and the battery +. So the path is actually battery +, fusible link then the Amp meter, through the Amp Meter then to the alternator B+. Whatever year it is it's older than 9/71.

well then there we have it. thanks coolerman.

This is a 1970 and it has not been started since engine install. But the wiring is a rats nest. Is there an affordable wiring harness available? I will load a few pix this weekend of the alternator/battery/coil. Thanks for the help.

This is a 1970 and it has not been started since engine install. But the wiring is a rats nest. Is there an affordable wiring harness available? I will load a few pix this weekend of the alternator/battery/coil. Thanks for the help.
If I had the coin I would spring for a new harness from @Coolerman and then breathe easy for the next 45 years.

The black/white wire runs from ignition (ig) and the black/yellow runs to ignition (st). Coil negative runs to distributor. Coil positive runs to battery. Coil positive also has a wire to tac.

No no no !
White/Black is ground! If you connect a white/blue wire to ground you will have an INSTANT and spectacular harness fire! Especially if you do not have a fusible link installed!

The starter as shown is hooked up correctly IF the wire connected to the S spade terminal on the starter is Black/WHITE. It's hard to tell the color in that pic. However, since there is only three wires coming out of the harness, I'm pretty sure it is Black/White.

The large Black/Yellow wire (depending on what year this is) goes to either the igniter, the ballast resistor, or straight to the coil + terminal.

The green wire on the starter is for the ballast resistor which you do not seem to have. If you did there would be TWO Black/White wires, a small gauge BW wire which would connect to the green wire on the starter, and a larger gauge BW wire which connects to the S spade terminal.
My bad!!! I was only going by the FSM wiring diagram(WL--white w/light blue shows going to ground--but I think I missed the labels a little--that's the wire coming in to the alt )--my mind went blank for a while--I know all Whitewblack srtipes are ground and that wire certainly isn't one of them---fortunately, there are folks like Coolerman who can negate a newbie mistake like this--thank you sir, and I appologize for the misinformation.

I believe the engine/tranny/ starter are out of a 78. I attempted to swap the old 70 starter but it just grinds. I'm thinking the 78 starter may be bad?

I believe the engine/tranny/ starter are out of a 78. I attempted to swap the old 70 starter but it just grinds. I'm thinking the 78 starter may be bad?

Does it crank at all? or just a click?

Do you have the coil+ from the battery for testing purpose?

Last edited:
Just replaced my starter with a gear reduction starter this past Saturday on my '78. How you show yours connected is how I connected my new starter. With the old one I also had that Black Yellow wire that you show in the picture connected to the green wire on the starter.

It did crank somewhat slowly for a while then just stopped. The coil+ to battery connection was referenced in another thread. I gotta get back in there and make sure the engine didn't seize. ;(

You can manually turn the engine a couple ways, Using the a wrench on the alternator and pressure on the belt, or jack up back wheel stick it in 4th and turn.

If the starter is pooched, no harm in giving it a little tap.

You can manually turn the engine a couple ways, Using the a wrench on the alternator and pressure on the belt, or jack up back wheel stick it in 4th and turn.

If the starter is pooched, no harm in giving it a little tap.

I like jacking up the back wheel technique. It's a bit hard to get to the crankshaft pulley. I'll see what happens.......

It did crank somewhat slowly for a while then just stopped. The coil+ to battery connection was referenced in another thread. I gotta get back in there and make sure the engine didn't seize. ;(

So... are you saying the starter doesn't turn over?

Do you have an indication that you are getting power when you turn the key?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom