Starter Quandry (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 95 FZJ80.

I've had increasing starter woes for a little while now. I took it apart, cleaned it out, ground the contacts down, and reassembled. It will work well for a few starts, then went back to it's typical behavior: engaging the flywheel for a moment, grinding, then just spinning freely. I kept thinking that it was an electrical issue, as the starter acted normally when bench tested on my battery charger. I then bench tested it while hooked up to the in-car electronics and it acts fine. Once it's bolted in, it still only engages for a moment, then grinds, then just spins freely. Any ideas? I took some video that I'll try and attach.

Last edited:
From what I could see of the flywheel, it looked fine (through the mounting hole). I expect that if the flywheel was somehow pushing the starter pinion back into the resting position, that the flywheel would stop moving near that (damaged) location.

Any easier way to do a flywheel inspection other then removing the plugs and slowly cranking it around with a wrench from the fan (or something similar)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom