Standing up for the Old Trucks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
medusa.ih8mud.com
I finally got completely fed up with those folks who cut up an FJ40 body and claim by such butchery to convert the 40 into an FJ45 :mad:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/585996-fj40-converted-fj45.html

Probably did not make myself too popular, but felt like someone needs to stop this dishonesty. If you all value your true FJ45's, your support will be appreciated

Last edited:
Humm, :confused: I don't understand why this is a concern. It seems to me that there is a higher demand for a land cruiser pickup than there are 'natural pickup' rigs to go around. Therefore, people are wanting to make one themselves.

If someone were to try to pass off a homegrown creation as a natural FJ45 to someone else not knowledgeable of what a FJ45 really is, then that would be a concern, but not for what was done to the vehicle.

I personally have hacked up a real FJ45 and therefore I would think that there might be more concern with those that do the same vs. those that make their own creation and call it a 45.

If someone were to really try to pass (sell, deceive) a custom creation as a real fj45 then there are more than a few folks on this BB that would quickly point it out. In fact, even real FJ45s with incorrect FJ45 parts for the year of the vehicle are quickly pointed out on this forum, especially when its a rig for sale or just purchased.

I do not plan to ever sell my 45, but if the time comes that I decide to sell, I will call it an FJ45 in the ad although there will not be a lot of stock or unmolested FJ45 parts left on it. However, I will be forthcoming with what has been modified if seller wants to know. Do you think that this is dishonest?

Last edited:
In fact, even real FJ45s with incorrect FJ45 parts for the year of the vehicle are quickly pointed out on this forum, especially when its a rig for sale or just purchased.

Do you think that this is dishonest?

Yea, like someone who would buy a repro tailgate instead of fixing the original. :flipoff2:

You mean like this one I sliced up and welded back together? :p
tailgate3[1].JPG

Mike, you can sell me yours anytime and call whatever you want. Just put me first in line even with a spliced tailgate, (that is friggin awesome) as usual.

Check out my 45:D
DSCF1273.jpg
DSCF1269.jpg

now hold on, you should call that a 35, since its slightly less than a 40. :D

I finally got completely fed up with those folks who cut up an FJ40 body and claim by such butchery to convert the 40 into an FJ45 :mad:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/585996-fj40-converted-fj45.html

Probably did not make myself too popular, but felt like someone needs to stop this dishonesty. If you all value your true FJ45's, your support will be appreciated

deal with it.. it seems to get done all the time now adays. I did mine over 10 years ago and dont regret it for a minute... i would rather see a rusty tubbed fj40 get turned into a 45 any day over someone taking an original 45 and swapping non toyota drivetrain components into it and still feeling like they have an "original" 45..

fj-rankenstein said:
deal with it.. it seems to get done all the time now adays. I did mine over 10 years ago and dont regret it for a minute... i would rather see a rusty tubbed fj40 get turned into a 45 any day over someone taking an original 45 and swapping non toyota drivetrain components into it and still feeling like they have an "original" 45..

Sounds like you need to take your own advice and deal with it. People have been replacing the engines on 40 and 45 since the 60s. You could even buy a brand new one like that. Still can if you consider an icon to be a brand new vehicle.

I have all Toyota drivetrain parts in my LV and it's no more original than my csb swb. Neither is any less cool than a 3 speed 1F. Land cruisers are about function over form. What works best is what is the best. Otherwise you could just buy an Alfa.

As for the op

The linked post guy wants to make a 45 replica from an old 40. That's not bad in the least. Better than cutting up a 45. He's not diminishing the value of anything and even so who cares? There are thousands of 40s out there. Lots of them not ever going to be restored to original. If he can't turn one into a pick up, who are we to trash one of the trail or modify it until is barely looks like what it was?. The op's rig is cool and nowhere near stock. He is no one to throw stones.

I would much rather see someone cut down a 40 than stretch a 45 as the OP has done. OTOH, I don't care what you do, especially if the truck has already been modified. It's sad to see the guy who cut up a good LV to put it on a Tundra frame, but not so much to see Rod Millin cut up two good LVs to put on a 100 frame.

These were work trucks made in large numbers. They are not 340MM Ferraris.

Last edited:
If your really worried about the value of your old FJ45 you need to get a ban on all 45/47 imports. Seeing more of those than 40s being converted in a 45s. Just because Toyota imported a low number of 45s here and stopped imported them in 67 doesn't make them rare. It is a much smaller world because of the internet. These are being bought off the internet all the time and shipped here.

Wow, you really want that "A-hole" reputation

I'll build whatever the hell I want and I'll spend my money as I see fit.

I love how you ran over here to build a following since everyone called you out in the 40 section.

I just finished the hard top for mine. Everyone calls it a xtra cab 45, i call it an 45.5 :D:D At least i have leg room, doh.
20120421_03.jpg

Last edited:
I save a fj40 and a Stout to make my fj45 and i'm realy proud ! No more fj45 in Quebec they are RIP ( rust in peaces ) So it was easyer to built one then found one .

photosatrier2011330.jpg

Nice bed...lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom