St Anthony Sand Dunes May 2020 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
backcountryadventuretime.com
NOT AN OFFICIALLY ENDORSED TRIP, JUST A GROUP OF FRIENDS, JOIN AT YOUR OWN RISK AND LIABILITY :)

Trip scheduled for June 5-7.

I will be making this trip. This will be a great opportunity to practice 4x4 social distancing.

Starting this thread to get the ball rolling on this trip. Usually this is the start of the official wheelin' season.

This will be the fifth time to the dunes. This is one of the most fun you can have in your 4x4. I HIGHLY suggest making the trip if you can. Bucket list trip. You will not be disappointed. All skill levels and all 4x4 vehicles can do this trip. You can go crazy or keep it relatively easy. Stock vehicles with normal tires generally do fine, better then mud terrains.

I will keep this first page updated as I learn more, and as the situation progresses

The usual plan is that a group will leave Friday night and camp out. I have the coordinates for the nice secluded camp spot that can easily accommodate up to ten vehicles. Please someone bring firewood so were not burning sage brush. ;) Saturday is a full day of wheeling. We start just outside the Sand Hills Resort at 8. We will all air down and have a quick drivers meeting and then proceed to head into the dunes and hopefully make the lake and have lunch. Good chance for newbies to get a feel for driving on the sand. After lunch we will head into the bigger stuff and explore the back corners and find the really cool stuff. Then those who choose can take the shortcut back to the country road, or head back the way we came. I usually take the shortcut and head back to make dinner and camp out Saturday night in the same spot as Friday night. Head back to Bozeman Sunday morning. Some will want to hit the dunes Sunday if they choose.

A few quick links to some useful information about the dunes
St. Anthony Sand Dunes | BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT
St Anthony Sand Dunes Idaho Information Rexburg Motorsports & GearHead Rexburg, ID (877) 745-3617

The address for the campground. Sand Hills Resort 865 Red Rd, St Anthony, ID 83445.

Some Safety Requirements and Other Need To Know Info
  • Everyone is required to have a flag that is at least 8 feet above the ground on their rig. These can be found for around 10 dollars locally. Most flags mount using a 1/2 inch bolt
  • A functioning CB of some sort, whether handheld or dash mount, is a necessity. They will be crucial in communicating with each other and coordinating so no one runs into each other or gets hurt.
  • Tie your stuff down! if you don't things will be flying around which is not only dangerous but just plain annoying. If you have a cargo box system, secure it and keep things in the drawers, if you don't backpacks or duffle bags work well for keeping things together and making them easier to tie down.
  • Ensure your cooling system is functioning well and doesn't have any issues. Driving up and down the dunes will put a lot of stress on the coiling system especially your transmission cooler for those with automatics.
  • Keep in mind we are a long ways from home and in an area where recoveries will not necessarily be easy, so bring your recovery gear and any spare parts you see fit.
  • Coast to a stop on sand, slamming on brakes digs you down. Gas pedal is your friend, try and keep your momentum going. Try and keep the nose pointed down the hill. When stopping try not to pull right behind anyone, keep a safe distance between you and they guy in front of you.
  • And most importantly, have fun and be prepared to get sand in places you didn't know it could get!

CB channel 4 and HAM 146.460 will be used for coms.

Please reply if you plan on joining so we don't have anyone left behind or lost - will update with convoy locations and meet up times.
No cap on this one. We've had 15 people show up in the past.
Attending:

Friday afternoon: Leave from 4corners @ 6
@TommyGuns
@Saul Abel
@Rambo Penguin
@90WT
@ttFJC
@3GT4R

Saturday morning: The Saturday morning crew will meet at 6am at Mama Mac's and depart soon after so let @4gotalot know.
@4gotalot
@Boondocker_153

Maybe:

DSC_0047.JPG
DSC_0289.JPG
DSC_1093.JPG
DSC_0189.JPG

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:
Activities portrayed in this thread may be inherently dangerous. Anyone who attempts to recreate such activities should do so at their own risk.

Last edited:
I'm all in as long as they lift the 14 day quarantine crap, not that anyone would know...LOL. The dunes are awesome, I tend to get a little out of control. I would love to get further back where the BIG stuff is, I have been there 3 times and have never been ....

Picture: what NOT to do @ the dunes, left front tire was not on the ground.
Attach28771_20180603_133853 (2).jpg

I will be doing the usual thing about leaving Saturday morning from Mama Macs. Call in your lunch order for a 6:00 pick up then we depart by 6:15.
Potty break in West, more coffee, fuel top off in ST. Anthonys and then meet the Friday depart/campers at 9-9:30.

Edit: Call in your order for cold lunch the day before and tell them its for a 6:00 am pick up.

I just got off the phone with one of the motor sport shops and they have not been told that the feds have restricted the BLM land. Idaho is lowering there curtain at the end of the month, our Montana governor is still thinking about the question.

Last edited:
I'm all in as long as they lift the 14 day quarantine crap, not that anyone would know...LOL. The dunes are awesome, I tend to get a little out of control. I would love to get further back where the BIG stuff is, I have been there 3 times and have never been ....

Picture: what NOT to do @ the dunes, left front tire was not on the ground.
View attachment 2281861
my understand of the guidelines that this only applies if you are in contact with people outside of your travel group in the state. So i guess just dont go into the gas station while in ID. But again, what they dont know wont hurt em. and these guidelines are expected to change

thanks for the update
I will be doing the usual thing about leaving Saturday morning from Mama Macs. Call in your lunch order for a 6:00 pick up then we depart by 6:15.
Potty break in West, more coffee, fuel top off in ST. Anthonys and then meet the Friday depart/campers at 9-9:30.

I just got off the phone with one of the motor sport shops and they have not been told that the feds have restricted the BLM land. Idaho is lowering there curtain at the end of the month, our Montana governor is still thinking about the question.

@Squeegee sand dunes trip in may perhaps? let's get chris on board

I ran into Rover Chris at Walmart last week and tried to talk him into going. He did not sound to interested and he had never been there before either. So someone else hit him up to get him to go too! :deadhorse:

I ran into Rover Chris at Walmart last week and tried to talk him into going. He did not sound to interested and he had never been there before either. So someone else hit him up to get him to go too! :deadhorse:
different chris but still a rever

I kinda wondered about that.

Last edited:
This just in from Governor Bullock. Still need to look into ID. "phase one" into effect Monday April 27th, 2020

"OUTDOOR RECREATION can become operational if sites adhere to strict physical distancing between groups and exercise frequent sanitation protocols if public facilities are open. "

Saturday May 2 is the date that is on the 406cruiser calendar so I put dibs/PTO for that Saturday. I also will most likely have the next Saturday the 9th off because I am betting Hunters Ed will be canceled.

If the date changes, let me know asap and I will try to nab another day.

Saturday May 2 is the date that is on the 406cruiser calendar so I put dibs/PTO for that Saturday. I also will most likely have the next Saturday the 9th off because I am betting Hunters Ed will be canceled.

If the date changes, let me know asap and I will try to nab another day.
This trip has no affiliation with the "club" just friends going for a drive.

I am leaning twords Friday May 8-10. With so many unknowns that's weekend that @Rambo Penguin had talked about going. And this would give everyone a little more notice. I was kinda waiting until the weekend to figure it out since i haven't had a chance to look into the ID guidelines/news etc. regarding DA RONA

I could likely do the 8-10 but not the week before. Looking forward to more info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom