Squirrel patrol non-lethal weaponry options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last year I spent over $1,000 getting my house repaired from squirrel damage. One of the squirrels is back nibbling on our bird feeder. my BB gun has not up to the job anymore and I am thinking of an airsoft gun with a high rate of fire that would be non-lethal. What would you guys recommend I have got a awesome field of view into the Backwoods and just need something to have a little fun chasing the squirrels away. Thoughts?

Last summer our neighbor decided that he is going to trap the squirrels in his back yard and release them at his office a few miles away. Last I heard, he's relocated 57 of them…

I really doubt that scaring off (or trapping, or even killing) squirrels is going to make any difference for you (or him).

I have traps I just don't have time

The squirrels here are terrible. They ate our cable box at the pole, they chewed though our neutral wire causing most of the electronics inside the house to die. They got into our attic a few years ago prompting us to get a new roof. My wife hates them because they get in the "squirrel resistant" birdfeeder.

Enter the Squirrelinator:

I have used the Squirrelinator for a couple of weeks and we are up to 12. It has made a noticeable dent in the number we see in the back yard. It doesn't kill the squirrels but it comes with a drowning pan to kill them with, so your choice whether it's lethal or not.

Last year I spent over $1,000 getting my house repaired from squirrel damage. One of the squirrels is back nibbling on our bird feeder. my BB gun has not up to the job anymore and I am thinking of an airsoft gun with a high rate of fire that would be non-lethal. What would you guys recommend I have got a awesome field of view into the Backwoods and just need something to have a little fun chasing the squirrels away. Thoughts?

Just my opinion, but chasing them away is not going to do anything - they'll just come back when you're not there. Killing them is the only way to put dent in the local population and your problem. Moving them somewhere else just gives someone else the same problems. They're varmints and a nuisance.

I use the dunk tank method for pack rats.
dunk tank.jpg

Record was 70 in 4 months.

I use the dunk tank method for pack rats.View attachment 1689166

Record was 70 in 4 months.

And so the question that crosses my mind is what confessions did you get out of your squirrels....where is your leader? What secret tunnels are you using, do you realize you are not obligated by the Geneva Convention? What are your hit and run tactics?. I envision something like this before their demise....
Screenshot_20180429-203438.png

I use a 22 and enjoy a meal. I don't have that bad of a problem @ a dozen last season. They do repopulate pretty quick. My Dad was good at live trapping them, chasing away sure doesn't work.

Tree squirrels or ground squirrels? Big difference. The 'Squirrelinator' listed above is for ground squirrels, not designed for the tree rats. Do not eat ground squirrels. They are not meant for human consumption. Cats, dogs and other animals are good to go feeding on them, just not you.

Here in Mo. we have gray and red(fox) squirrels. Grays are better eating, but a tad smaller than the reds. Both are very edible.

I live in the middle of the city but I have a pecan tree and three big oak trees in my back yard. This along with my wife’s bird feeders makes my yard irresistible.

This is how I get rid of those damn tree rats. Here are two of my three suppressed .22lr toys. It doesn’t take long at all to eradicate my area of tree rats. I exterminate and a month or so later some more rats move in and get eradicated. It is a nice way to my shooting skills up. I like to go for the head shot with the CZ 455 just to make a humane kill and to stay in practice. The CZ is so quiet that once you nail one and while it is doing the funky chicken the rest stand around looking trying to figure out why. Some may run up into a tree but it doesn’t take long before they are right back on the ground.

230FC103-1322-4B5D-BF6E-D166789528A5.jpeg

00E5938C-F6AC-49E6-8A65-3F0E814CD4D7.jpeg

@73fj40lc
Your ammo choice for the CZ? Getting ready to get into this realm of squirrel killing and was wondering.
I have a .177 that actually does well but the range is to short, purchased a .22 pellet but it is to loud. I need something just right......

If you're worried about noise maybe get a gun that can shoot .22 shorts and get a sub-sonic round?

@73fj40lc
Your ammo choice for the CZ? Getting ready to get into this realm of squirrel killing and was wondering.
I have a .177 that actually does well but the range is to short, purchased a .22 pellet but it is to loud. I need something just right......

I love the CCI Standard .22lr or the CCI .22lr Subsonic HP ammo. Both are subsonic and very accurate. Both the Standard and Subsonic HP are interchangeable accuracy wise using a scope and the POI and trajectory are the same. I usually just use the Standard as I have a few thousand rounds of it. CCI Standard is also the Industry standard .22lr ammo that most firearm and suppressor companies do their accuracy testing with and their quietness testing with.

When using the Standard ammo for tree rats I use the Patco Kelly ACU’RZR tool to form a nasty HP round out of the round nose. It works really well and just takes a little learning curve using the tool. The tool has different forming rods to make different bullet noses for different types of shooting.
Pacotools - Tool discriptions

Personally messing around with .22 shorts is a waste of time. You get better results and more accurate results out of a common everyday Subsonic .22lr round that can be fired in most .22 guns as opposed to the .22 shorts that are very finicky to use.

I also have my custom built 10/22 Target that I built off a Ruger 10/22 receiver with complete Volquartseen and Kidd parts. It is also a very accurate .22 but it can’t touch the CZ in accuracy and quietness departments. The CZ is just scary accurate and quiet. Shooting the CZ you hear the firing pin drop and then the round actually hitting your target. The 10/22 I made very light and it is a great rifle to carry in the woods without getting too heavy and it is also nice being a semi.

You can see who loves to see the .22 rifles come out. She does love some squirrel meat. I haven’t had any issues with the CCI Standard or Subsonic HP cycling my 10/22 or 22/45.

I also have a old .22 cal Crossman pellet rifle that will kill tree rats in very short order. I have had it for over 40 years and it has killed more animals than I can count but it also isn’t near as quiet as the CZ is.

2C909CD0-C512-4840-A7AC-3DA36AD45F72.jpeg

ED1B14B6-4A23-4DEF-86E7-FDE55683A61D.jpeg

Last edited:
I have the obligatory 10/22 that is built up, but I did not get the threaded barrel. Been looking at either the Savage, Ruger or the CZ for the new squirrel eradication platform. I appreciate the CZ feedback.

Agreed on the short .22 ammo, it is not consistent.

I have the obligatory 10/22 that is built up, but I did not get the threaded barrel. Been looking at either the Savage, Ruger or the CZ for the new squirrel eradication platform. I appreciate the CZ feedback.

Agreed on the short .22 ammo, it is not consistent.

Trust me I did the research on bolt action .22lr rifles. I even spent time on several Rimfire forums reading. The general consensus was that for the overall best value it came down to between the Savage MKII FV-SR and the CZ 455. Most of the time it was a CZ 455 Tacticool or the CZ 455 Precision Trainer that was mentioned. CZ 452 was often mentioned but they aren’t made anymore and the used ones are going up in price if you can even find a used one for sale.

Any CZ rifle is an heirloom quality rifle that you can pass down to children and grandchildren. The quality and craftsmanship is unmatched for the price. Most of the time the Savage was very comparable in the accuracy department but the CZ edged it out. The CZ won on pure craftsmanship, long term durability, absolute reliability and the centerfire type design of the rifle. When someone looks at and holds a CZ Rimfire rifle they often make the comment that it looks and feels more like a centerfire rifle than a rimfire rifle because of it’s design and robustness. I often get asked what caliber my CZ 455 is and they are always surprised when I say .22lr.

The Ruger bolt action is nice quality and well made but you can get the CZ cheaper, have better accuracy and the overall craftsmanship is still a little better than the Ruger. The CZ magazines are not near as cheap as the Ruger magazine are and that is a drawback to the CZ.

You can go buy an Anschutz for a couple of grand if you have the money to burn. Anschutz is pretty much top of the line until you get into the ultra high end totally custom competition builds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom