Squeaky Steering Wheel on Turning??? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine squeaks/squeals when it’s colder. Sometimes during the summer. Mine is due to metal to metal contact. Steering shaft rubbing firewall, my rubber boot is long gone.

Back from the dead:

I've been chasing a groaning noise from my steering wheel on cold starts in the morning. While it didn't really concern me, it was quite annoying when I'm already trying to elminate squeaks. It didn't happen in the summer when I'm most likely to work on the truck.

After replacing the firewall steering shaft seal and confirming it was not rubbing on the firewall, I was convinced it was the $300 clock spring. I ordered the clock spring. After it arrived, I was looking online for installation instructions and found several references to groaning noises from either the clock spring or lubing the steering shaft bushing (why didn't I see this before?!?!)

Before replacing the clock spring, I used some Dupont dry lubricant spray on the brass? bushing connected to the driveshaft. I used my cell phone face camera and a red straw on the spray can to easily access the bushing from the bottom. I also opened the clamshell around the steering wheel and sprayed lube from the top. It wasn't really cold this morning but the steering was quiet and very smooth. This was an easy fix and I'm hoping the noise doesn't come back anytime soon.

Bottom and probably the source of the noise. Brown fluid came out of the bushing as I sprayed in there.
1677118978207.png

Top with red straw. The black device with a silver ring is my flashlight.
1677119013092.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom