Spring Over - with OME Leafs. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm going with the Proffitt's kit for SOA on the front, which includes a shackle reversal. The frame horns are not extended with this kit. I'm also going 4-link in the rear...I'm starting to seriously consider going 3-link in the front and not have to worry about sagging springs and ride height any more.

Here is the best info I have about leafs and spring packs for SOA rigs. I think a wagon is a different story because they are heavier but you can kill a set of springs SOA very quickly in a wagon from experience. I imagine wheeling hard SOA with big tires on a 40 has the same effect.

Go to post 40 and keep reading. It is covered in depth. I run 2 add a leafs in the rear and one up front.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410514&page=2

Thanks for the replies. From what I am hearing - and I would love to ask you more questions via telephone Kurt - here are my results:

I have medium Old man emu FJ40 front and rear leaf setups.

1. Remove from the rear the bottom (flat) overload and the next (short) leaf.
2. Remove just the bottom leaf from the front pack.

I can use this configuration until they start to sag, and then add the leafs back in.

Am I hearing you correct? I am running stock 2F, and plan on using 35" tires at least.

I am currently looking fo:

1. what springs to use
2. what rims/wheels to use
3. what steering setup to use
4. where I can find some 5.XX ring&pinions
5. how to swap my 4speed tcase for a 3speed

thanks for all the input
@dmaddox

I’m curious as to the outcome of your discussion with Kurt on this:
1. Remove from the rear the bottom (flat) overload and the next (short) leaf.
2. Remove just the bottom leaf from the front pack.

I also have medium OME on my FJ40 F/R. I was going to pull the bottom two leaves from the fronts. (The overload and the short one above it, or the bottom two leaves). This is on the older OME-13 Spring. Did you do this? What was your result? What was Kurt’s advice?

Thanks for the help!

Hell, I don't even remember my advice from 20 years ago.... nor did I go back and read the thread :D

Edit: read thread. As predicted, I am now running de-tuned OME springs on my SOA FJ40 just as we have set up maaaaany customers with. Love the ride/flex!

Oh, and I said 'new stock springs are not available'. Fast forward, we have new stock spec Japanese springs in stock @ Cruiser Outfitters along with OME & Dobinsons lift applications.

DSC09141.jpeg

Last edited:
Hell, I don't even remember my advice from 20 years ago.... nor did I go back and read the thread :D

Edit: read thread. As predicted, I am now running de-tuned OME springs on my SOA FJ40 just as we have set up maaaaany customers with. Love the ride/flex!

Oh, and I said 'new stock springs are not available'. Fast forward, we have new stock spec Japanese springs in stock @ Cruiser Outfitters along with OME & Dobinsons lift applications.

View attachment 3351063
What is a “de-tuned OME spring”?

I was trying to determine if you concur with removing the overload leaf on the front and the overload and leaf above it on the rear. My application is the older OME Spring not the newer Emu Dakar.

Last edited:
What is a “de-tuned OME spring”?

I was trying to determine if you concur with removing the overload leaf on the front and the overload and leaf above it on the rear. My application is the older OME Spring not the newer Emu Dakar.
In SOA applications (this thread), yes, we often pull springs. Less common but doable in SUA setups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom