Spring compressor around RDU? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

little_joe

SILVER Star
Threads
I know I can rent one from the chain parts places, but the ones they rent out scare me. Does anyone around the RDU area have a proper coil spring compressor I can borrow for a few days? Happy to pick it up, drop it off, provide some beer or cash.

I don't have one, but a buddy up in Virgina bought one of these.....I wouldn't use it in a commercial shop, but for a home garage.....$130 ain't bad at all.

There's also a 4.5 ton version on Amazon.....

I have this. Works fine and doesn't take up floor space.

I have this. Works fine and doesn't take up floor space.

This is identical to what I "rented" from Advance... they worked well, I was a little skeptical but was never in fear I was going to die/lose a body part

Eh, maybe I'll just rent one of those anyway. Not interested in buying as this is a one-time thing (for the 4th time or so).

Eh, maybe I'll just rent one of those anyway. Not interested in buying as this is a one-time thing (for the 4th time or so).

Its been awhile (like 9 years), but I believe you buy it then return it and you don't really pay for anything.

I have that tool and you’re welcome to use it. I might actually use it in a few years.

I rent from Advanced as well however the quality of the rentals is very hit or miss.

I rented one with the threads all boogered up. I still tried to use it instead of doing the right thing and returning it. The nut on the compressor seized in the while tightening it down. I was able to back if off safely but I got a shower of glitter.

BTW, for a spring replacement, I rent two sets. One for the old spring and one for the new spring. It makes the swap go much faster.

Thankfully I can walk or ride my bike over to Advance, O'Reilly's, AutoZone so when I'm ready I can check them all. And I'm not in any rush, in 2 weeks I'll have nothing but time...

I will add I have a fear of these things, had a friend experience a failure and the spring popped loose and hit him in the face. broke his jaw and shattered quite a few teeth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom