Spring Break 2015 - March 21 - 26 - Canyonlands (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Our family has been doing spring breaks trip for several years. Going different places and exploring somewhere new. Three years ago others started coming with us. That year was an epic trip running Kokopelli's Trail with Eric and his kids (https://forum.ih8mud.com/co-colorado...-spring-break-2012-kokopellis-trail-trip.html). Last year was a great trip to the San Rafael Swell with Eric and his kids and Travis and one of his daughters. (https://forum.ih8mud.com/co-colorado...-rafael-swell-spring-break-march-27-31-a.html) , Last year was New Mexico (https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/spring-break-trip-2014-march-23-27-new-mexico-expo.798378/)

This year it is looking like Canyonlands. The challenge here is that the Park uses permits for camping and a lot are already taken, Island in the Sky (White Rim) is not available for the week. In years past we have stayed flexible for when to go to adjust for bad weather. However, due to the permits we go no matter the weather. Sounds more adventurous, eh :cool:

So..I'm gauging interest for this trip to Cayonlands. The plan is for a multi-night, family friendly, expo type trip. More of finding out what's over that next hill or around the next bend mentality and a new camp every night. We will try to get in some side hikes checking out Indian art, ruins, old mining stuff etc. The departure date can be early Sat. 21. Return can be variable for those interested in different length trips.

I would like to be out for 4 or 5 nights. Start in Needles District and end at the Maze. At least one extra 5 gallon can of fuel is a must, wish I got better mileage ;) The drive to the general area I am guessing is a full day from the Springs but well worth it by all accounts.

Some links to places that have caught my eye:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/134693-A-Needles-Tour?highlight=canyonland
http://adventr.co/2014/05/maze-memorial-weekend/

I have a pretty good idea of the plan I just need to know how many rigs/people will be going so we can get reservations. :steer:

Radio contact information

Simplex 146.460 Mhz

repeater use if necessary (http://www.sdarc.us/repeaters/cedar-uhf.html)

Cedar Mtn. (linked, NW of town of Green River)

Repeater Access Information
Repeater Callsign: K7SDC
Output Frequency: 147.140 MHz
Input Frequency: 147.740 MHz
Offset: +600 kHz
CTCSS: 88.5 Hz

Abajo Peak (linked, just west of Monticello)
Output Frequency: 146.610 MHz
Input Frequency: 146.010 MHz
Offset: -600 kHz

Moab (linked, downtown)

Repeater Callsign: K7QEQ
Output Frequency: 146.900 MHz
Input Frequency: 146.300 MHz

Bald Mt. (linked, outside Moab)

Repeater Callsign: K7QEQ
Output Frequency: 146.760 MHz
Input Frequency: 146.160 MHz

Mt. Ellen (linked, west of the Maze)
Output Frequency: 147.080 MHz
Input Frequency: 147.680 MHz
Offset: +600 kHz
CTCSS (Tone SQ): 136.5 Hz

Last edited:
Awesome. Count me and the girls in. 100% for sure. The girls have been very excited about camping since we did the Sand Dunes in October. They want to go on the next "ADVENTURE!!!". Jess has to work so her and the little dude are going to set this one out.

I told my dad about this thread and he'll probably chime in soon too. Pretty sure he'll be coming along as well.

Really looking forward to this trip. I've been wanting to visit the area since I saw Survivorman go to the area (about 10 years ago! :eek:, man, time goes by fast): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0910795/.

Wish we were leaving tomorrow!

Incredible. I'll have the XJ at full force by then. What is the deadline on getting permits? ASAP?

The Park deadline is two days prior, but the challenge is finding more than one site in a campground as some are already taken. So, i don't have a decide by date. The campgrounds are composed of more than one site, typically. Each site has a limit of three vehicles each. So if we have more than three rigs it takes a bit more planning which is okay but may require a bit of tweaking or changing in plans. Sooner the better. It looks like we have three rigs committed and if I know soon we will have at least four then I can get on reservations and planning etc.

Sooo...you going to make this one?

Also, I will update the first post with important details regarding fires, toilets, water, fuel, etc.

Our family has been doing spring breaks trip for several years. Going different places and exploring somewhere new. Three years ago others started coming with us. That year was an epic trip running Kokopelli's Trail with Eric and his kids (https://forum.ih8mud.com/co-colorado...-spring-break-2012-kokopellis-trail-trip.html). Last year was a great trip to the San Rafael Swell with Eric and his kids and Travis and one of his daughters. (https://forum.ih8mud.com/co-colorado...-rafael-swell-spring-break-march-27-31-a.html) , Last year was New Mexico (https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/spring-break-trip-2014-march-23-27-new-mexico-expo.798378/)

This year it is looking like Canyonlands. The challenge here is that the Park uses permits for camping and a lot are already taken, Island in the Sky (White Rim) is not available for the week. In years past we have stayed flexible for when to go to adjust for bad weather. However, due to the permits we go no matter the weather. Sounds more adventurous, eh :cool:

So..I'm gauging interest for this trip to Cayonlands. The plan is for a multi-night, family friendly, expo type trip. More of finding out what's over that next hill or around the next bend mentality and a new camp every night. We will try to get in some side hikes checking out Indian art, ruins, old mining stuff etc. The departure date can be early Sat. 21. Return can be variable for those interested in different length trips.

I would like to be out for 4 or 5 nights. Start in Needles District and end at the Maze. At least one extra 5 gallon can of fuel is a must, wish I got better mileage ;) The drive to the general area I am guessing is a full day from the Springs but well worth it by all accounts.

Some links to places that have caught my eye:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/134693-A-Needles-Tour?highlight=canyonland
http://adventr.co/2014/05/maze-memorial-weekend/

I have a pretty good idea of the plan I just need to know how many rigs/people will be going so we can get reservations. :steer:
I've been wanting to run the Maze district for years. I'd like to think I could make this trip but cannot commit at this time, will let you know if I can join.

Sooo...you going to make this one?

You know-- I think I might. You might even talk me into hiking... Maybe. Lol.

I'll need to talk to you about a couple details. Heather has expressed much interest as well, but I don't want to make the group large enough to cause a logistical challenge.

I'm definitely in! One vehicle, at least 3 people, maybe 5. Do you need a head count for the permits, or jus vehicles?

You know-- I think I might. You might even talk me into hiking... Maybe. Lol.

I'll need to talk to you about a couple details. Heather has expressed much interest as well, but I don't want to make the group large enough to cause a logistical challenge.

Sounds good, let's try to talk tomorrow.

Needles site Bobby Joe is good if you need more than 3 rigs. It is 2 sites right next to each other.

Thanks for the intel about Bobby Joe!

I'm definitely in! One vehicle, at least 3 people, maybe 5. Do you need a head count for the permits, or jus vehicles?

The permits are per site with max of 3 rigs per site so just the number of rigs at this point. Each site is $30/night and sounds like we will need two sites.

I've been wanting to run the Maze district for years. I'd like to think I could make this trip but cannot commit at this time, will let you know if I can join.
okay, keep us posted.

Watched the Survivorman Canyonlands episode again with the girls today. They are very excited, but the little one is afraid we're not going to have enough water and isn't sure she wants to sleep in a cave. :D

Watched the Survivorman Canyonlands episode again with the girls today. They are very excited, but the little one is afraid we're not going to have enough water and isn't sure she wants to sleep in a cave. :D

okay, I guess I have to take that off the schedule...;)

Looks like a 12hour drive if we want to push all the way to campsite 1 (Devil's kitchen) the first day. Travis and Eric do you think the kids can handle that? We can camp earlier if we need to.

Talked to Luke and they are all in, we have 6 rigs total. Travis, I am assuming your father is driving his own rig.

I bought some new maps and will be deep into planning this weekend if anyone wants to swing by and get in on some planning.

Looks like a 12hour drive if we want to push all the way to campsite 1 (Devil's kitchen) the first day. Travis and Eric do you think the kids can handle that? We can camp earlier if we need to.

They make the 12 hour drive to Missouri all the time. Just have to make sure their DVD players are charged up. :D

Travis, I am assuming your father is driving his own rig.

I'm thinking he'll drive his 4Runner, but also might fly along as co-pilot with us in the 100. ??? Will find out for sure this weekend.

I bought some new maps and will be deep into planning this weekend if anyone wants to swing by and get in on some planning.

Might be able to stop by tomorrow evening if you're going to do some planning then. I'll give you a call if I can get up for a while.

This is gonna be awesome! Now that I have a deadline, I have a lot of work to do! Need to put my new light bar up so I can ride behind Travis with it on. Lol.

I understand you will be planning this week so when you figure it out let me know the schedule. Are you planning on leaving the Springs Saturday 21 and returning when? Are there points where in the trip someone could break out and return early? I might be able to make a 4 day trip not so sure about a whole week.

Came up with my 100 series ToDo list for the trip. Looks like I'll be setting the 60 aside for a while. :D

TuneUp
  • Replace spark plugs - ( Denso SK20R11 Iridium ) - purchased DONE!
  • Replace engine oil and oil filter - ( 7 quarts Mobil 1 5W-30 / OEM Toyota 90915-YZZD3 ) - purchased DONE!
  • Replace engine air filter - ( 17801-50040 ) - purchased DONE!
  • Lubricate propeller shaft
  • Re-torque propeller shaft bolt
  • Replace engine coolant
  • Replace automatic transmission fluid
  • Replace transfer case oil
  • Replace front differential oil
  • Replace rear differential oil
  • Rotate tires DONE!
  • Inspect brakes DONE!

Fix / Replace
  • Replace PS Indicator Light - purchased DONE!
  • Reinstall fender well splash guards – clips purchased DONE!
  • Replace old CV boot clamps with McMaster Carr clamps - purchased
  • Fix Right Pull
    • double check tire pressure DONE!
    • get wheels rebalanced (weights torn off) DONE!
    • get white letters facing out :)
    • replace rusted cam bolts / replace missing alignment washer - purchased
    • get alignment when completed

If I’ve got the time & some “wants”…

Last edited:
Ambitious Travis, ;)

Here is a starting point for plans.

day 1 -Springs to Maze overlook
day 2- Maze to Doll house
day 3- Doll House chill day (or skip extra Doll House day and bump remaining days up one)
day 4- out Poison Spring/Dirty Devil to Beef Basin general area (gas in Hite)
day 5 - Devils Kitchen (or Bobby Joe depending on availability and day 3 option)
day 6 - back to Springs

I found out on Rising Sun that day 4-6 may be too ambitious, more details coming soon.

Also, I will need someone to reserve the second camp sites since we have 6 rigs. Need to get the reservations soon as we are loosing options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom