Spotlight wiring help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys!
I have fairly recently purchased an 88 HJ61, and am currently trying to sort out all the little things that my 83 HJ60 had (have so far connected a dual battery system, usb charger, UHF, rear Anderson plug, etc. I thought I had the spotlight wiring sorted, but they now only come on when the indicator lever is pulled back in the 'flash' position... I have read a heap of posts, but am still confused.
This is what I have:
Ebay 70w HID's x 2, with the supplied relay
The switching wire is spliced into the outer headlight (blue and red from memory) - I thought it should be spliced into one of the inner lights as these are the high beams, but Internet searching said to go to the outer light...
The spotlights worked when I first wired it, but now only on the flash setting...
I replaced the sealed beam lights with h4 headlights, and now when the low beam (outer headlight)
image.jpg
is on, there is also a faint glow from the high beam (inner) headlights, and when I switch high beam on, the outers dip to a glow, and the infers come on.... I have read this is due to the h4 lights shorting out behind them, dur to the negative switching, and can be fixed by attaching thin rubber to the back of the lights to insulate them from the mount...?

I thought I would also attach a photo of the dual battery setup....

Thanks for any help - this is starting to frustrate me!!

Oops just checked the colours - I think it is the red/green that I have spliced into - this is on the right hand side outer headlight.
I also read on here a post from Spudman saying to splice into both wires - how, why, etc
I have tested with a test light, but all wires light up the test light.....

I think no one has jumped in (myself included) because the 62s headlights can be tricky to figure out on a good day, with stock lights, and you've installed HIDs & extra driving lights.
That right there can be a troubleshooting headache on an excellent day.

Also it sounds like there could be switching problem in the headlight switch at the wheel.

There could possibly be a floating ground issue that has surfaced as well (at least something to keep in mind).

>>>

If I were to try to figure out what might be going on, I would back up... All the way to the beginning.

I would rule out each component separately, and the only way to do that is to hook the original lights back up to the stock configuration and check out the system again as it was before everything was changed.

Then add one component at a time.

Doing it this way will at least rule out the headlight switch or a new floating ground.

Also, make sure your extra driving/spot lights are being powered and switched off a relay and not drawing their power through the wiring harness.

if you dont care if they go on/off with the headlights high/low, just wire(switching) it to the side marker light this way you can control the spots and they will go on/off when you turn the parking lights on. I have all my aux lights set up like this and I much prefer it over being controlled by the headlights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom