1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spot X 2 way satellite messenger

Discussion in 'Communication & Navigation' started by leucadiacruiser, May 12, 2018.

1. leucadiacruiser

leucadiacruiser SILVER Star

Albums:
    Spot has entered the two way messaging fray with Spot X

2. Kofoed

Kofoed

Interesting. I think in a few years network coverage will be so good, and sat phones so cheap, that Spot wil go the way of the pager.

A note about Spot's business practices. It took me months for them to make good on the device rebate. They want you to sign up for auto-renewal, where they then jack up the supscription rates and tack on "network maintenance fees". You'll not get an invoice....you have to login and check your account to get it or.......watch your credit card statement for the charge....alledgedly. Do not do auto renew, watch for the chickenshit little opt-out box to check that.

leucadiacruiser likes this.
  3. leucadiacruiser

leucadiacruiser SILVER Star

Albums:
    I've also heard trying to cancel your subscription to SPOT isn't easy, either. I've been happy with my Spot Gen3 for a few years. Would like to be able to communicate two way and will eventually pick something. No doubt the waiting game is in our favor. I posted this one up a couple weeks ago.

4. Dharma Dude

Dharma Dude

From the web site, the Spot X offers roughly the same features as the InReach at a lower price. But I don't like the Spot service plans. I would use it part-time for emergencies, maybe 3 months a year, the Spot would cost me $200 because Spot offers only annual plans. The InReach would cost me $105 with tracking, and only $45 without. The Spot *LOSES* hands down on costs unless you use it all year.

5. pappy

pappy photosynthesizing Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Are we still having this debate? I love my inReach. I have the Freedom plan ($28/yr) so I only pay for the months/services I actually use it ($40 for each mo). It just works and I've never had any issues with customer support.

6. Dharma Dude

Dharma Dude

It's good to know about Spots new offerings and to see if they have learned and corrected their non competitive-ness. Clearly they haven't learned.

7. CV Kurt

CV Kurt

The Spot X announcement had me re-consider my InReach Mini order... but in the end, I decided the Spot X wasn't for me.

The weight of the Spot X is twice that of the Mini, making the Spot X more comparable with an inReach SE/SE+ than the Mini. Weight was a key factor in me deciding to hold off buying a SE/SE+ ages ago, holding out for something significantly lighter, like the Mini.

I intend to get a yearly plan... as I want it to always active. I don't want to pre-plan my outings/coverage.

For Spot X, a weekender plan would do me fine. The Adventurer plan would only be cheaper in the unlikely event I used over 700 messages in a year. (Weekender includes 300 messages, additional messages are 0.25 each. Adventurer plan costs $100 more.). So with Spot X, the plan would be $200/yr + $20 activation.

For InReach devices, all the plans include unlimited preset messages... which should cover almost all my outgoing messaging needs. So the text message limit, for me, would be for incoming messages. While I possibly could get by with the low end "Safety" plan ($12/mo, $144/yr), I think the "Recreation" plan would best suit my usage. It includes unlimited tracking points and location pings. So here I'm at $25/mo ($300/yr) + $20 activation.

So, basically, I'm prefer the InReach Mini despite it being $100 more upfront and, for a suitable plan for my usage, $100 more per year for service... mainly due to it being half the weight of the Spot X.