Sporadic starting issues (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an FJ62 and occasionally it just doesn't start. When I turn the key, I hear a "click" but the starter motor doesn't crank and nothing happens (the electrical system does come on). I got a brand new starter installed but the issue persists.

A few other things I've noticed about it:
1. It happens FAR more often when I use an all-metal key than the original key with the black plastic head.
2. Sometimes playing around with the key (adjusting the angle, depth, or pressure) fixes it right away.
3. I can remove the key while driving no problem...maybe this indicates the thing (technical term) the key goes into has been messed with?
4. The ol' bang on the starter motor while turning the key works, but inexplicably so because I replaced the starter motor (replaced it twice actually...once and then another under warranty because we thought it was a motor issue, but it persists)

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

I have an FJ62 and occasionally it just doesn't start. When I turn the key, I hear a "click" but the starter motor doesn't crank and nothing happens (the electrical system does come on). I got a brand new starter installed but the issue persists.

1. It happens FAR more often when I use an all-metal key than the original key with the black plastic head.
2. Sometimes playing around with the key (adjusting the angle, depth, or pressure) fixes it right away.
3. I can remove the key while driving no problem...maybe this indicates the thing (technical term) the key goes into has been messed with?
4. The ol' bang on the starter motor while turning the key works, but inexplicably so because I replaced the starter motor (replaced it twice actually...once and then another under warranty because we thought it was a motor issue, but it persists)

Hi, did you ever find out what was going on with your Fj62 - same thing has been going on with my 89’
I got a new Toyota starter and I also switched out my ignition and it’s still happening. I think it’s some type of electrical wire somewhere.

It's most likely the Electrical Ignition Switch behind the Key, if it's original.

It could be the ignition relay. It’s on the driver side of the dash roughly between fuse panel and steering column. You can see it by putting your head near the floorboard and looking up.

IMG_5329.jpeg

Maybe you could check for loose connections and consider replacing the ignition switch? Hope that helps!

Hi did you have similar issues with no start? And did I changing out the ignition relay fix it??? Thanks.

Yes, I did. It was off and on for about three months and totally random. Each time it would eventually start, but sometimes would take a few turns of the key. I realized it was the relay during a drive from CO to WA. I had been driving all day and had no issues. Pulled off to get gas and it wouldn’t start back up. I checked the relay and it was pretty warm to the touch. Swapped in a new one I brought with me on the trip and it started right up. The issue hasn’t happened since.

Edit: your issue could be the ignition switch as pointed out above. Mine was the relay.

Yes, I did. It was off and on for about three months and totally random. Each time it would eventually start, but sometimes would take a few turns of the key. I realized it was the relay during a drive from CO to WA. I had been driving all day and had no issues. Pulled off to get gas and it wouldn’t start back up. I checked the relay and it was pretty warm to the touch. Swapped in a new one I brought with me on the trip and it started right up. The issue hasn’t happened since.

Edit: your issue could be the ignition switch as pointed out above. Mine was the relay.

That's good, and unusual... Usually a relay will either work or not work, they normally don't fail intermittently. May have been corrosion on the terminals so a new one solved that. They're cheap, anyway. Cheers for finishing the thread.

Hi, My bet is your stater is going out ,How old is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom