Spend money to upgrade or buy a new vehicle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think you have a few minor issues that need to be addressed. Nothing crazy. I sure as sh!t wouldn’t spend $25-30k on an LS swap, again.

I’d call ACC, talk to them, tell them what your plans/goals are and what your budget is. That would be my starting point.

Then you can make an informed decision. The 3FE is bombproof. The EFI relay issue is solved simply by swapping in the Camry relay a la @jonheld.

This is a subject that more 80 owners are facing every day. I am like many that commented here in that there is nothing out there new that really trips my trigger that can replace our 80 and what it does for us.

Here's the thing, rebuild both axles, all new everything. Add a new suspension, all new suspension bushings. Replace the brakes all around, get E-brake working. This is all straight forward stuff and can be done for say $5K. Rebuild the steering box if needed.

This leaves the power train. This is also where most of the problems with 80s are found. You have a couple of choices. Rebuild what you have or do a swap of some flavor. Pretty obvious that I am a fan of the latter. You think you love your 80 now, it gets better with dependable power that you can get parts for at any auto store across the country.

Either way you choose, rebuilding what you have or going with a swap of some sort, putting some money into a vehicle that was overbuilt for a reason makes sense. My wife's 80 has had what we think is a wrist pin knock from the day I bought it, 3 years plus ago. It is getting louder. I don't even consider rebuilding the engine an option. I have a 5.3L sitting on a stand looking for a home :)

I have two cars: a 2013 GTI for a daily driver and my 95 80. The GTI is tuned with stage 1+, gets 30 mpg, and large enough for my family. The Cruiser is our extra vehicle. I typically drive it to work on Friday and around town on the weekend. Most of the time it sits in the driveway. If I had to sell one, it would be a very hard decision but more than likely it would be the GTI. The Cruiser does everything well, it just does it at the expense of gas. Having two vehicles is also nice in that if the Cruiser or GTI has an issue, I always have a spare to fall back on.

I just recommend the LS because its transformed my 80 into basically a 200 series power-wise. The swap done by the previous owner is a mess(which Im trying to clean up) but it runs well. The 3fe is a good motor, but if its like most 3fe motors these days, its leaking from every seal and gasket including valve seals, and likely needs all hoses replaced. To do that you might as well pull the motor to get to everything easily. 2 main things age components mechanical components- mileage/hours run, and time. So your choice is to bring the 3fe back to reliable condition and keep the 155hp motor, or you could spend more and get 300hp. Depends on your circumstances and what your looking for in a rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom