Speedometer issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
when I got it the speedometer odometer on my ’71 didn’t work, so I took it apart and cleaned and re lubed it. Still didn’t work. Speedometer cable was broken so just replaced it.
now the odometer still doesn’t work, and the speedometer just bounces around wildly.
🤬🤬🤬 (And of course you can’t just get the speedo/odometer mechanism)

Usually, if the needle bounces, the cable is catching on something as it spins

It could be the cable or gear but many times speedometers that bounce around are a sign of impending doom. The bushing in the housing gets worn out and the 2 pieces that should miss each other by fractions of an inch start to touch as the shaft wobbles around.

You can test the speedometer by removing to and running it with a drill. If it is catching like this if is the speedometer.

I should have a replacement speedometer with a rebuilt working odometer. In 71 believe you should have a plastic housing and a screw in cable. Send me a pm if you want to go that route.

Jack.

It could be the cable or gear but many times speedometers that bounce around are a sign of impending doom. The bushing in the housing gets worn out and the 2 pieces that should miss each other by fractions of an inch start to touch as the shaft wobbles around.

You can test the speedometer by removing to and running it with a drill. If it is catching like this if is the speedometer.

I should have a replacement speedometer with a rebuilt working odometer. In 71 believe you should have a plastic housing and a screw in cable. Send me a pm if you want to go that route.

Jack.
I don’t want to sound like a dummy, but there’s no way around it.
how do you PM?

I don’t want to sound like a dummy, but there’s no way around it.
how do you PM?
This is a pretty fancy forum, around here we "start conversation"..
Click on user name, then start a conversation

I had the same issue as you on a 71. I took it apart, took off all That hardened grease and re-lubed... either the worm or one of the brass gears looked pretty worn out but it continues to work after 5 years .... Very surprised with that from how chewed up it was. It also had bouncy needle, such as yours . What fixed it for me was taking out the speedometer cable out from its sleeve and greasing it up.

I know you said you put in a new cable though; but maybe it could be the necessary fix? Also make sure that the cable isnt bent or damaged, it could snag and cause an issue turning the needle.

Jack.
I don’t wanna sound like a dummy but,
how do you PM?

Jack.
I’ve discovered the problem. This main shaft that the cable screws into has an unacceptable amount side to side play, and because of that it’s not contacting with the other gear that is supposed to turn the odometer.
when I put a pencil connected to a drill into it and run the drill it works perfectly as long as it’s straight in, but tilt it and it moves away from the gear.
now the $100,000 question is,
how to deal with that play?

595A18F1-859A-4CE5-8164-7E8C75C7C6A6.jpeg

45D0745D-9D23-43B5-AA5C-1F259C053EE4.jpeg

Jack.

5D114EA3-3641-4747-8FB2-1F171CBD9A77.jpeg

441D2C4D-796C-4FEB-A4D3-E7CD11A42369.jpeg

A988BE0C-E12F-4564-8C50-BA69DB7DC2AF.jpeg

Does the speedo end of your new cable have male threads? If not, it’s not correct. The male end going into the speedo drive should self align and not have the issue you’re describing, unless a shim or washer was misplaced in the rebuild.

For the bouncing, try taking the drive cable out of the sheath and then, as you slide it back in, lightly coat it with wheel bearing grease. No way I can type that out and not feel like I am writing something dirty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom