Speedo issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Speedometer stopped working after I got my fj40 back from a transmission rebuild. Cable seemed old so I swapped it out for a new one. Tested cable with a drill before hooking it up to the transfer case... speedometer worked with drill!

finished installing cable and took the truck around the block but no luck with the speedometer..

Checked drive gear and it seems ok (photos attached)

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!

6CA9BCEC-74BA-4D86-961D-425723CCAC94.jpeg

4825274A-96BE-426E-A2AB-0BBA470BBA48.jpeg

649BD00F-27F6-482D-9BA5-33B83BD595EC.jpeg

with the speedo cable off the transfer, jack the rear wheel up and spin the driveshaft and see if the drive gear turns

rotate the driveshaft by hand, it should be connected to the drive gear, you should be able to see the drive gear spin when the drive shaft is rotated
chock the front wheels, trans out of gear, park brake off, when the rear end is jacked up you will be able to rotate the driveshaft by hand

I realize you have tested it with a drill...BUT...it is very easy to accidentally pull it out a bit too far when attaching it to the T case.

And make double sure you have the t case end fully and correctly seated when you put in that end.

I realize you have tested it with a drill...BUT...it is very easy to accidentally pull it out a bit too far when attaching it to the T case.

And make double sure you have the t case end fully and correctly seated when you put in that end.
I thought of this as well. I will triple check it’s in the transfer case correctly. Seems like its not a snug fit and could easily fall out the other direction a bit before I fully screw it back on.. hmmm

And remember on the t case end there is also a ‘slot’ that the cable must insert in to. It can be tight as all get out...but if the cable end is not in that slot, the speedo will not work...that is what actually turns the cable...which then turns the speedo at the cluster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom