Speedo and tach gauges read high on long drives (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just updated from my 2000 LC to a 2004 LC and went on my first longer highway drive this weekend (3.5 hours each way to Steamboat Springs and back). I had just replaced the battery and hadn't noticed before on shorter drives, but after about 1.5 hours the speedo and tach started reading really high (first clue was that it was SO SMOOTH and quiet and all of the traffic was going 95mph in a 55 zone). When I finally came to a stop the speedo said 30mph and at idle it was supposedly running at 3000rpm. After turning the car off for a few minutes everything returned to normal. It did the exact thing on my return trip.

I feel like this is an issue with the instrument cluster, as the rest of the car and MPG reading on the factory NAV screen seems appropriate. Any ideas? Do I need to do a capacitive disharge on the car (maybe got a voltage spike when I jumped it before replacing the battery?) or are there other factors at play here? I couldn't find any threads about this topic.

Now that is an odd one.

Update on this issue - after the car sits for a while (4-7 days) the speedo doesn't show any speed, but tach and other guages seem to be fine. The cruise works fine, so the car knows how fast it's going. Do I just have a flaky instrument panel that needs to be replaced or can I replace individual parts of the panel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom