speaker install writeup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Huge thanks to everyone who has contributed to the thread. I just replaced the front speakers in my ‘07 and this thread made it so much easier.

My truck had JBL speakers, identical to post #30. I did a few things a little differently though.
First, don’t cut the sealing ring out between the factory woofer and its mount. If you carefully pry the old speaker up with a flat blade it is easy to keep intact, stuck to the mount and reused. It was there for a reason so I chose to keep it in place.
Instead of using adapter rings for the woofers and introducing another variable I just chose to turn the mounting holes in the speaker into slots and use washers on the original screws. I would have liked a larger OD washer but it seems to work just fine.
0703BE33-9CE9-4C74-A80E-579F1F73F5BA.jpeg

As mentioned in other threads the Morel tweeters are huge.
0EDB989F-C5A7-4940-9D4C-967FD4A63818.jpeg

A little “porting” with the dremel to the tweeter cover and they are able to fit, snugly.
1ECCDA48-9FFC-44E9-A31D-1E827C2683D5.jpeg
C7736D99-25FC-488D-B830-B99E9C40273F.jpeg

Lastly, wiring them up with the crossover. I wanted to be as minimally invasive to the factory wiring harness as possible. The Morel tweeters have long wires hardwired in so they went straight to the crossover. I cut the original tweeters off of their wires, leaving them as long as possible, and ran them down to the amp side of the crossover. They were just barely long enough to do the job. The only cut I then had to make to the wiring harness itself was for the woofer, using its original wire I cut it up as close to the loom as I could and routed it to the crossover. Also, just barely long enough.
F63EAB09-5EFF-4BFE-9480-431999BB9686.jpeg

Everything works as it should! Now on to the rears and the sub.

Thank you for those pics of the drivers and pass side +and -. Was able to wire up my crossover and it sounds great now. I think I have to play around with the tweeters because they are giving me this buzzing noise. I tried at 0db and -3db and still had that issue. Might have accidently blown them.

The wires coming from them are not polar sensitive are they?

Thank you for those pics of the drivers and pass side +and -. Was able to wire up my crossover and it sounds great now. I think I have to play around with the tweeters because they are giving me this buzzing noise. I tried at 0db and -3db and still had that issue. Might have accidently blown them.

The wires coming from them are not polar sensitive are they?
Buzzing is usually a ground somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom