Sparatic Tailgate lock Failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the past couple months I have had 2 separate occasions where the tailgate locking mechanism has failed. The remote or the key did not work.
On the first occasion, after my fiancé's grandfather funeral, I volunteered my LC to transport some flowers from the church to the reception. I pulled the car around to the front and to my surprise, I was unable to unlock the rear door. I first tried remote, this has never been an issue before. Then tried the key in the key hole, the key would turn both ways, but still the tail gate would not unlock. Finally I climbed in and tried to unlock from the inside. This also did not work. In the moment I just folded down the seats and put the flowers in through the side passenger door.
That night when I went to take it apart to take a look at it, I gave it a try with the remote and it worked. I then tried the key and it also worked. I was a bit perplexed, but just shrugged it off.
About a month later I took a ski trip with some buddies. The back was pretty full of gear and luggage. When arriving to the resort, I was again unable to unlock the rear with remote, then tried the key.... nothing. Final resort, moved some things around and try from the inside. That worked! I didn't lock the rear for the rest of the weekend. Idk what may have caused this, but the only thing I could think of that may have affected it is that those 2 days, the car was warm and sitting in the sun. I would like to solve this issue before the warm summer days. any feedback would help. Thanks!

This is purely a WAG since never encountered, but....

Parts diagrams imply cables running to the latches on both sides - cable stretch? You would have to open it up to see just how far the mechanism moves, and if there was lots more it could move (implying the stretch).

Sounds like a dying actuator motor.

One of two things come to mind. Dying actuator motor, as mentioned. Luckily, it's the easiest actuator to change out.

Another possibility is that your cargo shifted to the rear, preventing the manual lock from opening. it's unclear if in your first scenario you had any other cargo in your truck, but it sounds distinctly possible in your second. From experience, this will keep your hatch locked, forcing you to unload the cargo through the rear passenger doors to free up the switch.

My black one does this ONLY if it's out in the sun I'm sure the actuator is about dead but as long as I keep the back end out of direct sun... it works... but a 30-36" long stick/rod/dowel with a small hook on the end will reach it and manually unlock it... which is another southern redneck fix that doesn't require too much effort... "if it works "sometimes" it ain't broke"

I just repaired my rear hatch lock actuator motor. It quit completely out of the blue. What happened to mine was the oil separated from the grease with age and infiltrated the motor brushes. The motor brushes sit at the bottom as it is oriented in the hatch, and you know what all runs downhill.......that's right. Gummed it all up. Pretty easy fix. Take it all apart, including motor, clean commutator, brushes and bearing with electrical cleaner and put it all back together. Glued the case back together with slow "Zap" (crazy glue). Now I hear a VERY strong "Thunk" when I lock or unlock the doors.
By the way, the case came apart surprisingly easy with just even prying all around. No case damage except minor pry marks. Not a bad job really. Pry loose the top trim and remove it, then the bottom trim (after removing the pull handle), then you have complete access to the rod clips and mounting bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom