Builds SouthTxGX’s question and build thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Crazy money for a torque wrench that's 3/8" and only goes to 125.
Hopefully the price he can get me is much less. The gearwrench model I was looking at was around $240 and had a couple features I really liked.

Haven’t been up to much lately, but I did get a hi lift and a set of maxtrax mounted up on the rack. Been looking for a hitch mounted carrier, but my LCAs need to be replaced soon so I’ll be putting in an order with total chaos for a set of theirs, but haven’t decided if I’m going to go with a set of secondary shocks yet.

2AFBB259-66C0-4290-86DA-C12C359129F2.jpeg

I might have a Detours tire carrier lined up. It’ll need new paint or some bedliner, but it’s already modified to work with a high clearance hitch and it’s less than full price so I can’t complain. I’m glad I held out and that the guy selling the Rig’d ultraswing for full price refused to leave his couch because 40 miles was somehow $50 in gas for him lol. It’s not a long term thing, but it’ll get me by for now. I’ve been in contact with a few companies about them finally building 460 bumpers and some have stated that they plan to start this fall so we’ll see how that goes. It’s always good to have more options.
6AB9B825-AC86-4B17-B244-3DDF3CE18DE6.jpeg

I’m probably going to go over the carrier to remove any surface rust that’s accumulated since it was stripped and prime it and shoot some duplicolor rattle can bedliner over that. Also thought about just using a textured spray paint. Any other recommendations?

0BAC525E-F629-4EA0-BF1B-8E6E87848B98.jpeg

I'd just use Rust-oleum and call 'er done!
Unless you have the bed liner material already sitting in your garage, I wouldn't spend the extra $$ for it.
Keep it simple (KISS) and something that's easy to touch up if/when it gets scratched or dinged.

Powder coat baby!!!

So the detours carrier didn’t work with the metaltech hitch. The pin hole in the hitch was too far back. I didn’t feel like switching it out for a 4Runner hitch since the threads in a couple of the bolt holes were in bad shape so I sold it without even getting to use it. I immediately sent the money to a local fab guy and he’s mocking up the in bumper carrier on another 460 and getting it ready for final welding and coating. I should’ve just went this route from the beginning, but I’m not known for making great choices lol. Unfortunately I won’t be able to pick it up for a few weeks due to work, but it’s nice to know it’s getting done without a 6-8 month lead time.

00E9747E-6EAB-4C0D-851C-FBE8637ADC76.jpeg

7962A6A5-53CD-4B1C-8835-E167BB73508A.jpeg

959C5948-3EBD-42A3-A9E7-79E0167CDE1D.jpeg

Just a head's up, I encourage people building or locating their spare tire on the back to try and keep it as low as possible.
Three reasons:
  1. Visibility! I really, really wish my spare was about 6" lower! I miss my rear window. I only have a peak-a-boo view now.
  2. Albeit, this isn't a biggie, but it does lower your center of gravity (CG)
  3. If you have a flat, and actually need your spare, you're not having it bounce as far when dropping it or lifting it as high, especially if you have any back issues.
Now, if none of this matters, just ignore this post. But since you are having this fabricated, you can make some choices.

Just a head's up, I encourage people building or locating their spare tire on the back to try and keep it as low as possible.
Three reasons:
  1. Visibility! I really, really wish my spare was about 6" lower! I miss my rear window. I only have a peak-a-boo view now.
  2. Albeit, this isn't a biggie, but it does lower your center of gravity (CG)
  3. If you have a flat, and actually need your spare, you're not having it bounce as far when dropping it or lifting it as high, especially if you have any back issues.
Now, if none of this matters, just ignore this post. But since you are having this fabricated, you can make some choices.
I’m used to the view being blocked some since I previously had a fj cruiser. I’m also 6’4” so the height isn’t much of an issue.

Reactions: r2m
So the custom built carrier did not work out. After mine was built but not installed yet a good friend of mine had a dual swingout setup built along with a bash bar and it was overall just a big mess. Lots of stuff done that didn’t need to be and the build quality was crap. I wasn’t about to take a chance so I picked up the carrier and sold it to someone who knew what was going on, but didn’t care. After trying to convince a few companies to make me a bumper without success I just broke down and ordered a victory rear bumper with one of the adventure carriers. Wish it was higher clearance, but beggars can’t be choosers. We have a group of 16 vehicles going to Merus in November so hopefully it arrives with enough time to do the install.

Getting a new roof rack put on next week. Tired of the rhino rack sitting so high and leaking. Their mounting solutions are just plain trash as well. Got quite a bit of stuff to do before the trip so I’ll be posting more frequently.

80C373A3-5ECA-436B-8F56-D998A4A41D0B.jpeg

So the custom built carrier did not work out. After mine was built but not installed yet a good friend of mine had a dual swingout setup built along with a bash bar and it was overall just a big mess. Lots of stuff done that didn’t need to be and the build quality was crap. I wasn’t about to take a chance so I picked up the carrier and sold it to someone who knew what was going on, but didn’t care. After trying to convince a few companies to make me a bumper without success I just broke down and ordered a victory rear bumper with one of the adventure carriers. Wish it was higher clearance, but beggars can’t be choosers. We have a group of 16 vehicles going to Merus in November so hopefully it arrives with enough time to do the install.

Getting a new roof rack put on next week. Tired of the rhino rack sitting so high and leaking. Their mounting solutions are just plain trash as well. Got quite a bit of stuff to do before the trip so I’ll be posting more frequently.

View attachment 3053594
Don't forget to silicone ALL the access mounting points on your rack!
At first I too had leaking, then after silicon, no leaks since. That's been about 3 years now.

Don't forget to silicone ALL the access mounting points on your rack!
At first I too had leaking, then after silicon, no leaks since. That's been about 3 years now.
I’ve already done that. I’ve siliconed inside the bolt tubes, around the mounting point holes, and threw a bunch around the bolt heads. I still get a musty smell after heavy rain. The Sherpa mounting is supposed to be more resistant to leaking. I’ll be getting a roof top tent either before the Trip in November or soon after so leaking should be less of an issue then.

Last edited:
I’ve already done that. I’ve siliconed inside the bolt tubes, around the mounting point holes, and threw a bunch around the bolt heads. I still get a musty smell after heavy rain. The Sherpa mounting is supposed to be more resistant to leaking. I’ll be getting a roof top tent either before the Trip in November or soon after so leaking should be less of an issue then.
Another suggestion, although I'm sure it's very humid where you live, but I wonder if the musty smell after a rain is not being caused by the humidity, moisture and rain outside, but the moisture inside that hasn't completely dried out yet.
Have you put some big 'ol fans in it with ALL the windows down or if in a garage, all the doors open for a day or two?
You may just have some insulation and padding that hasn't dried out yet.
Musty smells usually are not a "fresh" smell, but something that has been sitting in dampness.
Hope you figure this out!

Another suggestion, although I'm sure it's very humid where you live, but I wonder if the musty smell after a rain is not being caused by the humidity, moisture and rain outside, but the moisture inside that hasn't completely dried out yet.
Have you put some big 'ol fans in it with ALL the windows down or if in a garage, all the doors open for a day or two?
You may just have some insulation and padding that hasn't dried out yet.
Musty smells usually are not a "fresh" smell, but something that has been sitting in dampness.
Hope you figure this out!
It usually happens when it rains hard and it’s parked. I’ll get in it after it’s been sitting a while and I’ll get a faint wet smell. While it could be something else, the rack needs to be changed anyway. I’m just tired of the extra height and I haven’t been impressed with the company as a whole when it comes to mounts or customer service. Sherpa might not be much different for all I know, but I know a couple of guys with their racks and they’re pretty solid and the fact that I can get all the mounts and accessories locally is a huge plus.

Reactions: r2m
After selling almost everything I own I’m finally making progress on the more expensive stuff in preparation for the November trip. Rear bumper was ordered last week so I figure 80ish more days until that shows up. Front bumper will have to wait until after the trip. Next big items on the list is the rest of the total chaos suspension stuff. Been going back and forth on it for a while and I’ve decided to just get it done. When that’s getting installed I’ll get the bmc done as well and have the front adjusted for a little more height. With all the weight removed in the rear I’m hoping to get away with my current springs when the bumper goes on, but I’ll probably order a set of springs just in case. The only other big thing before the trip is drawers and a fridge slide from goose gear.

There’s a whole lot of smaller items I need to get like a skid plates, gmrs radio setup, some extra lighting, and water storage for showering and other tasks. Probably also pick up a kaon table for meal prep as well. Trips already paid for so unless something major happens there’s no backing out of it now.

It usually happens when it rains hard and it’s parked. I’ll get in it after it’s been sitting a while and I’ll get a faint wet smell. While it could be something else, the rack needs to be changed anyway. I’m just tired of the extra height and I haven’t been impressed with the company as a whole when it comes to mounts or customer service. Sherpa might not be much different for all I know, but I know a couple of guys with their racks and they’re pretty solid and the fact that I can get all the mounts and accessories locally is a huge plus.
Really love my Gamiviti rack! Low profile, room for proximity lighting, and custom to what you want.
Gamiviti

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom