South's FJ40 "Rebuild" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lockers Worked great. Had a great trip until power steering pump locked up. Thankfully it was the end of the day right by camp. It's going to be refabed in a couple of weeks. I wonder if I take the spring and plunger out of it for a new one would be ok? I got this one from west Texas off-road.

I would contact West Texas and see what they offer to do. You have so little time on that pump they should make it right.

Don't tell them about the belt issue ;)

Easiet for me is buy a new pump and swap spring, plunger and hose fitting out. That way I don't have to send them mine. This will be redone in less than 2 weeks. I don't have time to send it to them. Belt will be fixed also.

Besides when I received the first pump it leaked. One of the bolt holes had the back pieces broke off. Not sure if I f'ed it up by putting to long of a bolt in it or if it was cracked to begin with. I figured I did it so I bought new pump and swapped out important stuff.

Knock on wood... I put a new pump on and tweaked my mounting brackets so the belt is damn near perfect. Also put in a inline filter. It seems to be working fine. I have driven around 300 miles with no issues. I cleaned up my fan as well. I had to shave about 1/8" off so it would have plenty of room to clear my pulley bolts on the PS pump.
After driving it around I noticed one of shocks on the rear was leaking oil. They were crappy rancho so no big loss. I reread JTTMT thread on how to build a SOA 40. Copied his shock setup. Ordered some Bilstein for front and rear.
Front. 33-185576
Rear. 33-104652
Ordered some f250 shock towers. Man getting the old shock towers off is a pain in the azz. Would be easier if fenders and hoses were out of the way. Everything in:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Also dropped the skid plate to fix speedo gear. Found out is was a 6x18. It was completely separated from the shaft and had a few broke teeth. Called Georg to see if that's the right size and he confirmed it. Asked him about the cable being sort of hard to turn. He asked me how close to the exhaust it was and I told him it was 1.5 to 2" away by the firewall. He said it most likely melted on the inside from the heat. Luckily I have a new replacement cable. Ordered speedo kit from Beno that should be here soon. Will be nice to have a working speedometer again. On a final note I finally fixed my horn!

If you do need to separate the mounts maybe you could weld some tabs like these on the crossmember to raise the upper mount.

Long Curved Shock Tab (Pair)

And JT's tha man!

I consulted Jt and Jrob and they said that's about the same as JTs.

I help my tape up to the screen, applied the Pythagorean Theorem since the shocks are angled, and it looks like the available uptravel is similar to the distance to the bumpstop.

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom