Some dash lights won't turn off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Vehicle: 1986 HJ61 12V 12HT
Background: Went offroading yesterday with no issues at all. Bumpy trail, real dusty.
Issue: Woke up this morning and noticed that the Fuel/water separator light, air intake light, and battery light stay on continuously. Drained the fuel/water separator and changed air filter, lights are still on, even when driving around town. Any tips? Anyone have a wiring diagram by chance? I'm thinking there might be some sort of relay that connects all three.

Stephen

Check your voltage. Did your alternator charge ? So, check your alternator. Check your voltage regulator. Check your alternator brush.

Might be time to an alternator overhaul

1.jpg
2.jpg

I can't seem to find the voltage regulator? I see a small plate on the back of the alternator but not sure if its under there or not. I'm not sure if they moved the voltage regulator to another spot on the vehicle or not. Thanks for the images!

That may help you...
1.jpg
2.jpg

This is what the back end of mine looks like, which I'm thinking it's without the IC Regulator, although the images don't look exact. I have a 12V too.

IMG_2201.JPG

IMG_2202.JPG

Vehicle: 1986 HJ61 12V 12HT
Background: Went offroading yesterday with no issues at all. Bumpy trail, real dusty.
Issue: Woke up this morning and noticed that the Fuel/water separator light, air intake light, and battery light stay on continuously. Drained the fuel/water separator and changed air filter, lights are still on, even when driving around town. Any tips? Anyone have a wiring diagram by chance? I'm thinking there might be some sort of relay that connects all three.

Stephen
Those warning lights do have a common link.
HJ61's have a "bulb check" system for checking that the warning bulbs are all ok.
When you turn the ignition on without starting the engine, the instrument warning lights should all come on, but when the engine is started and running the lights will be off.
I don't have a wiring diagram but pretty sure there is a relay involved.
Perhaps someone can show the FACTORY HJ61 diagram for the bulb check wiring?

I know its an old thread. But I have the same problem, after I crashed my alternator. Turbo (Green&Red), Battery and Transmission lights are on all the time when the engine is running. First I thought it is the charge light relay, wich is below the glovebox behind the plastic panel on the right side. But I don't have this relay, I think because this car ist from 1989. I have a new original alternator regulator (external) and I checked all mass/groundings. Alternator overhauled and new brushes. Do you have any idea what can help? Would be fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom